• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump's latest speech about Antifa taking down/vandalizing statues

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 10,314
  • Replies 176
  • Likes 3

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess we should remove George Washington and Thomas Jefferson's monuments now too since they owned slaves and rename Washington d.c.? Leave the monuments up as a reminder of the good and bad in the past, at the very least preserve them. Removing them still isn't going to change what they did, plus they serve a reminder of what is morally right and wrong.
Holy SHIT I hate this false equivalence. It needs to stop being circulated, Because I'm tired of mindless drones parroting the exact. same. thing.

YES, the founding fathers owned slaves. This is something that is often overlooked. However, they also drafted and finalized the very foundation that our country stands on now.

The Confederate leaders, on the other hand, rebelled against our country to specifically fight alongside an establishment built on the idea that whites are superior to blacks. They are traitors to our country, and the only place they have in our history is in museums and textbooks, not monuments and memorials

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not a Hillary supporealrter you righty simpleton.

Are YOU mad you lost the civil war and your participation trophies are being taken down? Lololol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm all for peace. I hate violence. Guess that makes me a snowflake that I don't like to see people get hurt or DIE, but whatever.

If everyone remembers correctly, some white dude punched MLK Jr. in the face while he was approaching his podium. All Dr said to him was "you shall be forgiven" or something of the sorts. I'd beat the fuck outta him. I'll give him a nice Richard Spencer across the face, kek!

Are you offended because i'm saying what i think about leftist like you?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Robert E. Lee was a general in the Civil War, yeah, and though his participation in that conflict was his most remembered achievement in life, he was also integral to the Mexican-American war. Where, yknow, he worked together with Ulysses S Grant to win near impossible battles to defend our country? And after surrendering to the Union, and telling his soldiers to accept defeat peacibly, though I'm sure with much resentment, he ended up being working for a southern college, where he helped implement engineering and journalism, which had heavy impact to schooling in that area?

I'm not saying that the guy was perfect, he wanted slaves. He was on the wrong side of history. But the civil war was not the only thing he took part in, and it's not the only thing that most Southerners/Texans remember him for. Many of the other important soldiers that fought in the civil war also had many other achievements to their name. Should we have had straight-up statues to confederate-only soldiers? Maybe not. Should leftists be putting all their focus to screaming at these statues? Probably not. There's bigger fish to fry. Like getting the heck rid of Soros/Stopping Antifa/Focusing on literally anything else.

Edit: To further add, southern pride is a big thing. My ancestors fought for the Union, and housed slaves. I have no familial blood that goes back to the south. But being born in Texas, I have a huge sense of pride to this state. Tearing down statues of anything related to Texas' freedom is a big no-no around here.

Last edited by Chary,

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*sigh* I don't trust politicians for a reason, and Trump is one the best examples of that. everything he says, every move he makes, is carefully planned to enhance his "tough love" and "I didn't want to be president, but someone has to" image. and your average Joe six pack, who doesn't know a thing from behind his TV or Facebook screen laps it up. hell I saw this completely ridiculous article on social media a few days ago, where a preacher claimed a man he knew made a prophecy 40 years ago that "Trump will lead America back to God" complete bullshit of course. all there was to it was a youtube video about a guy talking about it, no proof whatsoever....and the idiots in the comment section were lapping it up.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also like to remind everyone that the local government of Charlottesville decided they would take this statue down ages ago

And yet, those who are opposed to the removal of Confederate statues/monuments are nothing but ass clowns about the entire thing. as usual.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Robert E. Lee was a general in the Civil War, yeah, and though his participation in that conflict was his most remembered achievement in life, he was also integral to the Mexican-American war. Where, yknow, he worked together with Ulysses S Grant to win near impossible battles to defend our country? And after surrendering to the Union, and telling his soldiers to accept defeat peacibly, though I'm sure with much resentment, he ended up being working for a southern college, where he helped implement engineering and journalism, which had heavy impact to schooling in that area?

I'm not saying that the guy was perfect, he wanted slaves. He was on the wrong side of history. But the civil war was not the only thing he took part in, and it's not the only thing that most Southerners/Texans remember him for. Many of the other important soldiers that fought in the civil war also had many other achievements to their name. Should we have had straight-up statues to confederate-only soldiers? Maybe not. Should leftists be putting all their focus to screaming at these statues? Probably not. There's bigger fish to fry. Like getting the heck rid of Soros/Stopping Antifa/Focusing on literally anything else.

Edit: To further add, southern pride is a big thing. My ancestors fought for the Union, and housed slaves. I have no familial blood that goes back to the south. But being born in Texas, I have a huge sense of pride to this state. Tearing down statues of anything related to Texas' freedom is a big no-no around here.
Lee and Grant were also in the same class at West Point!

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd argue we're the ones who actually pay attention to history the most. We just don't want the worst parts of our history being worshipped and immortalized in a grandiose fashion in the current era
the winners write history, not the losers. they use the crimes and atrocities of their opponents to justify their own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.