• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump leading in 5 key swing states

Status
Not open for further replies.

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, when it needs interpreting. If a state court rules in favor of 14A and federal appellate courts refuse to hear the case, however, SCOTUS would have a hard time convincing the government and the public that their interference is necessary. Chasing after it would signal that their loyalty is to one man and not at all to the constitution.
Personally, if states started barring people from running for election who weren't first duly convicted of rebellion or insurrection, then I would be upset if the scotus did not hear the case

If federal appeals court refuses to hear the case, the Trump campaign would appeal to higher courts until scotus either agreed to hear it or dismissed it

Reactions: Taleweaver

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Personally, if states started barring people from running for election who weren't first duly convicted of rebellion or insurrection, then I would be upset if the scotus did not hear the case
In normal circumstances I'd agree, but as things stand now I have zero confidence that SCOTUS is capable of acting in a non-partisan or objective manner. There's not much gray area here either: Trump is the only candidate in my lifetime to ever attempt to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power, and as long as there are consequences for that he'll remain the only one. If there aren't consequences for it, it's the end of both democracy and constitutional order in the US.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In normal circumstances I'd agree, but as things stand now I have zero confidence that SCOTUS is capable of acting in a non-partisan or objective manner. There's not much gray area here either: Trump is the only candidate in my lifetime to ever attempt to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power, and as long as there are consequences for that he'll remain the only one. If there aren't consequences for it, it's the end of both democracy and constitutional order in the US.
I am truly of the opinion that the electorate should say who wins the presidency and not a state legislature

If the people vote Trump, I will be unhappy, but I think ultimately it's their say and not some state DA

If democracy will fall because the people are too dumb to not vote for dictators then it was doomed to fall either way

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am truly of the opinion that the electorate should say who wins the presidency and not a state legislature
The constitution has always excluded a whole lot of people from being eligible to run for president, Trump doesn't deserve any special treatment in that regard.
If democracy will fall because the people are too dumb to not vote for dictators then it was doomed to fall either way
It's easy to fall into authoritarianism. Maintaining democracy is hard. It's fragile and requires safeguards against bad actors.

Reactions: KingVamp

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm not a huge Biden fan myself. I just can't believe any reasonably-informed, thinking human would believe Trump would make things better. In my opinion, Biden is not even comparable to Trump. One believes in democracy and the other wants to be a dictator. One has policies that he believes would make the country better, the other wants to use the presidency to dodge his imminent prison sentence and to enrich himself and his business. One is a decent human being, the other is a narcissist, a xenophobe and a bigot. One has concrete policy goals with clear implementation details, the other has vague promises and no implementation. Aside from that, look at Trump's record and what he himself has stated at various times:
  • Trump ignored COVID which made it worse than it had to be, undoubtedly resulting in many unnecessary deaths.
  • Trump's plan for global peace is surrendering to dictators and tyrants. He doesn't support Ukraine. He doesn't support NATO.
  • Trump wants to disband the Department of Education.
  • Trump wants to bring back firing squads and group executions.
  • Trump wants to make poor people work for healthcare. He almost succeeded once before.
  • Trump wants to weaken nearly every one of our institutions, especially the IRS.
  • Trump wants to cut the safety net in various ways.
  • Trump wants to weaponize the presidency for revenge against Biden and the democrats.
  • ... I could go on.
We have inflation because companies are taking advantage of the economic situation created by COVID and the COVID aid. The greed started during COVID but it didn't end there. They have, I guess, a sort of plausible deniability, so price-gouging laws are essentially worthless. Where is the objective line between price-gouging and normal business operations? Meanwhile, the Republican-controlled House and the de-facto Republican-controlled SCOTUS has crippled Biden (and the Democrats') ability to do anything about it. Not that they necessarily would have anyway. Any sort of legislation or executive direction to address this issue would be interfering in the "free market". Very few in power would be willing to do that aside from a handful of progressives.

Reactions: supermist

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
We've already seen that fear gets people to the polls. When people are complicit and are expected to easily win, people stay home.

The more people vote, the better the democracy. Therefore, anything that gets people to register early is a good thing.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, compared to the shit show of the Trump presidency.

Unemployment rates are at an all time low and we're back to normalcy after an objective failure of a response to a global pandemic. One can only assume anyone still willing to vote for Trump is an objectively stupid individual. That's not up for debate.
Let me know when gas is back down to $1.87 a gallon, the border is not being overrun and there is no war in the Middle East. In other words, let me know when we are back to 2019 normalcy. It's no surprise that 75% of the country thinks we're on the wrong track. You must be the 25% of TDS retards who don't care how close we get to World War III or how many Jews are killed, as long as the mean orange man is not president.
Post automatically merged:

See, this is the type of cultist loser who would be responding to polling right now. Probably has a landline set up for it specifically. :rofl2:
""Probably"" is doing a lot of unnecessary heavy lifting here.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is literally any of that Biden's fault and what do you think Trump can or will do to stop it?

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is literally any of that Biden's fault and what do you think Trump can or will do to stop it?
People get mad at people in power - doesn't matter if someone else can or can't fix it

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you serious? The guy reversed all of Trump's policies and we're experiencing the exact opposite results. What do you think caused all of this? Bad luck?

Honestly, I'm not a huge Biden fan myself. I just can't believe any reasonably-informed, thinking human would believe Trump would make things better. In my opinion, Biden is not even comparable to Trump. One believes in democracy and the other wants to be a dictator. One has policies that he believes would make the country better, the other wants to use the presidency to dodge his imminent prison sentence and to enrich himself and his business. One is a decent human being, the other is a narcissist, a xenophobe and a bigot. One has concrete policy goals with clear implementation details, the other has vague promises and no implementation. Aside from that, look at Trump's record and what he himself has stated at various times:
  • Trump ignored COVID which made it worse than it had to be, undoubtedly resulting in many unnecessary deaths.
  • Trump's plan for global peace is surrendering to dictators and tyrants. He doesn't support Ukraine. He doesn't support NATO.
  • Trump wants to disband the Department of Education.
  • Trump wants to bring back firing squads and group executions.
  • Trump wants to make poor people work for healthcare. He almost succeeded once before.
  • Trump wants to weaken nearly every one of our institutions, especially the IRS.
  • Trump wants to cut the safety net in various ways.
  • Trump wants to weaponize the presidency for revenge against Biden and the democrats.
  • ... I could go on.
We have inflation because companies are taking advantage of the economic situation created by COVID and the COVID aid. The greed started during COVID but it didn't end there. They have, I guess, a sort of plausible deniability, so price-gouging laws are essentially worthless. Where is the objective line between price-gouging and normal business operations? Meanwhile, the Republican-controlled House and the de-facto Republican-controlled SCOTUS has crippled Biden (and the Democrats') ability to do anything about it. Not that they necessarily would have anyway. Any sort of legislation or executive direction to address this issue would be interfering in the "free market". Very few in power would be willing to do that aside from a handful of progressives.
You're not a huge Biden fan because he's not leftwing authoritarian enough. I'm picking up what your throwing down

The rest of your comment is just tired billionaire owned corporate media talking points that we've been hearing for years. You forgot one though and it seems pertinent right now.
  • Trump is going to get us into World War III.

Last edited by TraderPatTX,
Reactions: Pachee

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the context of your post I think you meant that Biden is going to get us into World War III. Aside from that error though, what specific policies of the Trump Administration did Biden reverse that led to these conflicts in the middle east or to inflation?

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me know when gas is back down to $1.87 a gallon, the border is not being overrun and there is no war in the Middle East. In other words, let me know when we are back to 2019 normalcy. It's no surprise that 75% of the country thinks we're on the wrong track. You must be the 25% of TDS retards who don't care how close we get to World War III or how many Jews are killed, as long as the mean orange man is not president.

""Probably"" is doing a lot of unnecessary heavy lifting here.
Christ you're especially stupid huh

Can you please back your claims? At least the one about how Joe Biden raised the gas prices?

Reactions: Xzi

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given the context of your post I think you meant that Biden is going to get us into World War III. Aside from that error though, what specific policies of the Trump Administration did Biden reverse that led to these conflicts in the middle east or to inflation?
Are you not old enough to remember? You have access to the internet. Use it for other reasons besides asking dumb questions.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you not old enough to remember? You have access to the internet. Use it for other reasons besides asking dumb questions.
Can you substantiate any of your claims with verified and backed data instead of telling people to "do their own research"?

Because clearly you have ALL the answers already. Help us out old wise one

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you substantiate any of your claims with verified and backed data instead of telling people to "do their own research"?

Because clearly you have ALL the answers already. Help us out old wise one
Do you disagree that gas was under $2, that Hamas and Israel weren't actively at war and that illegal border crossings were lower? Those are all easily verifiable facts

It's actually not ridiculous to expect someone to remember the events of 4 years ago

Reactions: Foxi4

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He is insinuating that gas was low because of Trump and high now because of Biden. I would like him to prove how Trump made it low and how Biden made it high.

Border crossings were also lower due to the global pandemic.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He is insinuating that gas was low because of Trump and high now because of Biden. I would like him to prove how Trump made it low and how Biden made it high.

Of course there are reasons you can't really pin on either guy - but he actually didn't say Trump caused the low prices

What he said was things were like that in 2019, which is true

Reactions: Foxi4

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you mean World War II

You wanna go toe to toe about verbal gaffes? Really? How about physical gaffes? Biden routinely gets taken out by stairs and sand bags.

You are not a serious person.

I'm not going to explain basic supply and demand to you. Fourth graders get this. Why can't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @RedColoredStars, whats that?