Trophies
Website
paulschembri.com.au
XP
Country
Australia
Blood Fetish said:
Paulieo said:
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2001/06/Wh...rs-Believe.aspx I took a quiz and this is what I got as my ideal religion and it fits all of my beliefs.
Doesn't that seem backwards to you? Take a quiz, and whichever religion matches your personality the best is the one which is "true"?

I'm not saying it's true I'm just saying that is what I would be if I had to label what I believe. It's not a quiz on your personality, it's a quiz based on what you already believe and then it's matched with what other religions believe. I think it's a good way to decide what you're religion is. If it doesn't match your personality you're gonna hate it and want nothing to do with it. This way it fits what you think and you enjoy it.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish: Well it certainly doesn't seem like the orthodox way (pardon the pun) but the paths to wisdom are many and variegated. Maybe he can find what is right for him by a quiz. It's not right for me, but who is to say it's not right for him?

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paulieo said:
Blood Fetish said:
Paulieo said:
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2001/06/Wh...rs-Believe.aspx I took a quiz and this is what I got as my ideal religion and it fits all of my beliefs.
Doesn't that seem backwards to you? Take a quiz, and whichever religion matches your personality the best is the one which is "true"?

I'm not saying it's true I'm just saying that is what I would be if I had to label what I believe. I think it's a good way to decide what you're religion is if it doesn't match your personality you're gonna hate it and want nothing to do with it. This way it fits what you think and you enjoy it.

There's religious personality tests?

Uh...I thought the reason for religion was to be closer to God/gods/higher power/yourself, not to take a personality test and see which --probably-- incorrect religion suits your interests.

None of this makes sense to me...

Paulieo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
paulschembri.com.au
XP
Country
Australia
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Blood Fetish: Well it certainly doesn't seem like the orthodox way (pardon the pun) but the paths to wisdom are many and variegated. Maybe he can find what is right for him by a quiz. It's not right for me, but who is to say it's not right for him?

I like you....that was the perfect response.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Magmorph said:
The God of the Bible gives the order to murder a number of times and even does it himself. I don't know very much about the God of the Quran.
To kill, not to murder. God created life, and it belongs to him, so it's logical that he has the right to take it away. Murder is not the same thing.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very well said PK. If there is a God watching over us all, then that would fall under the "The Lord Giveth and The Lord taketh away" clause.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Very well said PK. If there is a God watching over us all, then that would fall under the "The Lord Giveth and The Lord taketh away" clause.
Indeed, but note that this doesn't suggest that he is responsible for all deaths that occur.

To suggest that God taking away life is murder would be like you building a Lego house and then I come along afterwards and I tell you you aren't allowed to dismantle it. To supplement that, you dismantling that house is also not the only way it can be destroyed. Something else can come along and destroy it without your input.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I already went but some things appeared since last post.

antwill said:
Also: serious question here guys; why is scientology made fun of, but mormonism isn't? They're both as ridiculous as each other. Yet for some reason it seems to be the cool thing to mock people who believe in alien spirits, but when a religion is started by a con-man with equally ridiculous claims it's not?

EDIT: Thanks machomuu, for picking up on that error.

"Nobody is above the taking of the piss" and mormonism (ignoring Christian roots for a second) much like the others it is very fractured. Unless of course you mean in this thread in which case I am not sure- if needs be I am sure we can get a few people coming out firing with both barrels.

Re Atheism as a belief system (apologies for dragging this back up)- if indeed it is a belief structure can I have a word that describes someone having none as that seems like it would be pretty useful to have one.

Re qu'ran predicting scientific advancements (others remember it was compiled after Muhammad's death (arguably refined after that- some say reordered rather than something mirroring the bibles being written considerably after it all went down) and that was after a fair bit of conquest). This is an interesting line of logic alas my Arabic is very rusty (not to mention I focused more on Persian than the more useful dialects in this case) and as it is still in the original language unlike most bible related things (give or take it being an Abrahamic religion as well) so I shall have to bow out of pulling it apart on translation for now.
My chief concerns are that such things are like reading codes in books that might well have none (people finding substitution codes in Moby Dick being the usual example of choice), equally much of the ancient Greek body of scientific work (well known to have been kept and returned to Europe post dark ages and containing many ideas "ahead of their time" (although I might argue dark ages were something of a regression)) which predates Islam by a considerable amount would have been readily available not to mention improved upon by scholars of the time (of which there were many amazing ones around that time and place that ultimately laid the foundation of modern science) if not more so around the Hijra to say nothing of the fair bit contact with things more eastwards not to mention large tracts of science are predictive in nature or indeed a fairly good test of a theory/hypothesis- quantum mechanics and related disciplines do this a lot ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Gk_Ddhr0M and a lot of what people are looking to the LHC and the like to confirm or disprove), one of the early tests of evolution was that of the long tongued moth and orchids (got an orchids but the moth was not discovered for a while after that). Equally some of these might be subject to same thing that fells things like horoscopes- given a large enough sample and vague enough words/basic psychology you can net something and something is not necessarily prediction (thinking being- awesome you got something right but how could you fail to mention this though*).

*not necessarily calling it incorrect although it is not ideal but this is usually short circuited with "it was an example", to go back to Christian examples for a second the Lazarus and the rich man story.

QUOTE(Metalik @ Apr 9 2011, 09:13 PM) I'm Orthodox Christian
I am assuming by your flag/location you mean Russian orthodox (although there are many Slavic orthodox churches so I apologise if I am wrong here or indeed if you go in for the more general movement that could be called orthodoxy).

Acetic Orcein

Trophies
XP
Country
Sikh

As a major world religion it's interesting to see that most people have no idea what I'm talking about when I say I'm Sikh, and commonly default me to Hindu/Muslim lol.

That aside, I wish people would use common sense in combination with their religious beliefs. I mean being a good person should be universal for everyone... so I don't think that there can ever be a 'right religion'. I guess aslong as everyone has a set of morally good principles that they can believe in, then that's the best thing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Acetic Orcein said:
Sikh

As a major world religion it's interesting to see that most people have no idea what I'm talking about when I say I'm Sikh, and commonly default me to Hindu/Muslim lol.

That aside, I wish people would use common sense in combination with their religious beliefs. I mean being a good person should be universal for everyone... so I don't think that there can ever be a 'right religion'. I guess aslong as everyone has a set of morally good principles that they can believe in, then that's the best thing.

I must admit I have seen this too. I find it doubly amusing that there are probably fewer followers of Judaism yet "the man on the street" can probably tell you a fair bit about that.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
Paulieo said:
Isn't that pretty much how religion works these days? You pick and choose your rules and justify what you agree with.

Also, this video pretty much summarizes my views.
[youtube]HhGuXCuDb1U[/youtube]

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Magmorph said:
The God of the Bible gives the order to murder a number of times and even does it himself. I don't know very much about the God of the Quran.
To kill, not to murder. God created life, and it belongs to him, so it's logical that he has the right to take it away. Murder is not the same thing.
So going by your logic, its logical that you have the right to kill your own child because after you did create it?

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanas said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Magmorph said:
So going by your logic, its logical that you have the right to kill your own child because after you did create it?
No God created it...
lecture.gif
rofl.gif

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I advice everyone to make one of these, because its always better to be safe than sorry.

[youtube]c-mnxKtFhdY[/youtube]

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Tanas said:
I advice everyone to make one of these, because its always better to be safe than sorry.

[youtube]c-mnxKtFhdY[/youtube]

Or just build one of these already!
First_Amalgamated.jpg

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Indeed, but note that this doesn't suggest that he is responsible for all deaths that occur.

To suggest that God taking away life is murder would be like you building a Lego house and then I come along afterwards and I tell you you aren't allowed to dismantle it. To supplement that, you dismantling that house is also not the only way it can be destroyed. Something else can come along and destroy it without your input.
Well... it's KINDA different when you order a genocide don't you think?

"All these people are bad and deserve my hellfire that I created."

"But what about the babies?"

"HAHA what babies? The slaughter of innocent babes means nothing!"

Just reading the Bible, you soon find out that God is in fact a murderer.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tanas said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Magmorph said:

Of course not. Last time I checked I'm not God. How would that show respect to the person that gave me life in the first place? God created all life, and he has perfect reasoning, while I don't. The killing of my own child would be wrong as I'm not the life giver.

QUOTE(Uncle FEFL @ Apr 10 2011, 06:45 PM)
Just reading the Bible, you soon find out that God is in fact a murderer.
I have read it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...