• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The U.S. is more united than any other wealthy democracy. Is there a way to cut through the media lies and manipulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a theory that Americans are more united than what we are being led to believe. The Twitter Files have proven manipulation in the form of shadowbanning, censoring and permanent bans initiated by the FBI and other agencies. This limiting of free speech of one side of the debate allows the corporate media to amplify the only voices left to the masses, making them believe this is the majority opinion on any topic.

Let's have an honest discussion and see what we can agree on. I'll go first with an easy one.

Lobbyists.

They should be banned completely. At the very least, every elected and nominated position in all of government, federal, state and local, should wear patches on their suit jackets of all the lobbyists they are beholden to like NASCAR drivers do with their sponsors.

Let's keep it civil and on topic with a positive attitude.

Aaaaand, go!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They should be banned completely. At the very least, every elected and nominated position in all of government, federal, state and local, should wear patches on their suit jackets of all the lobbyists they are beholden to like NASCAR drivers do with their sponsors.
Getting rid of lobbyists would dis-proportionally harm the republicans. So I'm ok with that.

Clearly the US is pretty divided, if the last presidential election is anything to go by.

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting rid of lobbyists would dis-proportionally harm the republicans. So I'm ok with that.
You mean it hurts the uniparty.
Clearly the US is pretty divided, if the last presidential election is anything to go by.
I ask once again. Are we being told the truth, especially after what we have learned what the government was doing on social media for years now? How do we know if we are divided if millions are being censored?

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would hope we would agree on the the charter of rights but people like smf here would have you injected with harmful self replicating lipid nano-particle recombinant mrna against your will for his benefit.

i agree lobbyists and the idea of "companies deserve the same rights as people" can F right off.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean it hurts the uniparty.

I ask once again. Are we being told the truth, especially after what we have learned what the government was doing on social media for years now? How do we know if we are divided if millions are being censored?
You'll have to explain "the uniparty".

You can know you're divided, because a little under half the people wanted Donald Trump to be president.

Quite how many people would have been suckered in to vote for Trump if the small amount of disinformation that was being removed, was allowed to be pushed in peoples faces is another matter.
Post automatically merged:

but people like smf here would have you injected with harmful self replicating lipid nano-particle recombinant mrna against your will for his benefit.
I just wanted the conspiracy theorists to do the decent thing and shut the fuck up, I don't have a problem with people who would otherwise choose not to be vaccinated.

I don't think you're qualified to determine whether they are harmful or not either.

But hey, not long to go now right?

https://www.poynter.org/?ifcn_misin...eived-any-form-of-the-vaccine-in-the-shocking

Last edited by smf,

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to explain "the uniparty".
Democrats and their neocon allies like Mitch McConnell and Mitt Romney.
You can know you're divided, because a little under half the people wanted Donald Trump to be president.
We can have a difference of opinion and still be a united country. At least it used to be that way.
Quite how many people would have been suckered in to vote for Trump if the small amount of disinformation that was being removed, was allowed to be pushed in peoples faces is another matter.
Multiple polls have shown that 15%+ would have voted for Trump if the FBI didn't lie and suppress the Hunter laptop story. That's more than enough to change the result of the election.

Regardless, I think you are on the wrong thread. The thread about our divisions is down the hall to the left. Please stay on topic here.

Reactions: Snintendog

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Democrats and their neocon allies like Mitch McConnell and Mitt Romney.
Mkay.

We can have a difference of opinion and still be a united country. At least it used to be that way.
Not since Trump, that was his whole shtick. Your lot spent four years trolling democrats over the win, collecting their tears etc. The US is going to take a long time to recover from the damage caused by Trump.

Multiple polls have shown that 15%+ would have voted for Trump if the FBI didn't lie and suppress the Hunter laptop story. That's more than enough to change the result of the election.
And that is quite worrying, if an election can be won because some gullible people are fed a non-story.

Why do you think Trump allowed the story to be "suppressed"??

In March 2022, The Washington Post published the findings of two forensic information analysts it had retained to examine 217 gigabytes of data provided to the paper on a hard drive by Republican activist Jack Maxey, who represented that its contents came from the laptop. One of the analysts characterized the data as a "disaster" from a forensics standpoint. The analysts found that people other than Hunter Biden had repeatedly accessed and copied data for nearly three years; they also found evidence that people other than Biden had accessed and written files to the drive, both before and after the New York Post story.[3] In September 2020, someone created six new folders on the drive, including with the names "Biden Burisma," "Big Guy File," "Salacious Pics Package" and "Hunter. Burisma Documents." One of the analysts found evidence someone may have accessed the drive contents from a West Coast location days after The New York Post published their stories about the laptop

Regardless, I think you are on the wrong thread. The thread about our divisions is down the hall to the left. Please stay on topic here.
Just like republicans always do, cancel anyone who disagrees with you and just shout louder into your echo chamber.

That can't go wrong eh. I disagree with the entire premise of this thread and I made my point.

Last edited by smf,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Because it used to be just differences of opinion. Now it's Republicans stating definitively that they cannot coexist with certain groups of people, and taking away their ability to discriminate against/demonize those groups might as well be the same thing as ripping up the constitution. Trump wasn't the only cause of political decorum disappearing, but he definitely brought all the narcissistic sociopaths out from underneath their bridges and rocks.

• Angry

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at who all voted to give American taxpayer money to secure other countries' borders. That's the uniparty.
Not since Trump, that was his whole shtick. Your lot spent four years trolling democrats over the win, collecting their tears etc. The US is going to take a long time to recover from the damage caused by Trump.
You shouldn't let a billionaire to live rent free in your head. At least charge him rent.
And that is quite worrying, if an election can be won because some gullible people are fed a non-story.
Unlike in the UK, the US government is strictly forbidden from infringing on Americans 1st Amendment rights because we are citizens and not subjects.
Just like republicans always do, cancel anyone who disagrees with you and just shout louder into your echo chamber.
The left invented cancel culture. You're just mad that somebody else uses it better. You couldn't even cancel Goya, lol.
That can't go wrong eh. I disagree with the entire premise of this thread and I made my point.
Of course you disagree with the premise of this thread. The left thrives on division.

So I can put you down as a supporter of lobbyists since you believe we can't agree on anything, amirite?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't let a billionaire to live rent free in your head. At least charge him rent.
The left invented cancel culture. You're just mad that somebody else uses it better. You couldn't even cancel Goya, lol.
Couldn't even keep from stoking division in your own thread about unity, lmao. Somehow I'm not surprised.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't help that leftists thrive on division. The sole reason that you are commenting here is to gloat that leftists thrive on division.
I'm commenting to point out that you're wrong. Yes, lobbyists are a problem, but more within the realm of too much money in politics. They aren't the ones doing the most to divide the nation, that would be the leadership (and I use the term loosely) that Republicans are choosing to vote for during primaries. The party on a national level hasn't even had an official policy platform for years, which means all they have to fall back on is hatred and ignorance.

• Angry

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at who all voted to give American taxpayer money to secure other countries' borders. That's the uniparty.
You really should start charging them rent.

Unlike in the UK, the US government is strictly forbidden from infringing on Americans 1st Amendment rights
That is factually incorrect. Jurors aren't allowed to talk about an ongoing case for example, which would appear to infringe on their 1st amendment rights.

Removing tweets also does not violate your first amendment rights.

You'll have to prove that the left invented it. But I do agree with you that the right use it far more extensively.

Of course you disagree with the premise of this thread. The left thrives on division.
The right thrives on shutting down anyone that disagrees.

So I can put you down as a supporter of lobbyists since you believe we can't agree on anything, amirite?
You obviously can't read.

Last edited by smf,

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is factually incorrect. A jury is strictly forbidden to talk about an ongoing case for example, which infringes on their 1st amendment rights.
A courtroom is not a public forum for open discussion. A judge has complete control over who speaks and when.
Removing tweets also does not violate your first amendment rights.
If the removal request is initiated by the government, it most certainly is a violation.
You'll have to prove that the left invented it. But I do agree with you that the right use it far more extensively.
https://www.insider.com/cancel-culture-meaning-history-origin-phrase-used-negatively-2020-7

The phrase "cancel culture" experienced notable growth in 2016 and 2017, particularly on Black Twitter, according to research by Insider and reporting by Merriam-Webster and Vox. Insider identified fewer than 100 tweets or threads with the phrase "cancel culture" before 2018.

Black Twitter, the bastian of alt-right personalities, lol
The right thrives on shutting down anyone that disagrees.
Shut down how? The right doesn't control any social media company to be able to shut people down. Maybe you can provide examples of the right shutting down anyone who disagrees.
You obviously can't read.
Maybe you can't write. Did you think about that?

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The idea that american politicians are united is the funniest thing i've ever read
Just because it is funny to you does not mean that it is not true. Of course, you could always show how Mitch McConnell is not voting yes for everything that Biden wants because he knows the incoming House would pump the brakes on all of this spending.
and this thread also proves America's failed education system creates a whole lot of confidently incorrect morons.
You should be careful about talking about education systems. Canada has voted a guy who enjoys wearing blackface as prime minister more than once.

At least plead your case if you're gonna take the time to comment. I don't think that's asking too much.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The phrase "cancel culture" experienced notable growth in 2016 and 2017, particularly on Black Twitter, according to research by Insider and reporting by Merriam-Webster and Vox. Insider identified fewer than 100 tweets or threads with the phrase "cancel culture" before 2018.
You're talking about a phrase, JFK was cancelled. Trump tried to cancel Hilary. Y'all get so triggered, you cancel people all the time.

Shut down how? The right doesn't control any social media company to be able to shut people down. Maybe you can provide examples of the right shutting down anyone who disagrees.
Like you just tried to. None of the republicans that behave like you are interested in democracy or discussion, it's your way or the highway.

Maybe you can't write. Did you think about that?
As I know I had already written a very clear post on the subject and you were either incapable of reading it, or just being a dick because you can't help it. Then no, I didn't think about it.

Let me know if you need help with any of the words.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-u-s...a-lies-and-manipulation.623923/#post-10036079

A courtroom is not a public forum for open discussion. A judge has complete control over who speaks and when.

If the removal request is initiated by the government, it most certainly is a violation.
In the case of the hunter biden laptop, the requests appear to have come from Joe Biden's people & they weren't in government at the time.

However, a request from government is different to an order from the government. It's only a 1st amendment issue if the government makes it illegal to post, not if they ask twitter to exercise their 1st amendment rights by removing the tweet.

Twitter is not a public forum, it's a private enterprise & you are the product. If your employer tells you to stop chatting at work, then they aren't violating your 1st amendment rights either.

You want it to be a 1st amendment issue, so you can bitch about it. Sorry, not sorry.

Last edited by smf,

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted the conspiracy theorists to do the decent thing and shut the fuck up, I don't have a problem with people who would otherwise choose not to be vaccinated.

I don't think you're qualified to determine whether they are harmful or not either.

But hey, not long to go now right?

https://www.poynter.org/?ifcn_misin...eived-any-form-of-the-vaccine-in-the-shocking
yeah, it is annoying when people try to speak reason and truth to your entrenched wilful ignorance.

i know... "qualifications" are the only thing that matters not logic.

i'd never heard about dude's claims but ADe is a real, well known issue with antibody creation and with a quick pubmed search i can see BOTH covid19 vaxx and infection both do do this..

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36114224/
"None of the sera examined exhibited neutralizing activity against infection with the Omicron strain. Rather, some ADE of Omicron infection was observed in some sera."

i doubt it will kill everyone in 2 years if it just enhances viral replication.. I was saying it was harmful for one of the many many other reasons, not least of which is the viral spike protein, that is made with our cellular machinery, is cardiotoxic and has been shown with histopathology to be the direct cause of at 5 deaths and who the fuck doesn't know it causes myocarditis and pericarditis..only you. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00392-022-02129-5#Sec3

the people in this thread xzi, smf would get violent before admiting they were wrong, so therfore old school anti censorship lefties like me that just want the best for them (and everyone) have a hard time with their authoritarianism and disdain
of freedom. good luck and good on you to try and build a bridge trader.

TraderPatTX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're talking about a phrase, JFK was cancelled. Trump tried to cancel Hilary. Y'all get so triggered, you cancel people all the time.
JFK was assassinated, not cancelled. Trump beat Hillary in an election. I don't think you understand the phrase 'cancel culture' at all.
Like you just tried to. None of the republicans that behave like you are interested in democracy or discussion, it's your way or the highway.
You're right. We are interested in the republic, which the left wants to destroy. That's why you can't even say the word republic.
As I know I had already written a very clear post on the subject and you were either incapable of reading it, or just being a dick because you can't help it. Then no, I didn't think about it.

Let me know if you need help with any of the words.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-u-s...a-lies-and-manipulation.623923/#post-10036079

In the case of the hunter biden laptop, the requests appear to have come from Joe Biden's people & they weren't in government at the time.
I wonder if these in kind donations were reported to the FEC then. Probably not, which is illegal.
However, a request from government is different to an order from the government. It's only a 1st amendment issue if the government makes it illegal to post, not if they ask twitter to exercise their 1st amendment rights by removing the tweet.
Why is the FBI enforcing Twitter's ToS? When the order comes from the government, the corporation is acting as an agent of the government. But I can see you are a huge fan of fascism.
Twitter is not a public forum, it's a private enterprise & you are the product. If your employer tells you to stop chatting at work, then they aren't violating your 1st amendment rights either.
If it's not a public forum, it shouldn't matter what people say on there then, but the left has to control speech because your speech cannot withstand scrutiny or debate. Here's a helpful hint; the people who censor are never the good guys at any point in history.
You want it to be a 1st amendment issue, so you can bitch about it. Sorry, not sorry.
It's a 1st amendment issue because the emails between the FBI and Twitter show they were getting people banned for talking about Hunter's laptop a week before the election. That's called election meddling, but it's ok when your side does it, amirite comrade? The ends justify the means.

No wonder the left is crying so hard about Elon taking their favorite toy away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock