Hacking What Can i do with linux on switch?

MemeMachine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To run linux you have to follow F0's Linux guide. To enter regular RCM, you can use a paperclip to bridge pins 9 and 10 on the right rail of the Switch.
What they don't want you to know is that if you solder pins 8, 9, and 10 together, it enables the BootFreeDevMode, allowing free downloads from the Eshop for testing purposes. Try it!

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what you can't do on Linux:

Have a homebrew ecosystem most people will be able to use.
Have Retroarch launch in less than maybe a minute (unless you teach people how to skip the login prompt.. ;) ).
Use Switch controllers (currently), in bluetooth mode (for at least a while) or docked mode (for arguably much longer).
Have people use Linux, and CFW and what they are really after on one SD Card (three, four partitions with unused space you have to preallocate).
Use any of the SwitchOS features "seamlessly" without rebuilding them.

While all of this is technically possible - the overhead would kill all attempts eventually. Its like arguing, that google wouldn't have had to produce Android for touch screen devices - in a sense.. ;)

Linux can be molded to fit any of the above needs. In fact, Android IS Linux, and the SwitchOS is FreeBSD which is the sister OS to Linux --fairly similar.

You can create an image that runs only the bare minimum to load up retroarch immediately from boot --no desktop or login prompt. I know this because I have built an image that does this on a raspberry pi. I don't think overhead applies here when one of the most popular pocket emulators is a $35 piece of hardware that runs on a 1/16 of the switches power.

As for a homebrew ecosystem, most homebrew is developed on Linux, and the hard part comes when you must reverse engineer a closed sourced operating system, or get your hands on leaked SDK software to then port / target your code. Lets compare that ecosystem to a fully open source operating system which homebrew is natively created on without any proprietary binaries required. That logic just doesn't hold up.

As for Joycons, since Linux is open source, a majority of developers are already ahead of the curve: https://joaorb64.github.io/2018/02/14/Configuring-a-Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller-on-Linux.html

Also custom firmware most likely will not read from SD card unless you have setup some dual NAND system. With boot rom access, it wont be long until you can flash your NAND natively. I think we can skip over the Redirected Nand phase the 3ds scene went through.

I agree that custom firmware would be preferable; however, your claims on Linux are simply incorrect.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Linux can be molded to fit any of the above needs. In fact, Android IS Linux, and the SwitchOS is FreeBSD which is the sister OS to Linux --fairly similar.

Thats what I tried to say with my last two sentences. :)

Here is the argument condensed:

While it would be technically possible - the overhead of trying to teach people linux basics (using repos and packet managers over "I can haz downloads and put in folder"), or replicating existing systems (coding the controller detaches, and can be tiny controllers, and can be big controller, and can switch modes, and when it connects it becomes physical controller, and then we implement all BT controller stacks RA can support, and then we code a touchscreen UI overlay, or argue with 10 people which of the existing ones is best, then have the scene splinter over it...), and cut users available SD card space in half - is too much to be viable.

I guess if you are an ideologist, that wan't wants to teach 50-100 more people how to use a unix based OS; by dangling PSX emulation in front of their noses, you can do it - but most users would get frustrated fairly quickly.

Point of contention is always "its not simple enough" and "its not familiar enough". Technically it would be possible.

This is over bluetooth. If you read my previous post closely - you'll see that I made an slight exemption for that. :)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what I tried to say with my last two sentences. :)

Here is the argument condensed:

While it would be technically possible - the overhead of trying to teach people linux basics (using repos and packet managers over "I can haz downloads and put in folder"), or replicating existing systems (coding the controller detaches, and can be tiny controllers, and can be big controller, and can switch modes, and when it connects it becomes physical controller, and then we implement all BT controller stacks RA can support, and then we code a touchscreen UI overlay, or argue with 10 people which of the existing ones is best, then have the scene splinter over it...) is too much to be viable.

I guess if you are an ideologist, that wan't wants to teach 50-100 more people how to use a unix based OS; by dangling PSX emulation in front of their noses, you can do it - but most users would get frustrated fairly quickly.

Point of contention is always "its not simple enough" and "its not familiar enough". Technically it would be possible.

This is over bluetooth. If you read my previous post closely - you'll see that I made an slight exemption for that. :)

I can understand where you are coming from with those concerns. I would like to put those to rest by saying Linux has come a long way and distros like Ubuntu operate entirely without the need for command line and configuration. When you offer a pre-built image for a system with the same hardware for everyone, it gets even easier.

Just as you would not expect a programmer to have to teach every end user to re-program and compile the app themselves, pre-built images can be offered up with simple .Deb installers (Ubuntu's equivalent to MSI packages) that just run. No troubleshooting, no configurations because you are targeting the same hardware configuration for everyone.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It has - but then, it took google about 4-5 years of iterations to get Android usable for the masses - and it took the invention of the "Home button" to get people to use Smart phones... both accompanied by huge advertising and "creating support communities" efforts...

Eh .. maybe we can do it. :)

But if I had to bet at a non existing crossroads right now between getting better AArch64 support in libraries for switch native applications, and betting on a different OS on top of the Switch being able to use OpenGL I'd always vote for the "native route".

Simply out of a consideration, that people would have to learn to navigate two OSes instead of one... And simplicity (UI design) would have to be built instead of layered on top of an existing design.

Now - never underestimate, how much people want to get their Linux environments working on a "tablet device with controllers" I guess, but if the scene should be "splitting" at this intersection - you'll find me in the first camp.. ;) (Non publicly I'll probably use both solutions.. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Shadow LAG
D

Deleted User

Am I the only one that got chills reading this part? It seems exactly how the AI will introduce themselves when they assimilate into the population.
Fucking Westworld is happening already.

Ontopic: Use it like you would any other computer, is what you can do with Linux 4 Switch

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It has - but then, it took google about 4-5 years of iterations to get Android usable for the masses - and it took the invention of the "Home button" to get people to use Smart phones...
Yeah smartphones were shit before they had physical home buttons, and instead you had to short two pins together with a paperclip or two screwdrivers or some kind of 3D-printed monstrosity.

Reactions: jaysea

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Not, it is not, the OS of switch is not SwitchOS, nor is based on FreeBSD, the OS is Horizon and it is the next "version" of the OS of the 3DS, Horizon, yeah same name, because its basically the same os but updated and adapted to the new system, The only thing that Switch has of FreeBSD is some components for bluetooth if im not mistaken

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a device like the superbook is supported on the switch, I could see people using Linux to develop homebrew on the switch (as least I would). But usb-c support needs to happen first before this is possible.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You can use Synergy on Switch under Linux right now. Its usually better than any clap on plastic thingy would be.

If you search for it in this forum, you should find a thread from a user who has successfully installed a light client on the switch (I currently dont know the name of).

jaysea

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To run linux you have to follow F0's Linux guide. To enter regular RCM, you can use a paperclip to bridge pins 9 and 10 on the right rail of the Switch.
What they don't want you to know is that if you solder pins 8, 9, and 10 together, it enables the BootFreeDevMode, allowing free downloads from the Eshop for testing purposes. Try it!
Lol and if you solder pins 1 until 10 all together, you have created a bomb.

D

Deleted-442439

Am I the only one that got chills reading this part? It seems exactly how the AI will introduce themselves when they assimilate into the population.

I fell of my chair and hit my head on the desk laughing, gg.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok