• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump cancels meeting with Kim jong un for the time being(?)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I heard the summit was back on again. For now.

It's difficult to gauge the reasonable options in this circumstance. I want a peaceful solution to all of this, but i've paid attention to the N Korea tension for long enough to realize that this summit is likely a farce. The initial promise that prompted opening channels for diplomacy this time was that North Korea promised they would denuclearize. The problem is that they almost immediately backtracked on this promise, citing a "different definition of what denuclearization means". So now we're back where we started.

We've been failing miserably at diplomatic relations with N Korea since at least the Clinton administration, the cycle is to offer them substantial resources and money if they agree to cease nuke production and decommission what they've already developed. This has repeated through the Bush Jr and Obama admins as well.

I think this case is just another step in that cycle. Every few years North Korea starts up threats and missile tests to get the world's attention and stir up panic. At peak panic, they throw out the suggestion of some sort of diplomacy being possible. They ask us for more resources and money, we agree out of hopes this time will be different, they collect their spoils and then proceed to break their end of the bargain and repeat the same nonsense over and over again. I believe that scheme is exactly what North Korea is trying to pull again with the current summit.

For the record, I don't like Trump. I'm a liberal and oppose war. But I doubt any decision he is making on North Korea is made with the best interests of America or peaceful diplomacy. He has continually and unnecessarily inflamed tensions with Kim Jong Un on Twitter. Un himself is an immature an immoral man-baby dictator who tortures and murders his own people. But that doesn't mean the president of the US should be baiting and feeding a psychopath with a nuclear arsenal. I definitely don't want a war with North Korea, that would be a nightmare.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Un himself is an immature an immoral man-baby dictator who tortures and murders his own people.

Idk, Jong-Un is a lot more grown up then Trump.
Trump is a little 5 year old that doesn't get any sweets.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk, Jong-Un is a lot more grown up then Trump.
Trump is a little 5 year old that doesn't get any sweets.
I have nothing positive to say about Trump. But he and Un have both behaved very similarly on Twitter and other forms of media. A couple of narcissistic children. So in that regard, they are extremely alike.

That said, Kim Jong Un puts his own people in concentration camps and executes them if they even criticize him. So I can see no logical way anyone could argue Un being the more mature and grown up of the two...

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have nothing positive to say about Trump. But he and Un have both behaved very similarly on Twitter and other forms of media. A couple of narcissistic children. So in that regard, they are extremely alike.

That said, Kim Jong Un puts his own people in concentration camps and executes them if they even criticize him. So I can see no logical way anyone could argue Un being the more mature and grown up of the two...

You must be foolish to think both of them still write their tweets themselves. They surely have a team behind all of them.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must be foolish to think both of them still write their tweets themselves. They surely have a team behind all of them.
I don't know about Kim. But at least for his more inflammatory and ridiculous tweets, Trump still likely writes them himself. Or directly orders and dictates someone to do it.

Last edited by granville,

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dotard and lil' Kim are two (despot) peas in a pod: Insane, sociopathic, sadistic, selfish, and utterly incompetent.

I fully support duct taping them together, nose to nose, and punting the entire grimy mess into the ocean.

His crime family/empire is currently in the process of being toppled, so the LAST thing his dementia-addled brain needs to be focused on is NK....Mueller & Avenatti should have this wrapped up neatly by Summer's end.....

94f67bdaaecdc1ad15d4e70d7a3a7442.jpg

Reactions: Xzi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly I want Trump far away from another unstable leader. Kim looks like he's trying to smarten up and I really hope he does, which is why I want Trump away from him. Trump is an unstable manchild that does stupid shit out of spite and I won't be shocked if he did something stupid just to upset Kim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay