Unofficial Bloodborne 60fps patch released to the public

Last October, Lance McDonald had a working version of Bloodborne that ran at 60fps. He planned to release the patch, but wanted to wait a little while in order to give Sony or FromSoftware time to make their own official one for the PlayStation 5’s launch. After a handful of months and zero signs of a 60fps Bloodborne update in the works for the PS4 Pro or PS5, McDonald has made his patch available to the public. His mod, which was released on his Patreon, allows hacked PS4 systems and copies of Bloodborne updated to v1.09 of the game to run at a smooth 60fps, with the option to lower base PS4 resolution output to 1280x720. Gameplay of the patch running can be seen in the YouTube video above, courtesy of Digital Foundry.

I have build a utility that, when applied to a copy of Bloodborne v1.09 (the latest update), will modify the game engine in a way that allows most of the gameplay logic to run at arbitrary update speeds, increases the framerate cap to 60fps, and optionally lowers the rendering resolution to 1280x720.

Please be sure to decrypt your eboot.bin and if needed, "un-sELF" it as well. The file when viewed in a hex editor should start with "ELF" and be exactly 93667641 bytes in size.

:arrow: Source

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Last October, Lance McDonald gave FromSoftware and Sony an ultimatum: either release a patch that would allow Bloodborne to run 60fps on PlayStation 4, or he would release his own fan-made patch. After a handful of months and zero signs of a 60fps Bloodborne update in the works for the PS4 Pro or PlayStation 5, McDonald has made his patch available to the public. His mod, which was released on his Patreon, allows hacked PS4 systems and copies of Bloodborne updated to v1.09 of the game to run at a smooth 60fps, with the option to lower base PS4 resolution output to 1280x720. Gameplay of the patch running can be seen in the YouTube video above, courtesy of Digital Foundry.

:arrow: Source

It gets even funnier than that. The"ultimatum" was pure drama added by Kotaku. He always intended to release it sony patch or not.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1315924449925890052

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1315927281043296256

upload_2021-2-9_11-49-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-9_11-48-50.png
    upload_2021-2-9_11-48-50.png
    341.2 KB · Views: 289

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It gets even funnier than that. The"ultimatum" was pure drama added by Kotaku. He always intended to release it sony patch or not.
gg Kotaku, now him holding the patch hostage has been reported as the story all along by tons of high profile sites. Thanks for letting me know, I updated the OP.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's preventing Sony/Fromsoftware from releasing this patch in the first time?!

Usually it's an excuse like "ensuring it performs correctly", but Sekiro's awfully inconsistent frame rate on the pro/x disproves that, so it's probably just a mix of "the game is too old, why bother", and wanting the game to have a higher resolution because that's what people can see in screenshots.

See also why Nintendo made BotW run at 900p on Switch when it's obvious it's struggles and should have been 720p like on Wii U.

NNate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd bet on a PS5 Bloodborne Remaster by Bluepoint entering development soon, assuming it's not already in development. FromSoft has too many other projects they're working on already.
They did a great job with Demon's Souls

Reactions: Xzi

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What's preventing Sony/Fromsoftware from releasing this patch in the first time?!
The main issue is that Bloodborne was created using a PS4 SDK that had no support for the PS4 Pro's (and, obviously, the PS5 now) extra hardware, as it didn't exist when it was developed. Lance McDonald's patch only runs under "Boost mode" on the PS4 Pro, which does provides somewhat more power, but it still isn't actually accessing all the available resources, and isn't enough to maintain a proper 60fps at resolutions that are higher than around 720p (as you can see in the Digital Foundry video, where even at 720p you'll still see frame drops). But even with access to the extra hardware of the PS4 Pro, you still couldn't really maintain 60fps at much more than 720p anyways as a lot of the limitations on FPS for Bloodborne currently come from the very weak CPU in the PS4/PS4 Pro, so even with an official patch it's not going to run much better than this would without a significant rewrite of the Bloodborne engine (which, let's face it, will not happen).

In order to make this particular patch official, the game would have to be recompiled with a new SDK with the same kinds of timing changes Lance made. While this is 100% doable, it's not quite as easy as a simple quick recompile and go, they would need to dedicate resources to making a proper patch and then for play testing (even if Lance and others have spent a lot of time doing it, an official patch would still need to be tested internally for verification's sake), but as noted above, From Soft currently has a lot on their plate and it's just not a priority to go around throwing precious developer resources at a 5ish year old game with basically no player base anymore.

As noted by Xzi again, it's possible a Bloodborne Remaster on PS5 could come at some point from a third party company, but that likely won't exist for a good long while (like, towards the latter half of the PS5's life) so this patch is probably the best you'll really get.

But good on Lance for getting this out and about, especially now with hacked PS4s becoming a bit easier to get a hold of thanks to the recent exploit releases.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Id software should totally backport Eternal's engine to 2016, and release it as a performance update. This would keep the games somewhat consistent as far as performance and hardware requirements go.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HAVE ORIGINAL copy, how to use with disc version?

can't with disc version. you need to dump the game with app dumper (needs exploitable firmware), create a gengp4 of the dump, then lastly create the fpkg using the gengp4. I have a tutorial on it (I think) in pinky's ps4 tutorials. @KiiWii also has a tutorial. if you don't have the update needed 1.09, you can install it from one of the patch sites. most of those are official patches afaik, and have multiple old patches, and they'll work with the disc and can be dumped with the game at the same time. the config file by default dumps each game and patch separately. I don't know how this patch is being offered, so you'll have to use their instructions to add it to the game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, I dumped this game myself (the disc game) as it's one of the few games I own. worked without issue. I'm not sure if I had a patch downloaded. I'd have to look into that. anyway, discs and digital versions of the game are dumped exactly the same way.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
indeed, I still have my copy, because all four of my retail games are only worth about $50 altogether. I also had 9 digital games. I dumped all of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4