UK police arrest 17 year old over recent Rockstar Games hacks

Instant 5 stars, me lad

City of London police, supported by the National Crime Agency's cyber crime unit, have detained a 17 year old male from Oxfordshire, United Kingdom over what appears to be an investigation regarding the recent and monumental Rockstar Games leaks of last week as well as other hacking attempts possibly related to Uber Technologies.

Rumours circulating on Twitter suggest he was operating as part of the hacking group Lapsus$. He remains in police custody at this time.

More details are expected to be released by the police or possibly FBI later today.

:arrow: Source

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.... pa, pa pppppp

Eric Weisz aka Houdini once said, there is no such thing as a lock that cannot be picked/circumvented/opened. On that note, I have always considered a computer and its security a lock of different sorts.
"What's created by man, can be cracked by man. It's just a matter of time"

Reactions: ChaosEternal

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
This is nonsense news, because nowhere are they specifying the reason, so the simple fact of placing the news assuming something that is wrong and is called sensationalism... Disappointment of post...

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many skewed viewpoints of right and wrong. Law is law. Theft is theft. I don't blame them for wanting to protect their IP. They put lots of work in developing these games, with a specific time table of how they release info on them. Someone comes along and interferes with that plan only because their too impatient to wait for the developers release schedule. He deserves to be punished because he knew what he was doing was illegal.

susbaconhairman

I am the official skribbler
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
So many skewed viewpoints of right and wrong. Law is law. Theft is theft. I don't blame them for wanting to protect their IP. They put lots of work in developing these games, with a specific time table of how they release info on them. Someone comes along and interferes with that plan only because their too impatient to wait for the developers release schedule. He deserves to be punished because he knew what he was doing was illegal.
But piracy is good! Especially from a multi-billion dollar bad company like EA or Roackstar!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I care more about the "how" than the "why" he did it. It is really impressive if he managed to do it on his own without any help, or without any insider knowledge..
Now, the way he was boasting (if he was the one) about having these kind of data (videos included), and he went and posted them online without any secrecy, was kinda reckless and he should've expected that it would end up this way.
As to his fate, i'm pretty sure Rockstar & Take-Two will most likely make an example out of him..

elpapadelospollitos

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, a punishment accordingly to the crime like paying a fine and restricting his internet access, not 10+ years in prison

Last edited by elpapadelospollitos,

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, a punishment accordingly to the crime like paying a fine or something like that, not 10+ years in prison
I never said what I thought his punishment should be. But he needs to learn a lesson. Kids nowadays don't know punishment because it has been removed from the education system and parents hands have been tied. A fine and restricted access to technology for a short while would seem fair enough for the minimal amount.

Reactions: elpapadelospollitos

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it turns out this kid was the hacker (not sure, seems to be some ambiguous/conflicting info) then hopefully someone offers him a whitehat hacking job. At least he'd get to use his skills for some profit.

Last edited by Maximumbeans,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...