Hacking TX SX Faq #2 (Homebrew on all firmware Support and Payload Loading from SD Card!!!

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
Thats your fault, Nobody should do this.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

And why? If I own something, I.e. The console and a separate SD card. I can use them however I see fit. If I wish to use my SD card for both my console and for personal data I have every right to do so without the risk of Nintendo illegally accessing my personal data on that card.
The new data protection lawns in Europe are quite comprehensive and would likely cover this sort of situation about companies accessing customer data.

Reactions: Quantumcat

LikeATrollFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Downloaded .cias do not include headers. Cartridge backups / .3ds roms do and people were definitely banned for playing online with those on Gateway/Sky and the likes that had headers that were used by thousands of people.
The .cxi cartridge backups include headers as well. I would stay the hell away from going online while being in SX OS altogether. If you boot standard OS, the backups are not registered (just laying around there on the SD), that will surely not get you banned. I think there needs to be another solution for updating games than going online on SX OS and updating a backup.
The updating part shouldn't be an issue, as far as Nintendo can tell it might just be a legitimate cardridge asking to update. I doubt they will check the headers upon requesting a cartridge update.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
And why? If I own something, I.e. The console and a separate SD card. I can use them however I see fit. If I wish to use my SD card for both my console and for personal data I have every right to do so without the risk of Nintendo illegally accessing my personal data on that card.
The new data protection lawns in Europe are quite comprehensive and would likely cover this sort of situation about companies accessing customer data.
Agree here 100% personal storage device is not locked to specifics for the switch device - the latest terms and conditions may have changed that , but the fact remains , switch has a personal storage device reader , you can put PII data on this and move it back to the switch - if they scan read or touch that data - you can claim for breech of GDPR .

Last edited by DaveLister,
Reactions: Wezaa

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The updating part shouldn't be an issue, as far as Nintendo can tell it might just be a legitimate cardridge asking to update. I doubt they will check the headers upon requesting a cartridge update.
Well, no one knows that for sure. If there was a way to update without going online, i.e. by patching it into the .cxi, I would prefer to do that and never go online while booted into SX OS.

Regarding the FAQ, I do like that Homebrew will be easily launchable as well. No need to swap around payloads.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
As for the "why would you even want emunand?" question?

So that you can choose between:

- Staying on a lower firmware, waiting for a hack that doesnt need a dongle - while still having access to all features of a newer CFW.
OR
- Staying on the most current firmware for playing online with your friends and using the eshop, while still having access to all features of a new CFW. (And close to zero ban risk - because you havent modified your system partition. Or have any pirated games' saves on it. Swap out your sdcard and you are fine.)

TX' OS allows neither option. They've decided for you - that you would rather save some diskspace on your SDcard - and likely be banned as soon as you go online, because they modify both systemnand and ram and encourage you to go online to update the firmware in that state. They already have released "responsibility delegation clauses" that you should be aware of a "risk to get banned" (no jokeing, ha...), and their official stance is people will always be banned - idk, we sell the faster easy approach - and then will copy the open source emunand, when that implementation is released. And then add DRM.

I can't wait for that press release btw... (Dear TX, customers - you now have the ability to still access online without getting banned! Great new feature. We say sorry to the 95% of our customers who already got banned - but to all our new customers, those are exciting news.. )

Also - TX solution requires you to also update to the newest firmware (thats demanded by a game you want to play) - on sysnand - while frying efuses. But with none of the benefits of doing so (as you'll get banned from online - in no time). Its the dumbest thing on earth - but saves you space on your sdcard! Rejoice! Thank you for not putting the work in Xecuter - and now have your users banned in no time.

There is a reason, that all of a sudden TX started to talk about emunand as well. But of course - to 95% of their customers this will not matter - as they will advance their Switches stock firmware and get banned by Nintendo in no time.

But some of them are very adamant not to be told what to do with their money. :)

I actually said
For all those who are asking for Emunand, I don't fully understand the point of it.
Feel free to enlighten me on the subject. I genuinely am not sure of the benefits at this point.

I also stated that if you even want to play online, use eShop, etc, then you will have to update to current OS.
If you are using emunand and update to go online, Nin will probably be able to detect you are on CFW and ban your console (they will ban the console not the emu partition. The serial number/MAC address associated to the console will be banned)

So if you want to use the sysnand to play current games online, well guess what, you will need to update that one too. And if you do then you have lost your possible softmod ability.
There may also be flags on the system showing a secondary nand has been used on the system.

We do not know what Nintendo can and can not detect.

If you want to customise your console then be prepared for a ban regardless of which CFW you are using/supporting.
Having a go at TX for including the "use at your own risk cos you may get banned" is ridiculous. Atmosphere will come with the exact same warning.

Release a FAQ with answers to obvious questions ("Can I get game updates?!" > "Yes, online - as long as you are on a current firmware - and they havent banned you yet!") no one asked, while still not answering more important questions - because they make them look bad?

They sure did.

edit:

There is another reason why emunand might turn out to be safer. It is conceivable, that Nintendo introduces a hidden marker with their next firmware update - if it detects a modified system partition - and then looks for that marker on consequitive updates. Which allows for all kinds of fun games to be played. Also such a marker might be hard to find. At which point everyone with emunand - still has a normal functioning switch on the sysnand side - while everyone in the TX' camp doesnt. (This last paragraph is hypothetical. There is no indication, that this is about to happen. But there is always the possibility. And Nintendo has marked specific switches - on the nand, in a certain way before.)

Let people use what they want to use, they get banned then they were aware of the risks. As far as I can currently tell, the ban risks seems the same regardless of which CFW you choose to use. The chance of your console becoming unplayable is very low due to the hack being bootrom/hardware related (FG), so updating the sysnand in fears of future ability to load CFW is also unlikely.

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Release a FAQ with answers to obvious questions ("Can I get game updates?!" > "Yes, online - as long as you are on a current firmware - and they havent banned you yet!") no one asked, while still not answering more important questions - because they make them look bad?

They sure did.

edit:

There is another reason why emunand might turn out to be safer. It is conceivable, that Nintendo introduces a hidden marker with their next firmware update - if it detects a modified system partition - and then looks for that marker on consequitive updates. Which allows for all kinds of fun games to be played. Also such a marker might be hard to find. At which point everyone with emunand - still has a normal functioning switch on the sysnand side - while everyone in the TX' camp doesnt. (This last paragraph is hypothetical. There is no indication, that this is about to happen. But there is always the possibility. And Nintendo has marked specific switches - on the nand, in a certain way before.)

What's your problem with TX? I see you writing multiple fking paragraphs about them trying to make people not buy their products.....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

May I say - what a bunch of lying wheasel words on part of their product department?

Im of course refering to this:

Lies. Nothing but Lies. As a result of feedback, they wrote two lines of code. Then they wrote fifty lines of marketing bullsh't to paddle it off as "great new features" and a great user centric effort.

What a bunch of...

SX OS is a SH*T product, with entirely unnecessary DRM - whose license will buy you nothing but neglect, because you've supplied them with all the money they'll get out of you at the point of purchase.

All they did there was a two line code change to let you launch the work of others. Also they are not at all set up to "improve homebrew support" in any way in the future. They have nothing to do with it, as far as we can tell, and will always piggyback off the work of others.
That they want to make you think, that they will be responsible for improving anyithing on that front is a marketing lie and and absolute outrage.

This is about as dishonest as you can get as well.

This would require an entire different method and approach from what they chose to sell as a product. They can promise nothing of that sort in the near to mid term future.

They didn't need user feedback to "think about" that, they thought about it - and decided, to sell users something different.

I hate PR lies - I especially hate them, when they are trying to congratulate you for your intelligent input that lead to "features". The hack it did.

If they try to sell off almost zero effort changes, as something they are not - even prior to release, I can't wait on their track record from now on... Never heard of "be humble, and don't exaggerate as part of your press statements", havent they.

They really think they can sell on hype, and not on reviews.

Yo dude, seriously, what a bunch of bullfuckingshit. You're acting like a fking idiot you do realize that right?

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are "more important questions" exactly?

Reactions: Centergaming

NickyPLS

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
The only new thing they didn't have up front, is a two line code change to let you launch the HBL nro.

There is nothing else they did, to rectify the story about the "highly responsive company - reacting to consumer requests".

Its a ruse.

Creative writing skills.

They didn't do anything else.
--

To back up the part where I insisted that they lied, when saying, that asking "if you could play newer games on older firmware - made them think really hard, and forward that question to their dev department" - is a an outrage of a PR lie - you really nead nothing more than common sense.

Any developer working on that thing, thinks about that questions in the first minutes he's on the task.

So dont try to play this off as "great and valuable user feedback you were getting".

Almost none of TX's features were designed with the user benefit in mind. And now they try to cover that over with a PR campaign of "we are so accessible and sesponsive".

The heck they are.

When I am talking about never putting user interests first in their entire design process - I'm talking about those decisions: [link]
And now they are trying to launch a fake pre release "social responsibility campaign" with nothing but fake "this is how much we care" bullet points, made up out of thin air.

They did nothing as a result of the feedback they got. Except to write two lines of code. To then write fifty lines of marketing BS to sell you a new feature - and make this the first point in a fake "we listen to your worries" campaign.

Please excuse me for catching this out.

I also very much dislike their first paragraphs, where they always speak about their excellent products - simply by adverb attribution. Thats some really shitty NLP methodology as well.

Some people catch that, you know?

Also - people please don't go by likes on arguments, go by actual arguments - because they have their PR accounts roaming in here as well.

I'm sorry but this post is so ridiculous I made an account just to comment.

"Any developer working on that thing, thinks about that questions in the first minutes he's on the task."
Obviously you're not a developer because you would know what goes into organizing a development cycle along with R&D for a complicated project such as a cfw for a current gen console.
Add to that the pressure of beating other solutions to the market and you're faced with 2 choices: deliver a product with limited fleshed out features that work well and build more on top OR deliver a feature-rich product ridden with bugs and/or difficult to use.
You tell me which will sell more.

Almost none of TX's features were designed with the user benefit in mind.
I don't know if you have any knowledge of TX but (and this is just an assumption) they've been around since way before you decided to go around posting ill-informed opinions on forums. Their solutions for hacking previous gen consoles are still being supported, they're still selling well even though they're being pirated to hell by chinese knock-off companies, and they're still the preferred modchips for xbox. They have a pretty good track record in that regard. Their dongle is currently the cheapest ready-to-use solution for using payloads, and they have confirmed you will be able to use your own, essentially not chaining you to their ecosystem. How is that not beneficial to the user? If you don't want their hardware, you can just buy the license. This isn't beneficial enough for you either? The main concern in the post you linked seems to be getting banned by Nintendo. They explicitly say that you may get banned. Furthermore, no one can make a promise like that. No matter the guarantee there's always the risk of being detected. Even on the 3ds people still get banned. If anyone's naive enough to believe they're untouchable, that's on them.
You also touch on the matter of being locked inside their ecosystem. You may be, to a very small extent. However, first of all you're buying a license for a software they own, that is the inherent meaning behind it and you're not being lied to, you just have poor understanding of what you're buying. You pay for a Windows license too, do you also shout at Microsoft for locking you inside their ecosystem? I hope you don't. You are paying to use their software. You are essentially agreeing in advance with the direction they decide to go in the future. And if you bought the dongle and you no longer agree, you're free to use it with your own payloads. How is that a constraint? You're coming across as being entitled with this point.

"The only new thing they didn't have up front, is a two line code change to let you launch the HBL nro."
Again, I don't even think it's worth it to point out how wrong you are and how little you seem to know about developing software. Two lines?

"NLP methodology"
What does pseudoscience have to do with anything? Every business has the right to claim their product is the best. This isn't some jedi mind trick. They're trying to sell their investment. They're advertising. On their own website. That's all there is to it.

"PR accounts roaming in here"
The burden of proof is upon you. Your claim may or may not be true, unless you have reasonable proof. You haven't shown any yet.

Misinformed fear mongering is a bigger problem than someone offering a product you can simply ignore if you dislike.

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry but this post is so ridiculous I made an account just to comment.

"Any developer working on that thing, thinks about that questions in the first minutes he's on the task."
Obviously you're not a developer because you would know what goes into organizing a development cycle along with R&D for a complicated project such as a cfw for a current gen console.
Add to that the pressure of beating other solutions to the market and you're faced with 2 choices: deliver a product with limited fleshed out features that work well and build more on top OR deliver a feature-rich product ridden with bugs and/or difficult to use.

Almost none of TX's features were designed with the user benefit in mind.
I don't know if you have any knowledge of TX but (and this is just an assumption) they've been around since way before you decided to go around posting ill-informed opinions on forums. Their solutions for hacking previous gen consoles are still being supported, they're still selling well even though they're being pirated to hell by chinese knock-off companies, and they're still the preferred modchips for xbox. They have a pretty good track record in that regard. Their dongle is currently the cheapest ready-to-use solution for using payloads, and they have confirmed you will be able to use your own, essentially not chaining you to their ecosystem. How is that not beneficial to the user? If you don't want their hardware, you can just buy the license. This isn't beneficial enough for you either? The main concern in the post you linked seems to be getting banned by Nintendo. They explicitly say that you may get banned. Furthermore, no one can make a promise like that. No matter the guarantee there's always the risk of being detected. Even on the 3ds people still get banned. If anyone's naive enough to believe they're untouchable, that's on them.
You also touch on the matter of being locked inside their ecosystem. You may be, to a very small extent. However, first of all you're buying a license for a software they own, that is the inherent meaning behind it and you're not being lied to, you just have poor understanding of what you're buying. You pay for a Windows license too, do you also shout at Microsoft for locking you inside their ecosystem? I hope you don't. You are paying to use their software. You are essentially agreeing in advance with the direction they decide to go in the future. And if you bought the dongle and you no longer agree, you're free to use it with your own payloads. How is that a constraint? You're coming across as being entitled with this point.

"The only new thing they didn't have up front, is a two line code change to let you launch the HBL nro."
Again, I don't even think it's worth it to point out how wrong you are and how little you seem to know about developing software. Two lines?

"NLP methodology"
What does pseudoscience have to do with anything? Every business has the right to claim their product is the best. This isn't some jedi mind trick. They're trying to sell their investment. They're advertising. On their own website. That's all there is to it.

"PR accounts roaming in here"
The burden of proof is upon you. Your claim may or may not be true, unless you have reasonable proof. You haven't shown any yet.

Misinformed fear mongering is a bigger problem than someone offering a product you can simply ignore if you dislike.

You sir, know your shit. Notimp, knows nothing but shit

Reactions: Bitchplease

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
And thats what TX' solution is at tits heart. Not the best, or the most thought out, but the first one to the market. Maybe.

But then you also have to tell your customers the downsides.

So far all that has come out of that end of the spectrum has been a understated "be a aware of a risk to be banned".

Also - and this is an offer to meet somewhere in the middle, I would be far less critical of TX' approach, if they didn't chose to layer DRM on top of their hacks to even create more problems after their roll out.

Greedy marketing artists, with a bad approach, but first to market. (And with a rather attractive dongle thingy... Which would have been enough to drive interest from everyone - but no...)

Also - all the other accusations still apply.

- Dont try to win over people by fake brand identity (their current website isnt even set up to include a Switch section, for all I can tell, they are operating out of maxconsole, and have bought the defunct xecuter brand - to rope people in with accolades that lie way in the past)

- Dont play marketing campaigns - where you fake being user centric, and responsive - when you almost did nothing to warrent that notion.

- Don't use NLP methodology - in the first statements of press releases. I agree, on the "its fake science" part, but its always used there nevertheless. Forming a public image through attribution, with pleasant sounding proverbs, that never get explained, and are there entirely out of context. Its not that this is a no go - but people like me will always stumble over it, and think that its unnecessary and just tacky.

notimp, the person that is much in demand, and so very innovative, and beautiful, and truthful in its approach - and alsways user centric and reacts to all the input he has gotten, in a fast - and professional way.

Its tacky. Let others be the judge of that. Don't blow your own horn.

Last edited by notimp,

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And thats what TX' solution is at tits heart. Not the best, or the most thought out, but the first one to the market. Maybe.

So far all that has come out of that end of the spectrum has been a understated "be a aware of a risk to be banned".

Also - and this is an offer to meet somewhere in the middle, I would be far less critical of TX' approach, if they didn't chose to layer DRM on top of their hacks to even create more problems after their roll out.

Greedy marketing artists, with a bad approach, but first to market. (And with a rather attractive dongle thingy... Which would have been enough to drive interest from everyone - but no...)
they require you to activate the OS once, in my opinion the most harmless way of implementing DRM.

I don't get why you keep making weird assumptions like that, but i guess your mind can't help it.

Reactions: Centergaming

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They aren't "greedy marketing artists". I've known TX since the xbox 360 days and they had some DRMs in their modchips before, they don't usually open-source their modchips.... (They did open-source with a few)

Last edited by Centergaming,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: +2