Homebrew Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi friends, I have a small problem on my N3DS with mame games, everything works fine with a satisfactory speed but my problem comes from the allocation of the keys, I specify that I did not touch anything in the configuration of origin but the B key and the D-pad have a double use which seems activated, I can both use these keys to play but also to modify parameters (OSD Menu), I have however checked the input parameters and everything seems set to use these keys during gameplay without duplication. Result: when I play mame game, I can't play without unintentionally messing up all the settings, it looks like hotkeys, how can I disable/change that? Besides that, I can display the OSD menu during a game but I can't validate anything, the only thing I can do is close the menu or move the selector up and down...

If someone can help me to fix this problem it could be great, thx in advance.

Edit : problem fixed

Last edited by Indy13,

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just updated my N3DS for the first time since 1.9.3 and got a pleasant surprise with the new lower screen menu! Very nice (the font needs some work but I am sure you're on it)

Thanks for your continued efforts @MrHuu !

Let me know if I can lend a hand in any way? Graphics, code, testing, etc.

ps: I'm playing Stevedore using fMSX core and restore points works great! https://thenestruo.itch.io/stevedore

AVVVVVV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know where I can find an up to date guide for setting up PCSX re-armed?
I noticed that on the latest nightly I don't have a menu where I can tweak CD access type anymore either.

tacticurn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I installed the Libretro Caprice32 core for Amstrad CPC, and whilst it works just fine, I cannot call up the virtual keyboard at all on the 3DS. Anyone had luck with that? I tried to bind the combo key to Y, I taped Down+Select, Y+Select. No luck :<

Lehnah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I open the .cia zip all the files are all over the place. They appear exactly this way when extracted. The retroarch folder is completely empty. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Screenshot 2023-02-22 171817.png

Exists

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here's a build featuring the ability to connect to a netplay host.

Creating a netplay host is not functional currently.

For now, enable the netplay menu manually: 'Settings > User Interface > Views > Show Netplay tab'

Can somebody please explain to me in an idiotproof way how you connected the 3DS to the computer? I cannoct connect it to my android device, I do not know why.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can somebody please explain to me in an idiotproof way how you connected the 3DS to the computer? I cannoct connect it to my android device, I do not know why.
did you setup the port fowarding stuff? i dunno about retroarch netplay and such, but usually the issues with netplay boil down to the ports being closed

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Netplay on 3ds is not usable on current builds.
The libretro networking / netplay code has been reworked, requiring a different method to start a netplay session.

Now it requires the core to be reloaded (and updated) with the netplay parameters passed as an argument. The arguments are not received properly after restart, so there is currently no way to start a netplay session.

If you want to use an older build, you can. But make sure the versions of the builds (host and client) are matching else it wont work at all.

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The RetroArch Team did a wonderfull job on bringing us a 3DS version of their project.
Seeing how development on the 3DS version of RetroArch has slowed down nowadays,
i thought it would be best to just get the most out of what we've got up until today.

Would you create an better version of the Virtual Boy Core?

Reactions: matt!

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Would you create an better version of the Virtual Boy Core?
I probably can't, sorry.

@MrHuu
Sorry to ask again but would it be possible to have a HATARI core on the 3DS ?
This is a very basic port without optimizations. Only tested with some ST games with a 1.02 TOS.

- 'tos.img' has to be available in: 'sdmc:/retroarch/cores/system/'
- It may be required to eject and reinsert another disk image through 'Quick Menu -> Disk Control' sometimes

Attachments

• hatari_libretro_3DSX_05-03-2023.7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • hatari_libretro_CIA_05-03-2023.7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I probably can't, sorry.

This is a very basic port without optimizations. Only tested with some ST games with a 1.02 TOS.

- 'tos.img' has to be available in: 'sdmc:/retroarch/cores/system/'
- It may be required to eject and reinsert another disk image through 'Quick Menu -> Disk Control' sometimes

Thank you so much. I will test ASAP.
Post automatically merged:

@MrHuu
Ok tested on N3DS but unfortunately too slow (I would say around 70-80% speed of real device). It needs optimizations.
Thanks anyway for trying :)

Last edited by CrashMidnick,
Reactions: matt!

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of the RetroArch cores are very old, using old CPU Emulation that is inefficient by modern standards.

Certain cores have recently been upgraded (eg. px68k now uses different 68000 CPU Emulation, to fix a bug but the side effect is that it is more efficient).

I'm not sure how difficult it is to upgrade a core like this, but that would be the only way to do it for Hatari.

Last edited by matt!,
Reactions: CrashMidnick

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick note.

I'm not sure of current defaults, but thought I'd mention that I'm getting much better performance with Settings > Audio > Output > Audio set to dsp_thread rather than dsp.

I'm playing Super Pang arcade with Final Burn Neo, using a New 3DS.

Might this apply to other cores?

Last edited by matt!,

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick note.

I'm not sure of current defaults, but thought I'd mention that I'm getting much better performance with Settings > Audio > Output > Audio set to dsp_thread rather than dsp.

I'm playing Super Pang arcade with Final Burn Neo, using a New 3DS.

Might this apply to other cores?
I remember somebody mentioning a while back that using dsp_thread was a step in improving the performance of PCSX ReARMed. Wouldn't be surprised if it helped other cores too.

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried some more things and threaded video also improved performances, so I am playing these CPS1/2 games at 60fps whereas without those things it was nearer 40fps.

If these are not the default, then how do we make them default?

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried some more things and threaded video also improved performances, so I am playing these CPS1/2 games at 60fps whereas without those things it was nearer 40fps.

If these are not the default, then how do we make them default?

If you do not see any problems with games, leave it as default (I did it for PSX rearmed and never set it back to anything else since).

To leave it as default, quit Retroarch via its menu and check if "save configuration on exit" is set in your general config or do a manual save of your default config.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: