• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

USA: are you better off than a year ago?

As a US citizen, are you better off than a year ago?

• Yes (explain why)

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • No (explain why)

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Not better, not worse (explain why)

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I'm not a US citizen but I want to vote in the poll anyway

Votes: 46 42.2%

• Total voters

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here's the thing: People rarely have any objective view on how good or bad they're actually off.
Tell a person long enough that it was better two months ago and they will believe it. Give that person a reason why and they will parrot it.

In Germany, an entire nation started to believe their life sucked when the jews were around and it improved when they were gone and they were in a state of war for years.
Today, despite crime rates being almost non-existent compared to 20 years ago, people still feel less safe and as if crime was as rampart as in the 50's.
In the US, people blatantly ignored how much Obama had saved their ass from Bush's final fuckup, to quickly noticing how much better things were about a month after Trump was in office, praising the graphs and ignoring the time axis entirely.

My guess, people are overall worse off than before. A few are objectively better off, any maybe even a handful of those had no perspective 5 years ago, but can waste away their body in a mine today, so they don't have the strength to think about that nonsense. But dozens times more people are worse of for any one of those.
Then, right this second, people might see a slightly higher number somewhere in their financials due to some cuts or deductions. Yet, with the slashing of gov. services that will follow to balance that budget, they will quickly come to a point where they suddenly have to spend more than before and more than they initially saved. Yet, they might not even notice that and actually feel better, with less.

All that still isn't taking into account the short and longterm fallout that will come out of the US alienating most of the world, having literal mental retards leading the department of education and people who couldn't spell science with a dictionary leading whatever department is meant to keep the environment from dying.

tl;dr: Humans suck at evaluating anything.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not much difference. Only major one is the spasm of illness whenever POTUS decides to wake up and provoke North Korea. Most of his Twitter tantrums are obnoxious and classless, but easy enough to ignore due to being harmless and impotent. But continually engaging in an ego driven dick measuring contest by provoking a deranged dictator (psychotic immature manchild with the capacity to kill millions with the push of a button) is just nerve-racking.

My overall beliefs would place me on the liberal side. Though i'm more nuanced on certain issues than radical leftists, i'm not a card carrying liberal (I dislike Hillary and don't support her, nor Trump). I condemn the violence from Antifa for instance.

I don't think many people are going to notice immediate changes. That is rarely the case except with sudden economic collapse (even that is the result of problems building up over years). Net Neutrality being discarded will probably be felt fairly soon however. Throttling was already happening in secret even WITH regulation in place, it'll be far worse with it actually being legal now.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 6 months into medical school. This time last year I had no clue what I was doing with my life - now I'm on track to realize my dreams.

I'm a lot happier now than this time last year. As with all politics - no it hasn't really affected my life in any way that Trump is prez. The politicians are all working for the corps no matter which side they're on - so different face, same shit.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
We are a nation worst off than we were a year ago. My medical insurance was almost taken away, rent is skyrocketing out of control, the homeless population is exploding, heroin use is on the rise, people who have lived here their whole lives are now being deported to a country they have never known, and all the good things President Obama had done for humanity are being undone. I'd say as a country, no... we're FAR from "better off than a year ago". We're rolling backwards into a stupid, unethical shitpile by an incompetent, loose cannon dipshit of a "president". And we have 3 more years of this horse shit, minimum!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Now, as a person, in my personal life... Yes, things are better, and less stressful overall in my home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto