^^title-2586^^

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
The reason why this is so terrible is due to the fact the genesis sonic source code was lost apparently, which is why they have never made ports of the sonic games, its always the roms embedded in an emulator. Since the GBA is not powerful enough to do this, they farmed it out to some company to attempt to remake it, and its just came out terribly. Even if they had the source code, judging by leftovers the game was almost 100% assembly so they probably wouldn't have bothered to do a port anyway due to the complexity.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The reason why this is so terrible is due to the fact the genesis sonic source code was lost apparently, which is why they have never made ports of the sonic games, its always the roms embedded in an emulator. Since the GBA is not powerful enough to do this, they farmed it out to some company to attempt to remake it, and its just came out terribly. Even if they had the source code, judging by leftovers the game was almost 100% assembly so they probably wouldn't have bothered to do a port anyway due to the complexity.

wtf.gif
How can that happen?

If they need to make the source code again, they should have make a new game.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've found this to be the best Sonic so far, because I found that laughing at such a bad of a conversion of such a lame game, more enjoyable than actually playing the piece of crap...

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I havent tried this version of the game yet, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like they just ported the mobile cellphone version O-o
Wich has terrible framrate, crappy midi sounds, plus other junk.

Though maybe its a more complete version of that since it has the special stages.... it still has the special stages right?

I was considering buying this game, heck, its a port of Sonic 1 on the go right?
But after hearing about all this bad crap about it, Im very disapointed.
Sega must have really gone mad.
Or rather the poeple at Sega are newbies who dont give a damn about making a good game, let alone a good port.

Good bye good ol sega days, we knew ye well.

Ive alays loved Sonic though, there has never been any other games that had so much speed. I love fast paced fast moving games, and somehow racing just isnt as good as going really fast on foot.
So Sonic games have always apealed to me.
Though the new sonic games have jsut been more and more slow.
Maybe its the lack of a BlastProcessor? xD

UPdate:
Well, I just tried the game. Runs badly on an emulator for me, but on my EZFA cart it doesnt run too bad.
But damn, so many little cheap things here and there.
The logo has a cheap looking remake of sonic moving up and stuff for his little stance intro thing. It just looks so crappy compared to the Genesis version.

Now I cant say the game is choppy, but rather jerky. Since it seems like the GBA has to try and catch up to the quick moving of the stage.

It reallly doesnt look like they emulated it, but rather had alot of trouble porting it to the GBA. Like the GBA just wasnt strong enough to handle it.
Again, it seems Sega is lost without its BlastProcessing unit.

The sound is really bad, I was expecting something like the SonicAdvance game's crappy music, but instead they went with a sorta Midi board thing?
Least they coulda done is add samples of the actual Genesis sound and just play it accordingly. Wouldnt have been too hard.
Plus the lack of origonal sounds for the noises is rather terrible.

Plus theres new glitchs abound and that just ruins everything.

Also the "extra" features they advertised are rather well, what can I say? Its been done before and they basicly turned the stage select cheat into a feature >.<

Least they coulda done is remake the graphics and add some new age features in anniverary mode. Like the guided jump and attack, or electric shields maybe. Some of the other charectors woulda been nice too, heck, its already been done in the retro hacking scene. (wich btw is very fun to play sonic one with knuckles and tails with working abilities)

This is a major disapointment and if I wasnt already disapointed by the new SLOWER sonic games then Id probly be devestated.
But somehow this was expected.
Though I was honestly expecting a good quality port.
I mean the GBA life is already close to its end, we should be seeing some kick ass CPU tearing stuff beyond all limits already.
But this, man, its just so horrible.

Lets face it though, Sonic Team has been on drugs aparently. For perhaps more than five years they have been doing the rehabilitation thing.
And this is their celebration of finally being drug free!

Though I can say Ive liked some 3D sonic games and some new ones, but they always have lacked the shine and well, seed they should of had.
Thoug I can say they were enjoyable but, just not fast enough.
Plus Sonic Rush had to have Dimps make the level design, man, Dimps does terrible level design, always using basic blocks and reusing parts too much. Plus they dont even try to make unique areas. All the parts of each stage looked nearly the same.
Though the music made up for the annoying quirks.

Still, this is no Anniversary release. Its no where near adiquite to what te Sonic franchise deserves.
Sega used to be so picky about things (that and fight with themselves xD)

Well, from one Sonic fan to another, heres to hoping the next generation of Sonic games prevails where the last gen well, nearly killed itself.
Plus in hopes that the next Sonic Rush game has SEGA do their own freckin level design.
Also in hopes the NDS Genesis emulator gets another release before someone dies of dispare over the horribleness of this game.
Though atleast it feels kinda like the origonal.....

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PicodriveDS at least plays this at full speed with slight frame skipping. :|

15-20 fps is nowhere near full speed in my world. You're talking about a game where speed is a focal point of the gameplay and which normally runs at 60 fps. Plus, turning on sound will cause the frame rate to drop to about 6 fps.

Decent Genesis emulation on the DS isn't going to happen.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just played this and thought, "it's ok". Then I cranked up the genesis and it's not ok. Sonic jumps too high, sonics gravity seems too be off and too forgiving, spikes are too big, and the twinkles aren't twinkly enough, that and the music is not only worse but it is different.

If you want to play something cool put Sonic 2 Genesis on top of the Sonic and Knuckles cartridge and play Sonic 2 with Knuckles as the main character...but not this.

Sonic Team needs to bring out it's A Team next time it tries to reprogram a program. They tried to make this port emulate the original and shouldn't have bothered. They would have been better off 'enhancing' the game so the warts didn't stick out so plainly.

Other than that it's ok.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1