• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump leading in 5 key swing states

Status
Not open for further replies.

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HFS my sides. What planet are you living on? Take a look at the news then go buy some shit at the grocery store.

View attachment 403092
things haven't appreciably changed for me

I am a single dude so the price of food hasn't affected my wallet much - fuel isn't too bad currently. My rent hasn't changed in 4 years. Tbh the only change is my salary went up so I have a little bit of extra income

I'm personally happier with Biden than I was with Trump

Reactions: titan_tim

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
things haven't appreciably changed for me

I am a single dude so the price of food hasn't affected my wallet much - fuel isn't too bad currently. My rent hasn't changed in 4 years. Tbh the only change is my salary went up so I have a little bit of extra income

I'm personally happier with Biden than I was with Trump

That's good. I'm happy for you. But most people aren't going to vote based on how you're doing.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Makes no sense to me either. I mean, everything's been going so great the last three years.
And when did Trump ever demonstrate that he was capable of doing anything with a bad situation other than making it worse?

So this bit here?

"shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same"

Yeah if they actually tried to stop him from running that would go to the SCOTUS, and seeing how the conservative majority has treated the law lately - I think it's VERY safe to say they won't bar Mr. Trump from running

Unless you think Clarence Thomas is going to have a change of heart
It's not even a sure thing SCOTUS has authority over this matter. The constitution gives states power over elections, therefore it's individual states that would have the power to keep him off the ballot. It's also a matter of self-preservation since Trump appointed three of the justices. Demands for recusal would be hard to ignore, and the appearance of corruption might be enough to lead to impeachment hearings. They're just as likely to punt and let the lower court's decision stand.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And when did Trump ever demonstrate that he was capable of doing anything with a bad situation other than making it worse?

It's not even a sure thing SCOTUS has authority over this matter. The constitution gives states power over elections, therefore it's individual states that would have the power to keep him off the ballot. It's also a matter of self-preservation since Trump appointed three of the justices. Demands for recusal would be hard to ignore, and the appearance of corruption might be enough to lead to impeachment hearings. They're just as likely to punt and let the lower court's decision stand.
if a state tried to keep trump off the ballot, trump would sue the state, it would either immediately go to a federal circuit court or make its way through state courts until it got to the supreme court

if you think disqualifying trump from running would go anywhere but the highest court in the land, you misunderstand american law

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Everything before COVID happened. I know you won't want to admit that, but the economy, global peace, energy security ... all were in a better place than before or since.

Reactions: Pachee

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything before COVID happened. I know you won't want to admit that, but the economy, global peace, energy security ... all were in a better place than before or since.
but you gotta admit covid didn't go well - like at all

he fucked that situation up - I remember hospital PPE and ventilators being in shambles

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HFS my sides. What planet are you living on? Take a look at the news then go buy some shit at the grocery store.

View attachment 403092
Oh still peddling that long debunked inflation talking point huh.

It's pretty telling on you though. If you weren't some dependent shut in you'd have seen eggs and other food items come back down in price.
Post automatically merged:

Hahahah you have no place saying anything is living on a different planet with this dumb ass take.

This is what TDS actually is. You really are in a cult 😦🤣

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

he fucked that situation up - I remember hospital PPE and ventilators being in shambles

No argument here, but that was a very singular situation. We'll never know how anyone else might've handled it, better or worse. And more people died of COVID in Biden's first year than when Trump was President, and we even had the vaccine then.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Under Trump, 24% of the world's covid deaths occurred in a country with only 4% of the world's population.

Unfortunately, the MAGAs either refuse this fact, or attempt to claim all the other countries lied about their death totals significantly. Except we know thanks to satellite imagery that it would not be possible to do this in a significant way.
Post automatically merged:

And more people died of COVID in Biden's first year than when Trump was President
Another example that demonstes how you don't understand the passage of time or cause and effect.

Yes, in the first month of the Biden presidency, we saw 3-4k covid deaths a day. But these people came down with covid under the trump administration, which was an administration that didn't take appropriate action.

In contrast, the US only has 4% of the world's H1N1 deaths under the Obama administration which was proportional.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No argument here, but that was a very singular situation. We'll never know how anyone else might've handled it, better or worse. And more people died of COVID in Biden's first year than when Trump was President, and we even had the vaccine then.
That's the issue with comparing presidents 99% of the time, everything that happened while they were pres is attributed to them whether fairly or not

Clinton is remembered well for economic prosperity, but none of it was even his doing honestly

Fact is presidents often don't affect economy much - larger factors are at play

Any president was gonna have huge inflation issues after covid when the economy became strong again

Reactions: Hanafuda

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inflation was also global, and the US's inflation rate (and gas prices for that matter) were lower across the board compared to most countries. But tht MAGAs conveniently ignore this too.

Reactions: KingVamp

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
if a state tried to keep trump off the ballot, trump would sue the state, it would either immediately go to a federal circuit court or make its way through state courts until it got to the supreme court
States have already filed to keep him off the ballot, and all attempts by Trump at getting the cases thrown out have failed. They will be heard in state-level courts first.

if you think disqualifying trump from running would go anywhere but the highest court in the land, you misunderstand american law
No I understand the law perfectly fine as it's written, it's the other side that will be arguing for re-writing the constitution from the bench or for using a "creative interpretation" to skirt the law. Thing is, in an already deeply-divided America, SCOTUS would be playing with fire by disregarding parts of the constitution we had to fight a Civil War to establish.

Everything before COVID happened. I know you won't want to admit that, but the economy, global peace, energy security ... all were in a better ace than before or since.
Well yeah...COVID had a notable effect on everything else you listed, as did Trump's total failure to manage the country through the worst of it. A pro-corporate, pro-dictator, pro-oil Trump can only possibly dig us deeper in those categories.

Reactions: KingVamp

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
States have already filed to keep him off the ballot, and all attempts by Trump at getting the cases thrown out have failed. They will be heard in state-level courts first.

No I understand the law perfectly fine as it's written, it's the other side that will be arguing for re-writing the constitution from the bench or for using a "creative interpretation" to skirt the law. Thing is, in an already deeply-divided America, SCOTUS would be playing with fire by disregarding parts of the constitution we had to fight a Civil War to establish.

Well yeah...COVID had a notable effect on everything else you listed, as did Trump's total failure to manage the country through the worst of it. A pro-corporate, pro-dictator, pro-oil Trump can only possibly dig us deeper in those categories.
Rewriting the law? Do you honest to God actually think somehow that a federal election is not a matter for a federal court??

The 2000 election Gore V Bush says hello

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Question is, what do you think could've been done differently? They got the vaccine approved in record time. Local/State governments contributed to the fuck ups as much as federal (like putting COVID patients in homes for the elderly in NY ... wtf?). Global supply on PPE encountered an explosion.

So, what would you do differently? Keep it Constitutional.

Also, be honest ... no matter how it went, Democrats were going to sell the "horrible reaction" story wrt: COVID. It was the opportunity of a lifetime.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rewriting the law? Do you honest to God actually think somehow that a federal election is not a matter for a federal court??
Federal elections are run by the states, and this isn't a matter of disqualifying him from the race entirely, only keeping him off the ballot in individual states by their own choice. In other words, even if SCOTUS ruled in favor of 14th Amendment disqualification, each state would still have to go through their own process of removing him, it wouldn't happen automatically. I don't believe SCOTUS has the authority to strip states of this power, and it's nigh impossible to pretend the amendment isn't applicable to Trump after so many Jan 6 convictions.

Question is, what do you think could've been done differently?
For starters, Trump never should've disbanded the federal pandemic response team which was established during the Obama administration. Whole lot of people died from that one act of pettiness alone. Next, Trump should have let health professionals take charge of the messaging and most TV appearances. Instead he always had to be front and center, trying to sell us ridiculous "alternative treatments" that he no doubt held stock in. Lastly, he politicized both masks and the vaccine, which ultimately ended up getting a lot more conservatives killed than liberals.

Also, be honest ... no matter how it went, Democrats were going to sell the "horrible reaction" story wrt: COVID. It was the opportunity of a lifetime.
A whole lot of Democrats warned before the election that Trump was not competent enough to handle any sort of national emergency. He proved them correct.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For starters, Trump never should've disbanded the federal pandemic response team which was established during the Obama administration.

Speculation. I don't agree but it's not an unreasonable opinion. But it is speculation.

A whole lot of Democrats warned before the election that Trump was not competent enough to handle any sort of national emergency. He proved them correct.

That's not responsive to what I said. I asked you to be honest, that Democrats would've claimed "shit show!" no matter what happened. That's politics. Republicans would have too in a reversed situation.

Also FWIW, this is going back to a post of yours earlier ... I agree these polls and this thread are premature. Regardless of the merits I too think it likely that Trump will end up tagged with a felony (or many) from one of these pending and very convenient indictments, and that will upset the apple cart altogether. I don't see Trump getting the nomination.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Federal elections are run by the states, and this isn't a matter of disqualifying him from the race entirely, only keeping him off the ballot in individual states by their own choice. In other words, even if SCOTUS ruled in favor of 14th Amendment disqualification, each state would still have to go through their own process of removing him, it wouldn't happen automatically. I don't believe SCOTUS has the authority to strip states of this power, and it's nigh impossible to pretend the amendment isn't applicable to Trump after so many Jan 6 convictions.

For starters, Trump never should've disbanded the federal pandemic response team which was established during the Obama administration. Whole lot of people died from that one act of pettiness alone. Next, Trump should have let health professionals take charge of the messaging and most TV appearances. Instead he always had to be front and center, trying to sell us ridiculous "alternative treatments" that he no doubt held stock in. Lastly, he politicized both masks and the vaccine, which ultimately ended up getting a lot more conservatives killed than liberals.

It would end up in the scotus if they tried to bar him from running for federal office, absolutely

It's not a state issue and definitely not protected under the Xth amendment

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Speculation. I don't agree but it's not an unreasonable opinion. But it is speculation.
It's not speculation, the team's entire purpose was pandemic preparedness and response to new outbreaks. Scientists and health professionals had been warning we were overdue for the next pandemic for at least a decade prior. Trump is simply incapable of accepting that he's never the smartest person in the room.

That's not responsive to what I said. I asked you to be honest, that Democrats would've claimed "shit show!" no matter what happened. That's politics. Republicans would have too in a reversed situation.
Sure, but it wouldn't have been an effective strategy if it wasn't true.

It would end up in the scotus if they tried to bar him from running for federal office, absolutely
He could still technically run for federal office even if half the states took him off the ballot. His chances of winning would be another matter.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not speculation, the team's entire purpose was pandemic preparedness and response to new outbreaks. Scientists and health professionals had been warning we were overdue for the next pandemic for at least a decade prior. Trump is simply incapable of accepting that he's never the smartest person in the room.

Sure, but it wouldn't have been an effective strategy if it wasn't true.

He could still technically run for federal office even if half the states took him off the ballot. His chances of winning would be another matter.
If they try to take him off the ballot using a constitutional amendment as the basis, then guess who will rule on the constitutional issue?

A federal court - you know, the ones whose job it is to interpret the constitution

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If they try to take him off the ballot using a constitutional amendment as the basis, then guess who will rule on the constitutional issue?

A federal court - you know, the ones whose job it is to interpret the constitution
Sure, when it needs interpreting. If a state court rules in favor of 14A and federal appellate courts refuse to hear the case, however, SCOTUS would have a hard time convincing the government and the public that their interference is necessary. Chasing after it would signal that their loyalty is to one man and not at all to the constitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy