• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What do you think about that Van attack in Toronto?

Does this concern you much?

• Total voters
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I live 20-30 minutes away from where the incident happened. So yes, this affects me a lot.

Born in 1993 and as far as I'm aware women always had it easier than men.
Clearly you haven't educated yourself properly on this topic. Women did not have "it" easier than men; or actually, to be real, not everyone from any class, gender, race, religion, etc. has ever had "it" easier than other groups. There's countless examples that prove this. Women were not even recognized as people legally until the mid 1900s in Canada when they got the right to vote or even get a job. There's pay inequities today for sure against women. There's unresolved cases of missing and/or murdered indigenous women in Canada. 14 women were killed for being simply women in Montreal in the '80s. I can go on if you like.

I seriously hope you weren't serious in your comment because no - women were oppressed in the West (and still are) and continue to be oppressed in several different ways across the world.

Last edited by ComeTurismO,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If a man can be so heartless as to go and kill innocent people just because he is frustrated of his celibacy, what a lousy boyfriend he would have been anyway! I understand all women rejecting him in the first place. Now he can probably look forward to becoming some other guy's boyfriend in prison.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I live 20-30 minutes away from where the incident happened. So yes, this affects me a lot.

Clearly you haven't educated yourself properly on this topic. Women did not have "it" easier than men; or actually, to be real, not everyone from any class, gender, race, religion, etc. has ever had "it" easier than other groups. There's countless examples that prove this. Women were not even recognized as people legally until the mid 1900s in Canada when they got the right to vote or even get a job. There's pay inequities today for sure against women. There's unresolved cases of missing and/or murdered indigenous women in Canada. 14 women were killed for being simply women in Montreal in the '80s.

I seriously hope you weren't serious in your comment because no - women were oppressed in the West and continue to be oppressed in several different ways across the world.

Yes, It may be ""minor"" in the west but in places like the middle east women are abused on a terrible level.

Reactions: DarthDub

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should explain this differently, It's thanks to those people who despise of men that incels think women are terrible, but that doesn't mean what he did was right in any way. my apologies.
I mean... Again, that still doesn't make a difference in the long run, and doesn't change the fact that if that's the excuse that Incels are using, they're cherry-picking a very specific minority viewpoint that statistically speaking only significantly exists in hypothetical, at least in the West

Reactions: Xzi and ComeTurismO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, It may be ""minor"" in the west but in places like the middle east women are abused on a terrible level.
I made an error in my original post - thank you for helping me point that out. I meant to include that in my other comment. In the west there's still discrimination and clear forms of misogyny going on and for many it goes unnoticed. But I wouldn't necessarily call it 'minor'; it's very serious just as it is in other countries.

Last edited by ComeTurismO,

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
If a man can be so heartless as to go and kill innocent people just because he is frustrated of his celibacy, what a lousy boyfriend he would have been anyway! I understand all women rejecting him in the first place. Now he can probably look forward to becoming some other guy's boyfriend in prison.

Don't drop the soap.
I mean... Again, that still doesn't make a difference in the long run, and doesn't change the fact that if that's the excuse that Incels are using, they're cherry-picking a very specific minority viewpoint that statistically speaking only significantly exists in hypothetical, at least in the West

I've had a bad habit of explaining things in a manner that makes me look like a d!ck, it's a pathetic excuse but it's all i can say. nothing about incels are reasonable.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Agreed, I made an error in my original post - thank you for helping me point that out. I meant to include that in my other comment. In the west there's still discrimination and clear forms of misogyny going on and for many it goes unnoticed. But I wouldn't necessarily call it 'minor'; it's very serious just as it is in other countries.

I honestly agree on all levels with ye, and on a random note that pfp is god-like.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Between Not much and Not at all, really.
For me, "incel" or not, it doesn't mean a thing.
It is the same, people going "crazy" due to the society being sick.
Weird social expectations, a wrong sense of self-entitlement, and frustration due to their made up world not matching to reality, their expectations and entitlement not matching what they can really achieve.

I would look for some post of mine related to this and quote it.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird social expectations, a wrong sense of self-entitlement, and frustration due to not their made up world not matching to reality, their expectations and entitlement not matching what they can really achieve.

It worries me a whole lot because they've made a cult movement that clearly breeds guys that have enough malice in them over a combination of toxic masculinity and lack of physical contact that they're willing to kill to get attention

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It worries me a whole lot because they've made a cult movement that clearly breeds guys that have enough malice in them over a combination of toxic masculinity and lack of physical contact that they're willing to kill to get attention
Yeah, but it goes beyond that cult.
The problem is everywhere, self-entitlement permeates western society, and it leads to senseless behavior.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird social expectations, a wrong sense of self-entitlement, and frustration due to their made up world not matching to reality, their expectations and entitlement not matching what they can really achieve.

This is pretty much my take on stuff like this. I often think about what went wrong in the last couple of decades that led to all of this? I mean, damn, it just feels like the whole thing happened overnight. I know a lot of people attribute it to hard-leftist ideology, but it seems like that's just another symptom of the overall cause. Of course, big media doesn't help, the way it tries to put certain types of people in the spotlight. Apart from that, I also believe that high-density cities are a large part of the problem. It seems like the greater volume of depressed people come from metros, which is understandable. There's a lot more competition in those areas, and it seems like it's harder to get noticed, too. It's also places like those where people get caught up in the whole "rat-race" scenario, and then of course, there's a bigger disconnect from nature in those areas. It all adds up to a high-stress environment. I mean, humans are social creatures, true. But I don't think we're meant to be crammed into large, noisy crowds, which is part of the reason many lean more toward introversion. Being too introverted however, to the point where you only lock yourself in a room is very unhealthy, and often leads to resentment toward those who are more easily outspoken, and end up getting more out of life because of it.

But anyway, those are just my own thoughts.

Reactions: DarthDub

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I know a lot of people attribute it to hard-leftist ideology, but it seems like that's just another symptom of the overall cause.
Which is absolutely ridiculous, this country is not hard left by any stretch of the imagination. Otherwise Bernie Sanders would be president right now, and it's definitely not his supporters who are homicidal incels. "You made me do this" is a poor excuse, and one those types use all too often.

Last edited by Xzi,

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Women only have it "easier" around men whom "allow it". There's plenty of sexism, abuse, disparity, etc. left in the world — first world to third world.

On the topic at hand, these guys are idiots. There's someone for everyone unless they have serious problems. Starting a women hater's club won't help them in the least and taking it out on random individuals just shows how screwed up these guys are.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is absolutely ridiculous, this country is not hard left by any stretch of the imagination. Otherwise Bernie Sanders would be president right now, and it's definitely not his supporters who are homicidal incels. "You made me do this" is a poor excuse, and one those types use all too often.

Indeed. Incels generally tend to be in a sort of alt-right spectrum from what I understand. Like a sad, manic-depressed alt-rightist? I dunno. Whatever the circumstances of one's life and upbringing though, it is ultimately up to them to decide their actions. The whole "you made me do this" mentality is a pathetic excuse. And if they really are depressed, then it is their responsibility to seek help for that. I'm just trying to understand the the sort of "nature/nurture" aspect of the whole thing, as it were.

Last edited by Delerious,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Wow I never hearer of incels before. So basically they think better looking people rigged the system against them, and they want to take revenge on society.

They hate good looking men because they get all the chicks. They hate women for not dating them.

It’s genetics. Some are just better looking then others and get more benefits. That’s how life is. It’s not fair but no need to go on a killing rampage because you have less opportunities based on your looks. Try and develop others skills besides looks to increase your opportunities.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone think this issue could have been avoided If prostitution was made legal worldwide? If you can't do it normally at least be able to legally pay for it.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Women only have it "easier" around men whom "allow it". There's plenty of sexism, abuse, disparity, etc. left in the world — first world to third world.

On the topic at hand, these guys are idiots. There's someone for everyone unless they have serious problems. Starting a women hater's club won't help them in the least and taking it out on random individuals just shows how screwed up these guys are.
If they are female and black that’s like a double negative. Less opportunities for them.

If they are female, black and ugly then they even get more oppressed than just being black and female.

If they are female, black, ugly, and old then they have it very hard.

A female that’s black, ugly, old, lives in poor location, has genetics for poor intelligence, poor health, poor athleticism, is gay, comes from a poor home... then you’ll be at a disadvantage even worse then the others. It’s not fair that good looking black women will get hired over a person like this. There’s discrimination against ugly people.

Good looking people get payed more, more likely to be put in a higher position, more likely to be elected in office, people more likely to rate them trustworthy and likable. Ya because ugly people are less trust worthy right/s.

I think ugly people should start a peaceful protest, one that doesn’t involve killing people, and demand for equal opportunities in the work place. Ugly people aren’t inherently less trust worthy just because they are ugly. They should be treated with more dignity and respect.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised it took so long for this to become a regular occurring thing. I mean, you can get a truck to mow down a bunch of people, a lot easier and cheaper than a gun. I mean, you can rent a U-Haul for 20 bux, lol. Just wait until Ramadan, you'll probably see more of these attacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway