We should get a Critical Thinking forum!

Quantum

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've spotted on some other forums that they have a specific section in the Forum Index called "Critical Thinking," which is used for stuff such as debates, theories, politics, essays, etc. I think that this forum would benefit quite a bit if we added one, since there are many people here that, well, critically think. Also, I think that the General Off-Topic section is just... too general. It covers so many things, so I think a critical thinking portion could make the General Off-Topic forum less congested. What do you guys think about this idea?

Garageboy101

GBAtemp's personal GooK -('.-)
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm ... i guess that pretty kool so itd be easier to talk about other stuff... we could divide it into critical thinking.... how about other consoles discussion............ computer shitz .................................................................. well thats all i can think off

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like this idea.

Now if only critically thinking people could get in...
biggrin.gif

Legend

.missing
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh yes...That is a VERY good idea, IMHO.

Only thing is, that mods may have a problem against this, because I predict a lot of disputes starting up through "Critical Thinking" topics. I still think it's a very good idea though.

Ask KiVaN maybe? Or maybe Tempest, lol

Happy trails.

Squiffy

GBATemp's Little Embarrassment
Trophies
Website
pyon.co.uk
XP
Country
This is a good idea and one I would like to see happen.
I just hope people don't post random nonsense and we can actually get some serious discussion.
Also, I would like to think that the average intelligence here is high enough for this kind of section, but thinking back to all the really idiotic behaviour over the years, I'm not too sure.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm worried about people not being able to hold their tounge when someone says something they don't like and talk about in a civilized manner instead of "Y0u f****** s*** b4g! You a f****** m0r0n! GO DIE!!!!!!!11111111"

Also, I think KiVan has already stated that he doesn't want other console sections due to him not wanting alot of sections.

Ruth

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This sounds like it could be a good idea...I'd like to think at least that there quite a few people here who are capable of having civilisized debates/discussions.
I'm certainly in favor of at least trying something like this out...

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it would be a good idea, but it would have to be heavily modded. Also, not everyone would be willing to join in conversations there because they would actually have to learn how to spell correctly and use proper grammar. I would really like this area to get started, but I have the feeling it will involve the same ten or so people in every conversation.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
In this type of forum you'll end up with a few people who can behave sensibly, and a lot of immature people just winding them up by posting nonsense.
It usually ends up as a flame fest and suspensions fly thick and fast.
I wouldnt participate but it would be fun to see if this forum could do this without what I think would happen, happening.
biggrin.gif

Ruth

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm..it's true that people would have to learn to spell and type...But many conversation involve the same people, it's just a matter of what interests you.
Perhaps we just need a few people to start some good discussions every once in a while instead of actually creating a section for it....

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Perhaps we just need a few people to start some good discussions every once in a while instead of actually creating a section for it....
Amen, Broken_by_Design.
smile.gif

If people are starved for good converation, all they need to do is create a topic in the off-topic section, no real need for another section. Especially considering the usual discourse on GBATemp, something tells me that such a section would probably wither and die anyway.

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Amen, Broken_by_Design.
smile.gif

If people are starved for good converation, all they need to do is create a topic in the off-topic section, no real need for another section. Especially considering the usual discourse on GBATemp, something tells me that such a section would probably wither and die anyway.
Plenty of great conversations have been created in the past, but the majority of them wither away because you either get the wannabe "leet" people, the kiddie AOL posters, or just the complete idiots who ruin the topics. I'm someone who is always looking for an intelligent conversation, sadly though, it usually only happens in real life or via instant messenger.

Quantum

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well so far it seems that most people like that idea... at some other forums, the Critical Thinking sections actually are quite successful and have a lot of people participate. I hope an admin reads this and adds one to try out for a while!

Ruth

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might I also suggest throwing a few ideas into the ring for topics of discussion?

For example, today on the radio I heard a discussion about an animal rights campaigner from the US, who wants ALL experiments banned and (from what I heard) considers the killing of animals as to the same severity as killing a person...Apparently they're talking about banning him from visiting the UK, as some people would argue that testing on animals is viable say to find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis...

amy test

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For example, today on the radio I heard a discussion about an animal rights campaigner from the US, who wants ALL experiments banned and (from what I heard) considers the killing of animals as to the same severity as killing a person...Apparently they're talking about banning him from visiting the UK, as some people would argue that testing on animals is viable say to find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis...
Animal testing/experiments IS needed to some degree. You wouldn't want something you don't even know abut its potential side effects/complications to enter your body, would you? Lots of advances in medical/dental field are the results of animal experiments. For example, the modern day titanium implant and the concept of osseointegration is derived from an experiment made on rabbits.

That animal rights campaigner is an extremist in my opinion.
Thank you.

Legend

.missing
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, I actually think that I like the idea of having intelligent conversations in the Off-Topic section more than just creating a "Critical Thinking" section now....Discussions about discrimination, extremists, etc, make for good serious intelligent discussions from what I've read before....I mena, being only 16, it's hard for people to take what I say seriously, but for some reason on forums, it's like your opinion is somewhat respected.

I'm all for the idea of serious intelligent discussions, making this place like a forum again...However, if I see any "leet", kiddy AOL users or complete idiots who ruin the topics, I think I'll blow a fucking gasket due to the fact that I've had it with people coming on this forum specifically to make trouble because they've got nothing better to do.

Happy trails.

P.S.
I honestly hope that the serious discussions are modded very closely, and I do hope that mods will take part in them...For all our sakes.

Try2bcool

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, this topic should be moved to the Critical Thinking section, there seems to be a lot of it going on in this thread!
huh.gif

Seriously though, I don't think it's such a good idea to bring such a section into this environment...politics, animal rights, abortion (yes even that), gay rights, racism, etc...are not present here to much extent, nor should they be.
Let this be a haven of sorts for those that just want to come and talk about the things we enjoy, not things that we don't!
What is a forum for? I perceive it to be a place that has a general theme of discussion about one type of hobby or subject of interest.
This is a Game Boy Advance Emulation forum, and from what I've seen, it stays pretty close to that subject (due in no small part to the great efforts of the Staff *SMOOCH*), and, it attracts and keeps those whose interests lie in art, graphic design, photography, gaming in general, comic books, movies, etc...
These are all entertainment issues, things that the biggest contributers to the forum have a common interest in.
Do we really need to have a section of the forum that is going to cause hate and discontent? How many of you who followed the cruddybuddy business a while back, were greatly upset by the flaming and the strong words and opinions of that whole mess? I was very upset that the forum I had come to enjoy spending a great deal of the little free time I have, had been ripped apart and changed. Openly discussing politics alone would ruin this forum...few things in the world can cause hate and discontent like politics, except maybe discussions of religion.
So please, I ask all of you to think about what a 'Critical Thinking' section could do. If you like the way it is now, then leave it be...we're having fun here...
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: