Hacking TX SX Faq #2 (Homebrew on all firmware Support and Payload Loading from SD Card!!!

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
"
Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!
"

lol
They aren't in stock anywhere mate. The resellers won't get stock until around the 15th June and then send them out to customers.
That's usually how preorders work.

Reactions: Erol

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
No one gave a shot years ago when all you could do was install a 3rd part mod chip into your PSX or PS2. They were never open source, there was never any guarantees you wouldn't do permanent damage to your console.
All of a sudden open source is a massive issue.

Is Windows open source? Have you ever or currently use it?
iOS and OSX, they open source? Have you ever or currently use either of these?
Horizon for switch OS, is that open source? I am gonna go ahead and assume you have used that one.

If you have an issue with lack of open source due to privacy concerns, then don't use windows, iOS, OS X, google, etc.
If you have an issue of no open source to do with continued support of the OS, Microsoft are stopping support for windows 7 soon, apple stop supporting new versions of iOS for old devices.

TX have been around since original Xbox days, unless something drastic has or does happen, I don't think they are going to suddenly abandon their device and risk never selling another one for a another console in the future.

Reactions: Centergaming

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
notimp does your name mean what I'm thinking it could? Like in a dns response code:
Response code:
0 = NOERR, no error
1 = FORMERR, format error (unable to understand the query)
2 = SERVFAIL, name server problem
3= NXDOMAIN, domain name does not exist
4 = NOTIMPL, not implemented
5 = REFUSED (e.g., refused zone transfer requests)

Not implemented! :D Funnily enough kinda like how emunand is not implemented in SX modware (some patches to nintendo's OS is hardly an OS of it's own).

Anyway I hate to say it, but I'm kinda with notimp on this one. Don't get me wrong when I first heard they were doing a modchip I had a slight rush of nostalgia for the old team way back when I'm pretty sure it was the old teams chip in my old ps2.

However when they actually released the info of what they were releasing, that's when the nostalgia went away and I always thought of modchipping as a permanent hardware solution, where you were paying for the hardware and it's clever use of soldering wires to the right places and inserted itself in between the right places to override the system and patch it's signature checks with unconditional jumps to check succeded code paths!

But things have changed since back then, and now I think they feel like basically anyone and their mother can put together the hardware part of it, the dongle or internal chip that injects the payload. So they feel like well wtf is our value if we just release something that anyone could build themselves, there's no uniqueness to it (maybe that's just in this circumstance, but maybe it's just that technologys advanced where there's so many tiny computers on a chip that it's maybe hard to be unique anymore.

So the only way they can feel like they're offering something different is by shifting the focus away from the hardware part of it and call their patches to the switch OS an OS (it's not an OS) that they then drmed. (Really? common man) Traditionally that was included as part of it along with the hardware and wasn't drmed and wasn't the focus, the chip was. They lost their chip edge and so now let's call signature check patches an OS, lol.

So you can do what you want but I haven't and won't be getting one and here's why:
1. As mentioned above there's nothing really unique about it this time around. Maybe the nature of the F-G exploit that's easy to run on anything, or maybe just the evolution of the environment we are in with tiny computers of all sorts all around, but it is what it is. Oh that's why they called it an OS, to make it seem like it's more than just a few patches to the system I get it now, it does sound like a marketing thing as notimp said actually since I just thought of that.
-> Just buy or your own dongle or internal modchip (in true modchip fashion) and in a little bit we'll get the same/similar/even better patches to achieve the same thing their 'OS' does and more.

2. They made their 'OS'/system patches proprietary. (This doesn't really make sense to me, since there's nothing really proprietary or secret about them, we'll figure out the same things to patch and then what really is proprietary about it?) I might of bought one for the hell of it if this wasn't the case instead of deciding to build my own internal modchip instead. Since it's closed and proprietary, it's hard to trust it because you don't know what it's actually doing or patching and none of that is transparent or modifiable and changeable by the user! So for instance say there's thing one thing that people are getting banned for and we figure out what it is and it's something simple to change, free and open source you can just know what that is, change it, and rebuild it with the fix. Theirs you wouldn't even know if that thing was patched properly, or you'd have to rely on them to fix it, waiting around for them to fix it when it's know and you could just patch it yourself or someone from the community patches it and ups it for others to use too! This part should have been open (it's going to be open anyways, regardless of who likes it or not), and they could have kept their uniqueness with an elegant internal solution, since most people are working on dongles instead of internals it still would've had an edge instead of just drm'ing the software route.

3. The non vanilla sysnand! I don't see what's the big deal, boot a patched copy of the os (or patch it on the fly) from the sdcard instead of sysnand (funnily enough they would of had more of a reason to call it an OS if they had done so), so that way you can stay on your current firmware and your nand backup that's good only for your current firmware will still be usable. If you update with a patched sysnand, where's your nand backup? I feel like you don't really have one, or at least not an untouched/unpatched one! When your patching stuff there's always a chance the patches could be incorrect or incorrect on different firmware (just look at the hekate situation with no 3.0.x support right now, yea patch incompatibility right there), so you always want a way to reverse what you've done in case it wasn't correct. Leaving the sysnand untouched, then your patches are always reverseable, because they were always only temporary!

So yea those are my reasons, and I don't mean to discourage anyone from getting this, but I'd hold out for the internal version and if they open up the code they're using or at least let you not use their proprietary code at all and just use the device with a free and open cfw solution! One that's safer, more developed (more eyeballs looking at it, more people working on it), and one that's user modifiable and configurable and fully transparent about what it's doing so the user of it doesn't have to just trust it, but that they know they can trust it!

Reactions: Centergaming

NickyPLS

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
And thats what TX' solution is at tits heart. Not the best, or the most thought out, but the first one to the market. Maybe.

But then you also have to tell your customers the downsides.

So far all that has come out of that end of the spectrum has been a understated "be a aware of a risk to be banned".

Also - and this is an offer to meet somewhere in the middle, I would be far less critical of TX' approach, if they didn't chose to layer DRM on top of their hacks to even create more problems after their roll out.

Greedy marketing artists, with a bad approach, but first to market. (And with a rather attractive dongle thingy... Which would have been enough to drive interest from everyone - but no...)

Also - all the other accusations still apply.

- Dont try to win over people by fake brand identity (their current website isnt even set up to include a Switch section, for all I can tell, they are operating out of maxconsole, and have bought the defunct xecuter brand - to rope people in with accolades that lay way in the past)

- Dont play marketing campaigns - where you fake being user centric, and responsive - when you almost did nothing to warrent that notion.

- Don't use NLP methodology - in the first statements of press releases. I agree, on the "its fake science" part, but its always used there nevertheless. (Forming a public image through attribution, with pleasant sounding proverbs, that never get explained, and are there entirely out of context.) Its not that this is a no go - but people like me will always stumble over it, and think that its unnecessary and just tacky.

But then you also have to tell your customers the downsides.
Actually, you don't. They're not selling medicine, they're selling software.

understated "be a aware of a risk to be banned"
You're literally barraged by people from all sides telling you there's a risk and we even have a scene developer banned now. Their FAQ says the don't know if you'll get banned or not. You're breaking your license agreement with Nintendo by running unsigned code. You have been formally warned, in that agreement, by Nintendo themselves. It's a legal document saying your service will be terminated if you tamper with their console. You have an overstated warning by a first party. TX isn't responsible for what you're doing with their tools.

fake brand identity
They have their own R&D behind their product, how is this a fake brand identity? They still manufacture and sell their previous products too. Does a flashy website change that?

almost did nothing to warrent that notion
I'm sorry, are you accusing them of not supporting a product that isn't even out yet?

Forming a public image through attribution, with pleasant sounding proverbs, that never get explained, and are there entirely out of context.
This is literally how every ad in existence works.

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one gave a shot years ago when all you could do was install a 3rd part mod chip into your PSX or PS2. They were never open source, there was never any guarantees you wouldn't do permanent damage to your console.
All of a sudden open source is a massive issue.

Yea but they were unique, they offered something that no one else could give you. They worked hard to design the thing that they sold you and it worked and you enjoyed it and thanked them for giving you what not many people could or were willing to. Now with anyone able to make a dongle, and soon anyone to patch the sig patches, there's nothing unique or special about what they're offering. So that's the difference. The old ps2 etc modchips WERE SPECIAL AND UNIQUE!

Is Windows open source? Have you ever or currently use it?
iOS and OSX, they open source? Have you ever or currently use either of these?
Horizon for switch OS, is that open source? I am gonna go ahead and assume you have used that one.

If you have an issue with lack of open source due to privacy concerns, then don't use windows, iOS, OS X, google, etc.
If you have an issue of no open source to do with continued support of the OS, Microsoft are stopping support for windows 7 soon, apple stop supporting new versions of iOS for old devices.

I don't use or never have and never will use windows 10 or anything like it, it's a virus, spyware, it's pure evil revealed visibly and broadly! Once win7 become obsolete it might be the end of my windows days forever unless they turn things around and offer a version without the built in virus and spyware.
So yea that reveals the importance of free software/open source right there, and I've mostly transitioned to linux and have been using it as my main OS for a while now. Along with macOS though and you're right that's not open source not all of it anyway, but that's because they haven't visibly to me done anything as crazy and shady as msft with win10! So I still feel I can trust it.

You're right though maybe I should just stick with linux personally so that I can be serious about the free software and open source everything! Free and open is especially important in this use case though because the situation is fluid, these patches we're doing might need to be changed and updated over time with newer firmwares, and we might have to mod certain things to be undetectable, etc. It's important for the user themselves to be able to do that, with the aid of the entire global community helping each other out! Relying on this one party to do it, when as people suspect and might be right they're just using stuff from the global community anyway and just taking credit for it as their own. It's fine if they want to use our stuff, but acknowledge that it is and give credit and don't claim it as your own!

Last edited by softwareengineer,

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The patience is so low with these ones. Atmosphere is really not that far off, and it will do all this and more. I don't really get the fuss.

I thought the same but since I only want backups, T-X will be delivering that first. It might be a while before somebody forks Atmosphere and adds backup loading and I can afford $45 for unlimited games so I went with T-X.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Now they are answering "dah" questions - and slipping in their "responsibility deligation" regarding the expected online bans. :)

Way to go TX. :)

From now on its people own responsibility, when they are getting banned as part of the game, or firmware update process, right?

You don't have anything to do with that!

And you've warned them!

People really should have listened...

The only real "news" in this release, and that is, that they linked the HBL nro as part of their patches. Thats 2 seconds of work on their part, btw. And now they can advertise "homebrew support". As an afterthought.

Just like it was peoples responsibility to deal with bans when using Xbox 360's online with that had modded DVD drive firmwares. Nintendo's online presence blows. Their only claim to fame is great, first party games..........which can be enjoyed completely offline.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
they require you to activate the OS once, in my opinion the most harmless way of implementing DRM.

I don't get why you keep making weird assumptions like that, but i guess your mind can't help it.
It's more of a license key than a DRM. But people mistakes DRM for something else today.

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
Yea but they were unique, they offered something that no one else could give you. They worked hard to design the thing that they sold you and it worked and you enjoyed it and thanked them for giving you what not many people could or were willing to. Now with anyone able to make a dongle, and soon anyone to patch the sig patches, there's nothing unique or special about what their offering. So that's the difference. The old ps2 etc modchips WERE SPECIAL AND UNIQUE!

I don't use or never have and never will use windows 10 or anything like it, it's a virus, spyware, it's pure evil revealed visibly and broadly! Once win7 become obsolete it might be the end of my windows days forever unless they turn things around and offer a version without the build in virus and spyware.
So yea that reveals the importance of open source right there, and I've mostly transitioned to linux and have been using it as my main OS for a while now. Along with macOS though and you're right that's not open source not all of it anyway, but that's because they haven't visibly to me done anything as crazy and shady as msft with win10! So I still feel I can trust it.

You're right though maybe I should just stick with linux personally so that I can be serious about the free software and open source everything! Free and open is especially important in this use case though because the situation is fluid, these patches we're doing might need to be changed and updated over time with newer firmwares, and we might have to mod certain things to be undetectable, etc. It's important for the user themselves to be able to do that, with the aid of the entire global community helping each other out! Relying on this one party to do it, when as people suspect and might be right they're just using stuff from the global community anyway and just taking credit for it as their own. It's fine if they want to use our stuff, but acknowledge that it is and give credit and don't claim it as your own!

It's unique and special to me. I say that as I am not a dev. I know nothing of programming.
TXs dongle is (currently) a unique piece of equipment. It very likely that there will be cheap Chinese knockoffs incoming, but do you think that without someone like TX putting some R&D into this thing that there ever would be a knockoff that anyone can buy?
People might have made their own and made the design/guide public on GBAtemp. But without a mass producible product like this TX dongle we would either all be stuck with tethering to PC/Phone for at least the forceeable future, or making big, ugly home made solutions that come with their own risks.

You have admitted to using Microsoft windows (I didn't specify 10, I just said windows. They are all closed source).
I'm sure you have either an iPhone (closed source) or android, which although open source (at least on pixel and other google made devices, not fully with modified versions like fire OS) they still can result in phone being bricked or having many issues (nexus p6 for example) and google is tracking every single little thing you do on your android device and using it to sell you shit.

I don't think the TX solution is the be all and end all. I think it is a good option that has its benefits.
If and or when Atmosphere becomes a better option, I will likely adopt that too/instead of.
I did the same with Gateway/Lumia.

Let's not forget that not everyone is good either. Some horrible individual(s) could make a fork of Atmosphere and claim they added all these great features, people give it a try (I'm sure there are less devs using the software than their are devs using it) without checking the code as it means nothing to them and it's actually something malicious. It's not impossible for something like that to happen.
Just a link pasted in a comment, looking innocent and legit and causes some shitty days for some people.
World is not black and white.

Last edited by Wezaa,

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone else get annoyed when people call it a FG exploit, when we seen the exploit 2-3 times from other teams first? Get your head out of... Nevermind.

MehMeh27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo can scan cards without us being able to know they've done it, can't they? I mean, how would we find out?

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares man?
People bitch about anything intell ya
When people are bagging out TX accusing them of taking the exploit etc. They demoed first, just didn't give it a fancy name... All I read is they will release this or that once they can steal it from atmosphere. People are blind to the fact they showed first. Time will tell, it's pretty much people picking a side for reason. PS. Ive been agreeing with you on nearly every post ;)

Last edited by Soluble,

Lallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think TX SX will be superior for running backups for a long while since we are paying for a product and a team who has been around for a long time. If any problem will arise I'm sure TX will work to update their OS to keep up.

I just have a question. Since you can boot the original firmware and upgrade it to play newer games, it's not possible to get banned right cause you boot to the original firmware and it detect SX OS right?

jakkal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will wait and see but I can just load the xci with TX OS and update from it (current rip comes with 3.0.1 afaik)

Will wait and see what though? He's gonna need to update to play games that require higher firmware

Simple

I think TX SX will be superior for running backups for a long while since we are paying for a product and a team who has been around for a long time. If any problem will arise I'm sure TX will work to update their OS to keep up.

I just have a question. Since you can boot the original firmware and upgrade it to play newer games, it's not possible to get banned right cause you boot to the original firmware and it detect SX OS right?
I'm sure the OS will log everything
Tx SX is detectable so we all risk ban

Lallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Will wait and see what though? He's gonna need to update to play games that require higher firmware

Simple

I'm sure the OS will log everything
Tx SX is detectable so we all risk ban

But what about downloading firmware updates on game cartridge and update via that way or to somehow update without connecting to Nintendo official servers?

jakkal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what about downloading firmware updates on game cartridge and update via that way or to somehow update without connecting to Nintendo official servers?
Currently there's no way to get access to game updates from another source, only from Nintendo servers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i just worked out and i'm feeling great