Video shows possible drift issues already arising with the Nintendo Switch Lite

The Nintendo Switch has been a success in many ways, but where most can agree that the console has fallen short, is in regards to the Joy-Cons; ever since the launch of the Switch, Joy-Con drift has become a rampant issue. Such problems were assumed to be done away with the Switch Lite, the smaller, more portable oriented variation of the Switch, which lacked the detachable Joy-Cons. However, once a teardown of the new hardware had taken place, it was revealed that the joysticks used within the Switch Lite were almost identical to the problematic ones from the drift-ridden Joy-Cons, meaning that it was entirely possible for users to still experience drift.

Such a problem could be much worse for the Lite revision, as the control sticks are connected to the entire system, and cannot be removed and replaced as easily as they can be with the original Switch. In a video posted by Alexis Javier, he shows off his brand new Switch Lite playing Breath of the Wild, and you can quickly notice that input is being registered on the right joystick, despite the user not pressing any buttons. Now, the video in question could just stem from an unlikely rare, faulty unit. Or, it could have been done in order to raise outrage during the launch week of the Switch Lite. As of the time of writing, this video appears to be the only popular source showing off possible drift with the console, but only time will tell if drift will begin to impact owners of the Switch Lite.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
The caps are easily replaceable. What I meant is that the mechanism of the stick is the exact same. Look at a disassembled Vita stick and a disassembled Switch stick and you'll see that they are the same.

You're missing my point. The absence of rubber flaps means it's impossible for dust or debris to enter the Vita's stick. Dust accelerates wear, and it's possible for things like cat hairs to get in the Switch's stick (that was my second stick's cause of death.)

It's not defective components, it's defective design. There's a very large difference. The vita stick doesn't have the problem since it's pretty much a closed system.

Also, all analogue sticks look the same inside the metal. It's literally two potentiometers and some mechanism to move them with a center rod.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You're missing my point. The absence of rubber flaps means it's impossible for dust or debris to enter the Vita's stick. Dust accelerates wear, and it's possible for things like cat hairs to get in the Switch's stick (that was my second stick's cause of death.)

It's not defective components, it's defective design. There's a very large difference. The vita stick doesn't have the problem since it's pretty much a closed system.

Also, all analogue sticks look the same inside the metal. It's literally two potentiometers and some mechanism to move them with a center rod.
If you'd have checked the video, you'd know it has nothing to do with dust and debris getting into the stick from outside, but rather the graphite being scratched and eaten away from the metal part of the stick. Like I said, I had to replace many Vita stick because of drifting issue, and all of them were due to the metal scratching the graphite inside the stick.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i always felt Nintendo products have lower quality and they seems to care less about it in general about quality since Mr. Iwata passed away.
I remember always being fascinated how nintendo carefully thought out EVERY little detail to a crazy levels, and i was always so much fascinated by it and thought to my self "geniuses"

Last edited by MetoMeto,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
They don't make them from Nintendium anymore
They sure don't xD
Nintendo is weird lately... It's as if aliens work there now with a sinister plot to destroy all humans.
Samus better be ready!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I must add that i still think Dreamcast controller has THE best solution and the most simplest tech for Analog sticks!
I never understood why no one copied that. It usses magnet and detector of magnetic field on the PCB (4 of them..up, left, right, down) and stick only has plastic housing and a magnet. Only thing that can ever break is plastic it self..but that can be thought out or made with tougher plastic.

Last edited by MetoMeto,
Reactions: IC_

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i always felt Nintendo products have lower quality and they seems to care less about it in general about quality since Mr. Iwata passed away.
I remember always being fascinated how nintendo carefully thought out EVERY little detail to a crazy levels, and i was always so much fascinated by it and thought to my self "geniuses"
The level of quality dropped off a cliff since the DS, I think. The GBA and the GC used thick, strong plastics, Nintendo's consoles have been progressively getting flimsier ever since. Surprisingly, I find that the Xbox One S and X come pretty close to the fabled "Nintendium" feel of the material, but it's clear that all of the big three players are cutting down on material spending to the detriment of durability. As for the Switch Lite, it actually feels pretty good compared to most portables these days. The sticks are not necessarily poorly made, they're just badly designed - they're so miniaturised that something's gotta give.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It did with the Switch and New 2DS XL
I couldn't agree more the new 2DS build quality is atrocious, it's the most flimsy poorly designed console ever....probably even more so than the x360 imho, as for the switch....idk there is a few weak points but it wasnt exactly crap, more just has a few flaws that should've been caught during the design process, but it's mostly just isolated to the joycons

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The level of quality dropped off a cliff since the DS, I think. The GBA and the GC used thick, strong plastics, Nintendo's consoles have been progressively getting flimsier ever since. Surprisingly, I find that the Xbox One S and X come pretty close to the fabled "Nintendium" feel of the material, but it's clear that all of the big three players are cutting down on material spending to the detriment of durability. As for the Switch Lite, it actually feels pretty good compared to most portables these days. The sticks are not necessarily poorly made, they're just badly designed - they're so miniaturised that something's gotta give.
3DS sticks work perfectly (at least for me) idk why they didnt go with that design..also it would be slimmer.

As for quality...i remember buying originam DS when it first came out, it was cool and sturdy! i remember charging it and cable was across the room and my mother got in wothout looking and with full force caught the cable with a legg and DS slammed so hard against table i thought its all over, but nothing, not even a scratch. Later, i saw DS lite, and i sold original (so money for new one) and bought Lite, and than i saw all over internet people complaining about hinge breaking off, and i thought to my self "fools, who knows how badly they mistreat their DS lite. Nintendo is made of nintendium!" and later that month i suffered the same fate..i literally did nothing to bad to it, and i was actually surprised, because nintendo was always epitomy of something Strong!

its not just the materials, but the way they make the consoles and the design overall. for example original DS and GBA SP has double hinge, its so strong you just cant break it!

Reactions: scandal_uk

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think that's also when they stopped making consoles in Japan and moved to China

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think that's also when they stopped making consoles in Japan and moved to China
China is fully capable of producing quality electronics, it's really more a matter of Nintendo cutting manufacturing costs.

3DS sticks work perfectly (at least for me) idk why they didnt go with that design..also it would be slimmer.

As for quality...i remember buying originam DS when it first came out, it was cool and sturdy! i remember charging it and cable was across the room and my mother got in wothout looking and with full force caught the cable with a legg and DS slammed so hard against table i thought its all over, but nothing, not even a scratch. Later, i saw DS lite, and i sold original (so money for new one) and bought Lite, and than i saw all over internet people complaining about hinge breaking off, and i thought to my self "fools, who knows how badly they mistreat their DS lite. Nintendo is made of nintendium!" and later that month i suffered the same fate..i literally did nothing to bad to it, and i was actually surprised, because nintendo was always epitomy of something Strong!

its not just the materials, but the way they make the consoles and the design overall. for example original DS and GBA SP has double hinge, its so strong you just cant break it!
They did go with that design - the wipers are almost identical, the only thing that's changed is the assembly and the inclusion of the R/L button. It's fundamentally flawed, it's just that the 3DS assembly doesn't put as much pressure on the tracks.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did go with that design - the wipers are almost identical, the only thing that's changed is the assembly and the inclusion of the R/L button. It's fundamentally flawed, it's just that the 3DS assembly doesn't put as much pressure on the tracks.
That's concerning... because I did wreck one of those 3ds analog sticks when working through unlocking stuff in Smash 3DS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's concerning... because I did wreck one of those 3ds analog sticks when working through unlocking stuff in Smash 3DS.
FbHfDAFCy4m6cKaD.jpg EE9hkb6U4AE6QQ6.jpg
The concept is the same - a conductive piece of flex and a set of metal wipers. You'll notice that the Switch stick also has an integrated tact switch in the form of a dome, but is otherwise very similar. The Vita sticks are an even closer match.

scandal_uk

Not Really There
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Exactly my thoughts - my Ambassador 3DS has seen some abuse and is still as reliable as ever!! All my old Nintendo consoles have good, durable sticks that stand the test of time!

I have two Switches (both original, early release models bought when Switch was released) one has terrible drift on both JoyCons and the other has no problems at all. But the Pro Controller is great - that should be the stick used on the new Lite handhelds!

I should send my faulty JoyCons back really, don't know where to start lol!

Reactions: MetoMeto

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Exactly my thoughts - my Ambassador 3DS has seen some abuse and is still as reliable as ever!! All my old Nintendo consoles have good, durable sticks that stand the test of time!

I have two Switches (both original, early release models bought when Switch was released) one has terrible drift on both JoyCons and the other has no problems at all. But the Pro Controller is great - that should be the stick used on the new Lite handhelds!

I should send my faulty JoyCons back really, don't know where to start lol!
You're from the UK, so you have the luxury of having a local Nintendo service centre. All you need to do is book a repair or replacement.

https://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol