• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.K. and U.S. banning TikTok from Govt Phones, but They Should Just Ban It Entirely

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tiktok should be banned worldwide, just like Twitter and Instagram. Facebook is (slightly) less toxic in my opinion.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blocked in government institutions? absolutely! Though, I believe that ALL social media should stay off of government owned devices and networks.
Banned entirely? absolutely not. I can't stand TikTok myself, but I don't think it needs to be banned by any means. FB, Twitter, and essentially every web company collects just as much, if not more data than TikTok does, and frankly if you're gonna ban one of them for that, you should ban all of them for that.
However, I strongly disagree with this, and I believe you should have the freedoms to use whatever platform you want, but if a company(or in this case, government institution) allows you to use their resources, then they have the right to not allow certain websites to be accessed on said resources.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I can't stand TikTok myself, but I don't think it needs to be banned by any means.
I've never been on it, but I've seen people on youtube and places like that exposing some of the weirdo's that exist in our society. No it shouldn't be banned as it's good for exposing these people, basically it's a good tool if used for profiling purposes and those that use it and post stuff - well it can be used against them in the future when the need arises.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Over concern about Privacy, and Data would get sent to China's Government, huh????? Refresh my memory, but what major Electronics does China make again??????? By that "Logic", our Information has been available to them for Years

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so people who get phones from the gorvement with low income can't get TikTok on there phones don't pull a god damn sony here USA.... just don't. also IDGAF about TIKTOK...

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so people who get phones from the gorvement with low income can't get TikTok on there phones don't pull a god damn sony here USA.... just don't. also IDGAF about TIKTOK...
Oh no, I don't support that. I'm referring to government devices such as stuff like access points in government institutions and cell phones provided to you as a work device. If you get a cell phone provided to you due to assistance programs than they need to keep their hands off of it and treat it just like any old smartphone bought from a retailer.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know if they ban this the appstore is just going to be filled with "TikTokVPN" apps that do even worse shit with your phone/data, and the idiots that didn't know any better in the first place will just be exploited even more.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know if they ban this the appstore is just going to be filled with "TikTokVPN" apps that do even worse shit with your phone/data, and the idiots that didn't know any better in the first place will just be exploited even more.
Oh 100 percent. All 'VPN' apps are scams, and I could definitely see even more scummy apps come out if TikTok was banned in the US. Sadly the masses wouldn't know any better either. It would ironically lead to even more data mining. Rule of thumb: don't ever connect to a VPN unless it is one that you, a trusted person, or your employer own the server. The only use for these VPN providers is for shady shit, and frankly, trusting these companies with ALL of your traffic is asking for trouble. I know the US is also going after these companies with the same ban proposal, but I guarantee you, malicious apps will still be made

I hold my stance though. I think if a company or entity owns the equipment, they have the right to put whatever content bans they choose, and I don't think that social media should be allowed on any government network or device, because those are huge security risks. Every single one of them log sensitive info about their user and their network environment. I'm also against BYOD on government networks as well.

Reactions: SonyUSA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken do you think any of them asked for a different tattoo? Like could I get a star of David...