Hacking TrustZoneHax on 3.x and below

methamz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I saw that Im at 4.0.1 unfortunately. Should I update or is it good to be stay at 4.0.1? There is hope for 4.x?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I saw that Im at 4.0.1 unfortunately. Should I update or is it good to be stay at 4.0.1? There is hope for 4.x?
There is hope for every firmware, it's all a matter of how patient you are. There will always be people saying it's never gonna happen but for all we know the golden firmware for the Switch ends up being 8.1 or something.

If piracy is important to you then wait for the TX modchip.

Reactions: machinoman

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read everything about it,
I got really curious how did Nintendo patched it in 4.0?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong please, but I believe the TrustZone exploit used between 2.X-3.X isn't known for sure to be patched on 4.X (So maybe it works, maybe it doesn't). Since it relies on kernel, and the kernel bug was fixed in 4.X.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone correct me if I'm wrong please, but I believe the TrustZone exploit used between 2.X-3.X isn't known for sure to be patched on 4.X (So maybe it works, maybe it doesn't). Since it relies on kernel, and the kernel bug was fixed in 4.X.

From my limited understanding, the backdoor hax for 2-3.x works on 4.x as well but since a memory controller was patched it's harder to get into TZ. Again that's my understanding on the 4.x situation. Could be wrong.

Stellar

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

cK14lTj.png

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
After a 4 hour Odyssey session last night. I'm quite happy to be on 3.0.2. Game is awesome. Pretty sure it(and mk8) will keep me entertained long enough to wait for homebrew.

While 1.0 may get it first, followed by 2.x and onto 3.0 then 3.x, by the time that comes around there should be some good developments

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't even bother targeting the kernel, since TrustZone gives them access to everything.
They need kernel access to get to TrustZone. Think of swtich hacking like a ladder, the first ladder step is userland homebrew, the second ladder step is kernel access, the third ladder step is the trustzone. When Nintendo made 4.0, they effectively sawed off the kernel ladder step, leaving a gaping hole in our ladder. This means that that the trustzome ladder step is still there, but we have no way to get to it since we first hsve no way to get through the hole in the middle of the ladder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Super excited about this! Although my Switch was 3.0.2 out of the box :s
This seems like it work on 3.0.2, just hang on tight without updating.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we don't know if Trustzone can be hacked on 4.x, they really shouldn't release the hack for 2.x-3.x. Because if it exists on 4.x, once it's released Nintendo will patch it--and Nintendo doesn't need to find an entry point first before they can do that.

Reactions: DMG

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They need kernel access to get to TrustZone. Think of swtich hacking like a ladder, the first ladder step is userland homebrew, the second ladder step is kernel access, the third ladder step is the trustzone. When Nintendo made 4.0, they effectively sawed off the kernel ladder step, leaving a gaping hole in our ladder. This means that that the trustzome ladder step is still there, but we have no way to get to it since we first hsve no way to get through the hole in the middle of the ladder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This seems like it work on 3.0.2, just hang on tight without updating.
Nice analogy.

People should simply check out the pyramid diagram in the 34c3 slides to understand the basic levels of security and how exploiting one can lead to another.

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
OP
Trophies
XP
If we don't know if Trustzone can be hacked on 4.x, they really shouldn't release the hack for 2.x-3.x. Because if it exists on 4.x, once it's released Nintendo will patch it--and Nintendo doesn't need to find an entry point first before they can do that.
TrustZoneHax isn't toing to be released anytime soon lol
Also it does work on 4.x, just there are a few complications stopping it working(?).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F