What is the game you invested the most money in?

tempy_thinker.png

As anybody that even vaguely follows games will know then most computer games cost money. How much money they cost can vary quite dramatically, even from person to person. For the industry is a very important topic as you will want to get the most money for your product, and different people have different "pain points" and understanding those will potentially see you make a lot more money than you otherwise might have.
This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss things to do with game design, aspects of play and other industry concepts. Today is Noctosphere's guest entry in the series.

Counting things like expansions, dlc, virtual currency, monthly payments, etc then what is the game you invested the most in?

Personally, I invested a lot in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
In total I invested over 400$ in the sims 4 over the years
I calculated, it's about 10$/month, which I think isn't that bad.

Previously we discussed times where people said gameplay styles would not work for a platform

Also under discussion are times you might have purchased a console for a single game, a large collection or peripherals or upgraded your PC again just for that one game. You might also want to compare it to games other than computer games, the obvious first start for many being collectible card games such as Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh and the Pokemon card game. Similarly have you waited for something to go on sale, hit the second hand market, get released as a gold/game of the year edition or something along those lines? Tiered pricing in games is also sort of on the way out, do you have any thoughts there?

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would guess Shenmue 2. I imported the UK version for Dreamcast, then bought the Xbox version, and now have the PS4 collection preordered.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is ingame purchases? If so i think i spent maybe in total 150€ on various mmos and mobile games in the last decade? I'm very stingy when it comes to cash shop stuff. I think i spent some on Digimon Masters Online/Final Fantasy XIV/Star Trek Online MMO wise. And mobile games maybe 10€ on puzzle and dragons and 5€ on Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That would probably be Lord of the Rings Online. Used to play that a lot back in the day. The lifetime subscription was $200, and I was had a regular subscription for a while before that. At like $40 every 3 months, it probably adds up to $400 or more.
I still play it sometimes. Now that you get free money for the in-game store from being VIP (after it went F2P the subscriptions give you extra perks instead of access to the game) I believe I've far more than gotten my moneys worth, having bought like 3 expansion packs using the free money and a ton of account wide upgrades and other stuff.

But I have spent a large chunk of money on Pokemon Go as well. I haven't kept track but it must be like $250 by now.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I suppose if we count subscriptions, then probably Runescape and WoW. Used to have a membership for Runescape in 2005-2007, and then bought another like 3-6 months a good 2-3 years ago. For WoW, I also had one around the same time, for the same time. About a year ago I bought a month, to screw around on official WoW, before I just moved back to using private servers whenever I needed to temporarily scratch the WoW itch.

Not counting subscriptions, then I'm not entirely sure TBH. Maybe the Souls series in general, I always buy the collectors editions for those games so I've easily spent the most on it as a whole there. But other than that I haven't really spent a ton of money on any one particular game, even counting buying a whole new platform for just one game (which I don't think I've ever done, perhaps excluding my Sega Saturn for Panzer Dragoon Saga ATM :lol:)

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Go, probably. Usually when I'm raiding with a group of friends and someone doesn't have a raid pass I'll float them a few bucks so they can continue raiding. Other than that, I don't have any games that require monthly fees or anything.

I did buy a lot of DLC for hyrule warriors, so that's probably second place.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$3,454.20 in total. I was really into CSGO at one point and that's the sum of the purchase prices on OPSkins, my marketplace purchases and my in-game purchases. (I'd usually throw away a fiver every now and again to open up a few cases.)

Thankfully I've stopped playing since and managed to sell all of my skins and make a bit of profit in the process. (Before the market crashed. Valve implemented a trade hold restriction which killed P2P trading.)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destiny 1 probably. While it's not entirely fair I did buy a PS4 to play it. Then a pre-order for the game. Then E3 had a Destiny/white PS4 bundle so I had to buy another one...
So that's $400 for a PlayStation 4 and then $60 for the game... X2. So $920 so far.
Then the DLC
Dark below $20
House of wolves $20
The taken king / special add-on stuff $40 + another $20
Rise of iron $30
Probably about 20 bucks to spend on silver dust to have custom emotes.

So that's another $150 for dlc and add-ons.

Last edited by BORTZ,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Xenoblade X, being the only WiiU game I've bought at full launch price (was that 60 €?)
If you count that I bought a console just for it, add 170 more €... though that was one month earlier, and of course I now have more games for it

Now, if the question was "what PC you've bought for 2 significant digits and have invested, or are planning to, more than 6x its price"...

---

If games you don't own count, then it's the Playboy pinball - though I've got matchs and replays maybe 30% of all paid plays

Last edited by Ryccardo,

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft, Bought two Pc versions, so my brother could play with me, Then bought the pe for Apple, then Android, and then the Amazon store, Then the wii u version,

that's $50(two pc versions), $20 for Mobile versions, $30 for Wii u version, $100

I think that's the most lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...