• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump-Appointed Judge Blocks Biden's Student Debt Relief Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/11/bid...pplications-for-student-loan-forgiveness.html
Ah yes, of course, the same party that introduced the paid collage system, now wants to ensure that anyone struggling with that debt doesn't get help.
What a pro family move.

Which with my totally real crystal balls, we predicted this would happen in September.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/07/republicans-may-try-to-block-student-loan-forgiveness.html

now the thing is it doesn't outright kill student debt relief, as there's a legal pathway Biden can carve out.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/08/biden-student-debt-relief-legal-supreme-court.html
Mostly involving cutting down the scope of assistance. Aka, helping even less families because that's a pro family move.
But yeah, Republicans being predictable in not helping, what a surprise.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm... I've got two points of (mild) criticism here...
1) you bring the argument that the judge's ruling was politically based. The article doesn't say that. Only that the judge was appointed by Trump. In theory, judges should act independently, regardless of politics. Claiming its a republican move is your personal opinion. An opinion i share, but it's not in the articles (unless i misread that).

2) it's blocked, yes... But not exactly going nowhere. It's kind of hilarious how that rules expert puts it...

The main obstacle for those hoping to bring a legal challenge against Biden JH plan has been finding a plaintiff who can prove they’ve been harmed by the policy.

Yeah... Good luck finding someone who's hurt by receiving money, Pittman :P
So yeah... It strengthens the belief that the judge is just sucking up to Republicans rather than doing their job. And... Okay, it's a 28 kraagje reasoning, but if the newspapers picked "were not ruled by someone with a pen and a phone" as the strongest argument, it's mostly a waste of paper.

Or to put it legally: "it has no standing"

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Forgiving debt is unfair towards those whose debt is not forgiven.
It’s really not. Progress has to be made regardless of actions in the past. This logic is like saying that living people are unfair to those who died. It’s progress stopper that’s actually unfair to future generations that shouldn’t suffer because those in the past were made to suffer.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
It’s really not. Progress has to be made regardless of actions in the past. This logic is like saying that living people are unfair to those who died. It’s progress stopper that’s actually unfair to future generations that shouldn’t suffer because those in the past were made to suffer.
There are plently of people who are not dead yet. Some of them are younger. Will they get their paid debt back? Can they study again for free? If they can´t, where is the progress? (if a baby mentality of wanting everything for free is progress; it might be the opposite)

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) you bring the argument that the judge's ruling was politically based. The article doesn't say that. Only that the judge was appointed by Trump. In theory, judges should act independently, regardless of politics. Claiming its a republican move is your personal opinion. An opinion i share, but it's not in the articles (unless i misread that).

2) it's blocked, yes... But not exactly going nowhere. It's kind of hilarious how that rules expert puts it...

The main obstacle for those hoping to bring a legal challenge against Biden JH plan has been finding a plaintiff who can prove they’ve been harmed by the policy.

So yeah... It strengthens the belief that the judge is just sucking up to Republicans rather than doing their job. And... Okay, it's a 28 kraagje reasoning, but if the newspapers picked "were not ruled by someone with a pen and a phone" as the strongest argument, it's mostly a waste of paper.

he has an excuse man , just leave him alone.
Post automatically merged:

also they blocked it while they look into jail time

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are plently of people who are not dead yet. Some of them are younger. Will they get their paid debt back? Can they study again for free? If they can´t, where is the progress? (if a baby mentality of wanting everything for free is progress; it might be the opposite)
Should people get paid back for buying stuff before it goes on sale? Should people be paid back for any previous investment that later became free or a reduced price? No, they shouldn’t and it’s because progress does not always mean fair compensation. I am sorry to say this but I don’t think people who paid for college should get their money back. Shit has to move forward, even if that means needing leave stuff in the past. That doesn’t mean people shouldn’t push to prevent future generations from going through what the same shit. Equally, we have the money to afford paying for colleges. We have rich people not paying a dime in taxes, we have a military budget that’s ludicrously high, and we have wealthy millionaires and billionaires making bank off the tax payers money. This isn’t “free” it’s using the money we already have to ensure future generations don’t go into a lifetime student loan debt.

EldritchPenumbra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this a Generation Z thing where in Gen Z wants a free ride where those before them did not? And who floats that bill? Why is college still important anyhow? Unless you want to be a doctor or something, I fail to see the point of attending one in the first place. Surely there are better alternatives to acquire skills.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
Is this a Generation Z thing where in Gen Z wants a free ride where those before them did not?
studying your words

Why is college still important anyhow?
... bruh
Unless you want to be a doctor or something, I fail to see the point of attending one in the first place.
double bruh
Alright my response. First off, collage should be free or tax paid, like all other education. It's not gen z taking a free car ride.

It's more so genz and millennials going "wait, this used to be ours, for everyone, and then some rich asshat made it unreasonably difficult. Fuck that"

Did you know that collage used to be not privatized?

And Nixon/Regan came along, and said "Nah, the poor people don't need it, they need to 'work' for it" and then made it privatized. (not really, they more accurately were afraid of a educated populous. so he made it private, in hopes that less of those "hippies" who were against the war would stop doing hippie things. But I'm using this version to demonstrate a point)

Which meant it had to be profitable, and always making more money.
While simultaneously making it effectively impossible for the poor to access it reasonably for generations without entering so much debt that they realistically can't pay off because they can only pay the interest. B

Because the cost of collage had to go up, in order to keep profits rising. Increasing over 100 times what it should be if we took the cost of it back in say, 1970-80ish, and accounted for inflation.

And that's also exuding the people who dropped out of collage, who have no way of paying those debts off.

Second perhaps idk... Collage is good for like idk. the sake of knowledge, to be you know. To be smart? Like, perhaps in a democratic society we should have people be as informed as possible about their lives in meaningful ways? Hell, how about just subjects that person is truly interested in learning about, and don't intend to make a career out of it.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to know when the government is going to pay my house and car loan. I know i took out the loan and i signed papers stating i will pay that money back with interest and EVERY FUCKING DETAIL was layed out on paper and presented to me before i signed it but apparently its the norm to want the government to step in and pay my shit...fuck off if you took the loan you should have to pay it. Dont pass it to the hard working tax paying society. On another note they need to step in and make education more affordable but not at the cost of others. It was a simple ploy to get this stupid generation out to vote for democrats. Basically buying votes without ever paying anything (unlike when biden told everyone they would get $1400 when georga runoff election is won by a democrat in 2020.) Sould of instantly been charges brought up then.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
i will pay that money back with interest and EVERY FUCKING DETAIL was layed out on paper and presented to me before i signed it but apparently its the norm to want the government to step in and pay my shit...fuck off if you took the loan you should have to pay it.
now imagine that you couldn't pay that loan, you so you file for bankruptcy, and the court goes "you're not having enough undo hardship" (the requirement needed to get a federal student loan cleared, which historically, judges almost never rule with you on it) So that loan isn't forgiven. So your stuck paying a unpayable loan, living like jack shit, can't get rid of it, your wage is constantly garnished, and it only pays interest.

ISN'T THAT COOL!
Unlike every other loan, in which you can file for bankruptcy. Student Loans, don't go away so easily. As my teacher who worked in the education department told me (paraphrased)
"They don't leave until you die, so make sure if you go to collage, you complete it"
Yeah this isn't like a car payment.
Also additionally, unlike a car payment. Getting better paying jobs, is often locked behind having a degree.

In which, again, the privatized collage system, wants you to pay as fucking much as possible. So they'll happily offer bogus degrees, so you have to comeback, eat even more student loan debt (which those collages get the money from), and oh hey, your supposed to have a house. What's that? your two jobs isn't enough? Well just work harder 4head. You'll pay it off when your 60, and that's assuming the job market hasn't crashed. And you'll maaaybe retire when your 90, presuming the market doesn't go crash again.
isn't that a fulfilling life? Slaving at debt away for your entire life starting around 20?
Oh and I haven't even gotten to the fact that for the vast majority of people (pretty much everyone outside of the top 10%)
Life expectancy has dropped, while the richest of people, their life expectancy increased.

I don't mind paying a little bit in taxes, if it means this bullshit system get's fucking removed, it's costly for the sake of being costly for profit sake.

EldritchPenumbra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
studying your words

... bruh

double bruh
Alright my response. First off, collage should be free or tax paid, like all other education. It's not gen z taking a free car ride.

It's more so genz and millennials going "wait, this used to be ours, for everyone, and then some rich asshat made it unreasonably difficult. Fuck that"

Did you know that collage used to be not privatized?

And Nixon/Regan came along, and said "Nah, the poor people don't need it, they need to 'work' for it" and then made it privatized. (not really, they more accurately were afraid of a educated populous. so he made it private, in hopes that less of those "hippies" who were against the war would stop doing hippie things. But I'm using this version to demonstrate a point)

Which meant it had to be profitable, and always making more money.
While simultaneously making it effectively impossible for the poor to access it reasonably for generations without entering so much debt that they realistically can't pay off because they can only pay the interest. B

Because the cost of collage had to go up, in order to keep profits rising. Increasing over 100 times what it should be if we took the cost of it back in say, 1970-80ish, and accounted for inflation.

And that's also exuding the people who dropped out of collage, who have no way of paying those debts off.

Second perhaps idk... Collage is good for like idk. the sake of knowledge, to be you know. To be smart? Like, perhaps in a democratic society we should have people be as informed as possible about their lives in meaningful ways? Hell, how about just subjects that person is truly interested in learning about, and don't intend to make a career out of it.
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Is this information present within the archives of the Library of Congress, or did Nixon have it all erased so the Hippies could not prove their case?

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now imagine that you couldn't pay that loan, you so you file for bankruptcy, and the court goes "you're not having enough undo hardship" (the requirement needed to get a federal student loan cleared, which historically, judges almost never rule with you on it) So that loan isn't forgiven. So your stuck paying a unpayable loan, living like jack shit, can't get rid of it, your wage is constantly garnished, and it only pays interest.

ISN'T THAT COOL!
Unlike every other loan, in which you can file for bankruptcy. Student Loans, don't go away so easily. As my teacher who worked in the education department told me (paraphrased)
"They don't leave until you die, so make sure if you go to collage, you complete it"
Yeah this isn't like a car payment.
Also additionally, unlike a car payment. Getting better paying jobs, is often locked behind having a degree.

In which, again, the privatized collage system, wants you to pay as fucking much as possible. So they'll happily offer bogus degrees, so you have to comeback, eat even more student loan debt (which those collages get the money from), and oh hey, your supposed to have a house. What's that? your two jobs isn't enough? Well just work harder 4head. You'll pay it off when your 60, and that's assuming the job market hasn't crashed. And you'll maaaybe retire when your 90, presuming the market doesn't go crash again.
isn't that a fulfilling life? Slaving at debt away for your entire life starting around 20?
Oh and I haven't even gotten to the fact that for the vast majority of people (pretty much everyone outside of the top 10%)
Life expectancy has dropped, while the richest of people, their life expectancy increased.

I don't mind paying a little bit in taxes, if it means this bullshit system get's fucking removed, it's costly for the sake of being costly for profit sake.
Then maybe you should of taken something beside gender identity in college...or maybe put the beer bong down and studied. Its noone elses fault you took a loan out and picked something in college you cant make money in to pay your debt back but your own.

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
Then maybe you should of taken something beside gender identity in college...or maybe put the beer bong down and studied.
Your two attempts at "owning me" is in really poor taste. Secondly I'm not in college. My friends are, who are constantly stressed out, anxious about their debts, and working a part time job (which college, is pretty much a full time job. so doing effectively two jobs, while needing to study. fun.)
As for my college education, it's likely going to be in Denmark when I manage to scrape the funds to move over there.
Had I not had unique circumstances that let me move out "early," I would be in college right now due to my mom insisting I go, ignoring the costs.
Edit:
Additionally, there's a lot of good sounding degrees that are worth nothing when it comes to the job market. Often it will state the role your looking for specifically, but then you'd fine out, that degree was bullshit, and the real one was in some acronym that has a mix of other fields, and that's the one expected.

CommanderCool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this a Generation Z thing where in Gen Z wants a free ride where those before them did not? And who floats that bill? Why is college still important anyhow? Unless you want to be a doctor or something, I fail to see the point of attending one in the first place. Surely there are better alternatives to acquire skills.

Americans lol "yeah how dare we improve society everyone should struggle like we did"

EldritchPenumbra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Americans lol "yeah how dare we improve society everyone should struggle like we did"
Well I mean it sounds like you guys are crying about having to pay for services that the government isn't even responsible for in the first place. The fact is that many (not all) of those services are a complete waste of money and time and one would be better off self training or getting under some sort of apprenticeship. Expanding the role of government has NEVER been the answer. In fact you can just look at the advent of compulsory education with all its testing, corporate funded and directed curriculum and see where that has gotten us. For what ever reason, prior to the 20th century when school houses shared a book, did their work on mini chalk boards, and teachers had a direct relationship with the teachers; schools produced people with a broader awareness, a broader set of skills, and who brought to basis for many inventions that we take for granted today, where as this generation, what has it produced? Demands for so call Communism and the NFT?

Reactions: wartutor

CommanderCool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean it sounds like you guys are crying about having to pay for services that the government isn't even responsible for in the first place. The fact is that many (not all) of those services are a complete waste of money and time and one would be better off self training or getting under some sort of apprenticeship. Expanding the role of government has NEVER been the answer. In fact you can just look at the advent of compulsory education with all its testing, corporate funded and directed curriculum and see where that has gotten us. For what ever reason, prior to the 20th century when school houses shared a book, did their work on mini chalk boards, and teachers had a direct relationship with the teachers; schools produced people with a broader awareness, a broader set of skills, and who brought to basis for many inventions that we take for granted today, where as this generation, what has it produced? Demands for so call Communism and the NFT?

i stopped reading after "you guys" cause you implied i have a side in this

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i feel it's better to freelance work especally now since most companies won't hire anyone even entry level without a degree Advanced jobs like scinece work i can see that but some of us don't have the patients for 4+ years but some of these burger flipping jobs state you need an associates degree uh had no idea fast food was so complex, on another note a person with a deploma may not be the best pick over someone who study for hours using nothing but youtube and personal experiance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thank goodness for VPN nowadays
    I don't trust them lol
    Hmmm probably because reasons...
    Ohhh don't touch them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Good idea, or at least power the GPU