What are some of your controversial gaming opinions

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You. I like you.
see, unlike the other guy, we can disagree on somethings and agree on others, also, the only bit of HL2 that was mechanically interesting was ravenholm, the rest were either well done but uninspired dystopian landscapes without any gimmicks or the floor is lava on steroids

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see, unlike the other guy, we can disagree on somethings and agree on others, also, the only bit of HL2 that was mechanically interesting was ravenholm, the rest were either well done but uninspired dystopian landscapes without any gimmicks or the floor is lava on steroids
I dislike HL2 as a whole personally. It's not just a bad sequel to HL1 that fails to carry it's legacy but it completely fails to do anything interesting, and this stance was cemented by the Beta's content being far more darker, and interesting. It wasn't just an evil dystopian society, it was an incredibly alien dystopian society, and dark as fuck parts like the manhack arcades, the labor mills, the air exchange, and Kliener dying in the first chapter really help set the tone. Half Life 2 doesn't really keep a dark tone, most of it just feels post apocalyptic, but then you get parts like Ravenholm that feel like they're just zombie apocalypse more than they are oppressive military regime invasion like the City 17 chapters or Nova Prospekt. It really feels like a game that changes it's tone too rapidly. There would've been so many cool as fuck sections too, like where you'd fight the Incinerator aliens as they cremate bodies in the streets, or storm Breen's office to find him on a pedestal, surrounded in a sphere of monitors, watching every move in the city.

You should really look into The Axel Project if you haven't. It's a beautiful look into Valve's creative process and what ideas they went through. I play through the parts that aren't busted every year or so just because it's so fun and interesting to play through. I can respect that people like HL2 as it is, but I am firm in my belief that the beta represented a far superior product that was a lot more original than what we got now.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I dislike HL2 as a whole personally. It's not just a bad sequel to HL1 that fails to carry it's legacy but it completely fails to do anything interesting, and this stance was cemented by the Beta's content being far more darker, and interesting. It wasn't just an evil dystopian society, it was an incredibly alien dystopian society, and dark as fuck parts like the manhack arcades, the labor mills, the air exchange, and Kliener dying in the first chapter really help set the tone. Half Life 2 doesn't really keep a dark tone, most of it just feels post apocalyptic, but then you get parts like Ravenholm that feel like they're just zombie apocalypse more than they are oppressive military regime invasion like the City 17 chapters or Nova Prospekt. It really feels like a game that changes it's tone too rapidly. There would've been so many cool as fuck sections too, like where you'd fight the Incinerator aliens as they cremate bodies in the streets, or storm Breen's office to find him on a pedestal, surrounded in a sphere of monitors, watching every move in the city.

You should really look into The Axel Project if you haven't. It's a beautiful look into Valve's creative process and what ideas they went through. I play through the parts that aren't busted every year or so just because it's so fun and interesting to play through. I can respect that people like HL2 as it is, but I am firm in my belief that the beta represented a far superior product that was a lot more original than what we got now.
i have to disagree on a couple things, the main problem with the beta is that it was way too many ideas that couldnt be tied tougheter easily without weird copouts, such as the old ravenholm intro, in which there was supposed to be a time skip due to you taking a boat ride to it, since ravenholm used to be a sea side village as opposed to the mining town we got, same thing with the borealis intro, they had no idea how to tie everything tougheter.
that said i do agree that the ideas are a amazing and have a tone that is not only darker than the released game but also the first one and while they are amazing i think valve realised that they went overboard with the depressing compared to HL1 and decided to tone it down, though they also went overboard with that too, which i think was a terrible mistake since i would rather have a darker than HL1 HL2 than a lighter than HL1 HL2.

i dont think HL2 is a bad game nor a bad sequel, but its the bare minimum to even be a sequel, because besides the better graphics, vehicles, physics and enemy AI, it might as well be a total conversion of HL1, i say that not only due to how little it expands but also how much it feels like a streamlined, refined half life and not like an improved half life.

i do think some of this is because of how half life 2 suffers from the exact same thing quake 2 did, devs didnt want to make a sequel, they wanted to make something different, so they did, ending with a sequel that may seem similar to the original on a surface level but is completly different in execution

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

new pokemon games suck they are just cinematics
lootboxes arent that bad
vita was a good console
lootboxes are terrible because you can pay for them and they are random, the 2 factors that combined make gambling what it is, people dont dislike the mechanic, else they wouldnt like diablo
also, do you mean the vita as in the console + games or the hardware itself? because the vita was a mess of good ideas and bad ideas alike, but i dont think anyone can argue that it had a bad library

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
something that can be proved is wrong is simply wrong, you can give counter proof to prove me wrong, but i really want you to show me that, because i really dont think anyone can.
What do you mean, you don't think anyone can? I can prove it, and it's not even hard! Here goes:

I once considered buying a game, but wanted to try it out for myself first. So i pirated it. I ended up playing it so much that i held off buying it until it had a couple price cuts and a 75 percent discount.
In other words: had i bought the game rather than pirated it, the company would've gotten about 40 bucks extra in sales. Hence... Piracy influences sales.
(And that's an example where the company was able to sell me their game for one tenth of the price... i can give more than a few examples of companies i pirated that went bankrupt instead).

Your turn (in pb if you don't want to further detail this thread): prove to me that piracy not only doesn't affect sales, but in a way that doesn't involve a leap of faith (which is required if you really think you can "factually" prove it).

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was talking to some friends about what I like and don't like in games and was wondering what are some of your opinions about games, game series, etc. that are not popular opinions.

For example here are just 3 of mine.
Dark Souls 2 is better than Dark Souls 3
Smash 4 is a disappointment
And my most controversial opinion.... Breath of the Wild is not a great Zelda game and to me was a bit of a let down.

The purpose of this is to not insult what people like to see the other side of a coin.

Be respectful and let's here some controversies.
the nge games are just hot steaming garbage just like then rest rest of the franchise

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kingdom Hearts sucks
the wii was generally a bad console
I like the DS more than the 3DS
Vita is actually great and should have been supported more in the US
The best Mario Kart was MK64 and that was worse than Crash Team Racing. The MK series has been going down hill ever since.
Melee or no Smash

Reactions: Chary

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Kingdom Hearts sucks
the wii was generally a bad console
I like the DS more than the 3DS
Vita is actually great and should have been supported more in the US
The best Mario Kart was MK64 and that was worse than Crash Team Racing. The MK series has been going down hill ever since.
Melee or no Smash
I like the 3DS more because it can play DS and 3DS games.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What do you mean, you don't think anyone can? I can prove it, and it's not even hard! Here goes:

I once considered buying a game, but wanted to try it out for myself first. So i pirated it. I ended up playing it so much that i held off buying it until it had a couple price cuts and a 75 percent discount.
In other words: had i bought the game rather than pirated it, the company would've gotten about 40 bucks extra in sales. Hence... Piracy influences sales.
(And that's an example where the company was able to sell me their game for one tenth of the price... i can give more than a few examples of companies i pirated that went bankrupt instead).

Your turn (in pb if you don't want to further detail this thread): prove to me that piracy not only doesn't affect sales, but in a way that doesn't involve a leap of faith (which is required if you really think you can "factually" prove it).
do you have any proof that actually affected sales? i bought DOOM only after they removed denuvo, on a sale for 20 bucks, did that make iD go under? i dont think so, sales matter, the actual price doesnt as long as they get money, besides, thats how capitalism works, an older product just gets cheaper, specially when it comes to something that isnt physical

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

he means neon genesis evangelion

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
the Dpad that nintendo has been using since the DS lite is dog shit, its sharp edges hurt my fingers and the only time diagonals where easy to use was ironically in the 3DS, where it takes a back seat to the circle pad.
I agree about this so much!

The DPAD is just shit. I actually broke a DS Lite DPAD because of the poor design.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I agree about this so much!

The DPAD is just shit. I actually broke a DS Lite DPAD because of the poor design.
the DS lite is the worse of them all, i wasnt even aware of the fact that it had diagonals till i got a DSi of my own (ds lite wasnt mine), the new 3DS XL one is nearly good, but it still doesnt work well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HgOvEYrDc