DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
What does everyone here think about the $1 - $1.50 fee to get a copy of a currently owned Wii VC game to get the Wii U treatment (including off-TV play, Miiverse, etc)? Many other places I've visited either have the majority having no problem with it, or are completely under the opinion that it should have been a free feature from the start.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yeah im ok with it , to be fair , if you preowned the wii version you can import it to your vwii , so its only fair to have the minor added functionality for a marginal cost . Take it or leave it .

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't even know you could do that. When was that announced?
I think it should be free though, as you already bought the games once, but for that price it's still worth paying for.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not happy about it. I mean, $1 may not initially seem like much, but what about those who've bought a lot of VC titles on the Wii? I myself would have to pay a good $20 to have them back on my WiiU itself, and not the virtual Wii. A friend of mine has to pay $40. It's not a smart business practice, and absolutely nothing good can come of it. The small amount of money Nintendo will make is nothing compared to the backlash this will probably create. As if the WiiU doesn't have enough of that as it is.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm... aha....nope. No sir. I don't like it!

i think it's crappy. i know it is pocket change, but considering most vc games shouldn't even cost that much in the first place, it is very steep.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
It's messed up. You usually just joke about Nintendo making you pay again for the same game you own. This time it's software you own that can run on the box but hey it's feature-locked.

It could be free but people actually WILL pay another buck not to have to start the virtual Wii first so it won't be free.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...the thing is that only people who actually bought VC in the first place have the right to an opinion.

Me, I always felt that 'VC' just meant 'easy money' ('Vree Cash' or something), as it's basically an emulator and the ROM of an earlier released game. This isn't very different.

Also...if the full wii VC library becomes available for wiiu (or vwii), I think nintendo should put up discounts or even a ceiling price (max 20$ for converting all your games). It may be pocket money, but it's something collectors (their best customers) will be the least happy about.

However, as said: my opinion doesn't count as I'm not the target audience to begin with. It's only those who actually paid up earlier for VC whose opinions are going to matter in this discussion.

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
From what I thought I heard, they were raising the price of the games a bit for the Wii U VC, so a small price to get the game again seemed fair to me. But I'm not sure if that's true or not. Either way, a lot of my Wii VC games were club nintendo things, so a buck to have them on the Wii U is no problem.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i've got about 150 or 200 vc games (every nes, snes and n64 game) through the online ambassador program they had.
though i dont own a wii u, i'd be really pissed if i had to pay a dollar for each to get on the wii u gamepad.

i mean really. considering theres probably millions of people who bought some of these games, thats millions of dollars. if the feature cost one dollar (or maybe 5 to make it a typical nintendo price) in total for every vc game. so you pay a fixed price for every wiiu, it would be more than enough to warrant any possible costs this would have cost in developement.

and actually, considering the ridiculous prices of vc and wiiware, this should be more than free. it should actually come with a free 3000 nintendopoints or something

Reactions: VMM and Sascha

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my thought. If you don't pay the small fee, you get to keep the game you already have playable on your Wii U. Its up to you to decide if the small fee is worth it for the new Wii U VC interface, including the option for portable gaming, customization of what buttons do what, and more controller support (Gamepad and Wii U pro controller both also supported).

Having said that. I think its a little unfair that the games cost the same now as they did on the Wii when they were released on the VC there. Its almost like you've been a little bit punished if you already bought them the first time around.

All of this is null and void for me though, cuz I was a dirty bastard and installed wads and used emulators, so I never bought any VC titles on my Wii. My understanding is that the Wii U mode remains unhacked (at least to the masses), so should I want any VC titles with that great new ability to play them portably, I'll have to shell out the full price. Which quite honestly is fine by me.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I like the possibility, to finally be able to play with the WiiU game pad instead of the classic controller or wii-mote... and to be able to watch the small screen and all... but it feels a little bit bad to have to pay one more dollar, or as it most probably will be in sweden, 1.5 dollars (10 SEK) feels bad. One of the reasons I would like to have ALL my VC content transfered is the limited space of the vWii. I don't want to have a couple of games being downloadable once I delete some other. I want them all on the console. But paying $30 for my games, which I already have... meh... No, I don't like it.
I think a $10 for unlimited game transfers would be better.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably would have made it like a flat 50 or 75 cents, but overall I'm not opposed to it. The Wii U features of balloon fight weren't bad. Looking forward to F zero next month.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't like the fees, just run tantrics emulators to play the games you want in vWii mode.

Right but those don't give you the option to play on your gamepad. Thats the issue here. obviously you can transfer your Wii VC titles and you can even install the Wii emulators in the vWii mode. But the ability to play your favorite oldschool games on the gamepad is a great feature that people want.

A dollars isn't a big deal. but think about it this way, say a VC game cost you 8 dollars when you bought it on the Wii, if you buy that same VC game on the Wii U VC it will still only cost 8 dollars and you get the new bonus feature of being able to bring it on the go. Yet people that bought the game earlier, now have to shell out an extra dollar effectively paying 9 dollars for the same game just for the new bonus features the Wii U has to offer. Its like I said, you've almost been a little punished for buying your game early when you got it on the Wii. I know a dollar isn't a big deal. And in a lot of ways I really don't find much of an issue with this.

Still, I can understand the argument that its not fair/right.

Having said all that, it doesn't effect me as I never bought a VC game on my Wii and likely will end up buy games for the first time on my Wii U's VC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu