When is pirating ok? (discussion)

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll resume my opinion on piracy with a few words: I don't care.
People can pirate all they want, it's not gonna hurt a huge company at all. Same goes for anti-piracy, it's just a temporary shield for the companies to sell a few more games, and it's not hurting pirates at all since within the week, the AP is broken anyway.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The whole thing with the "piracy doesn't hurt gaming" thing is a gigantic assumption that anyone who pirates a game wouldn't have bought it in the first place which is an absolute load of crap.

Regardless of how you look at it affecting the industry, you're still taking someone's hard earned work and playing it without a single dime going to them. Do people say the same on movies you pirate or music you pirate? In the end it's a similar situation: you taking someone's hard work, using it, and them not receiving any reward for their hard work.
if i am to quote it i must say that companies on their workers do earn a lot and pay a little ,when i was a cinema manager i worked 48-52h a week to earn a lousy month income of 1000euro and yet they were greedy enough to try and lower my salary to 800 euro ,so the system is using us ,drain us from our life for a low salary and what to say about the poor people that were below of me and worked for 600 euro per month for 45h a week.
well if they dont respect the human aspect companies what we can do ,feel pity if they loose some money?
i was receiving movies and believe me the earning only for the right to distribute them on cinemas was worth of the production.
in the end what is it for us for the base to live and die working.Yes i sometimes pirate in order to see the games if they worth and i like them i buy them used of course,and now they are trying to put an end to used games so what is for us to do ??

guyver2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The whole thing with the "piracy doesn't hurt gaming" thing is a gigantic assumption that anyone who pirates a game wouldn't have bought it in the first place which is an absolute load of crap.

Regardless of how you look at it affecting the industry, you're still taking someone's hard earned work and playing it without a single dime going to them. Do people say the same on movies you pirate or music you pirate? In the end it's a similar situation: you taking someone's hard work, using it, and them not receiving any reward for their hard work.

But by that standard, then buying used games are immoral.
oops my mistake. missed ur previous post nevemind

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
If they really wanted to kill piracy they would try harder to defend their systems from hackers and put in place better one owner systems to block 2nd hand purchases until then its up to me to assess the risk / benefit it has on my family as they aint ever d/led for me just ma kids , and i know how much it pisses me off to see all those games i bought for 40 - 50 quid a throw sit there gathering dust after the novelty wore off - so i selll them , and the more this cycle continues the less i buy the more i d/l.

guyver2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sry guys if this was a sensitive subject. I actually thought I was starting some type of intelligent debate.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It becomes legal when the copyright expires.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

In my mind it becomes be morally justifiable when the products are not obtainable under normal means anymore. You can go to your local game store, fire up steam, head to amazon, etc. and get a copy of Assassin's Creed III right now, so there's no need to pirate it in order to play it.

The problem is that the world isn't black and white. Just because there's people who would pirate instead of buying doesn't mean that the polar opposite of the original assumption is true.

Pirating a movie "damages the economy" about as much as going to your friend's house to watch it instead of buying your own does. In both cases you have chosen against sending the company money, while still experiencing the product (since, after all, you'd just pay them for the ability to experience it anyways, not to actually own a copy).

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used games hurt the industry as much as pirated games. Does this mean pirated games don't hurt the industry? No, it just means it hurts it just as much as used games. So the REAL question is, how evil is selling/buying used games? amiright? amiright? :lol:

guyver2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

In my mind it becomes be morally justifiable when the products are not obtainable under normal means anymore. You can go to your local game store, fire up steam, head to amazon, etc. and get a copy of Assassin's Creed III right now, so there's no need to pirate it in order to play it.

The problem is that the world isn't black and white. Just because there's people who would pirate instead of buying doesn't mean that the polar opposite of the original assumption is true.

Pirating a movie "damages the economy" about as much as going to your friend's house to watch it instead of buying your own does. In both cases you have chosen against sending the company money, while still experiencing the product (since, after all, you'd just pay them for the ability to experience it anyways, not to actually own a copy).

So true. They only ones that miss out is the owners, not the guys on the sets or production. All the small ppl are needed for the film industry to work. The only ones missing out are asshole film companies suing single mothers for over $2,000,000+ for downloading 2 shitty movies online. Yeah I have no pity for the rich personally. They'll do just fine.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
WAAAAAAY back in the day, when i was young and the Dinosaurs roamed freely across the land, Intellectual property was considered stolen....IF....You were making copies and SELLING it. Other wise it was sharing your product with others. We used to make each other cassette tapes of music we had and VCR tapes of movies that our friends had. There was no real fuss.
Then came the day... SONY screamed to the public that we,( the common people) did own what we bought but merely rent it from them. At first, the public said "That's Stupid." But now after years of constant yelling by the corporations that if you share then you are a thief. The public has been slowly persuaded that it's true.
I, for one say, it is not as big a deal as these companies make it out to be. Where i see it, most people don't want to bother with the technical mumbo jumbo and just pay for the product out right. I have had literally 100s of conversations with other parents who at first complain about the cost of DS games for their kids. I would then tell them about the R4 and how they could just get the Rom and install it on a micro SD.... Then they just say..."I'll just buy it."
I did not mean to make a rant, but i say it's alright and these companies are just brain washing you to think other wise. :glare:
Actually its more cheaper to pay 5$ for an R4 than almost 40$ for a DS cartridge.

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used games hurt the industry as much as pirated games. Does this mean pirated games don't hurt the industry? No, it just means it hurts it just as much as used games. So the REAL question is, how evil is selling/buying used games? amiright? amiright?

The real problem is that there are too many game companies out there making too many games for 60 dollars a pop, that they are taking each others business away from each other. They think if they make the new Halo that they'll be in free money.

ex. Kingdoms of amalur: reckoning. Made by Curt Shilling, the red sox baseball dude. He borrowed loads of money to make the game, but it just didn't sell. It wasn't unique enough, and his company went bankrupt and they defaulted on their loans. However, the game was really fun. I bought it when it first came out. Even though the game was really fun, there were just way too many other games that were coming out that it flopped.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Unfortunately, copyright never seems to expire. What I mean by that is, whenever mickey mouse seems to be getting close to expiring, copyright length seems to get extended by quite a bit. In other words, don't expect any copyright that was created after mickey mouse to ever become copyright free. Not in the US, anyway, and not with the current political structure.

Reactions: Rydian

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I think that it is funny those piracy-revolutionaries...
Ok, I think that capitalism is not ok, capitalism is immoral, etc, etc. But pirating a capitalist product is not a noble revoluticionary act at all. You will not become a new Che Guevara hacking and pirating stuff.

Piracy it is just a good way to save money and play crap things that you would never ever buy. There is no revolution on it.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I think that capitalism is not ok, capitalism is immoral, etc, etc. But pirating a capitalist product is not a noble revoluticionary act at all. You will not become a new Che Guevara hacking and pirating stuff.

Piracy it is just a good way to save money and play crap things that you would never ever buy. There is no revolution on it.

I agree! I cant believe how many morons there is on the internet. Trying to "blablabla" people to think its ok with piracy. Its never ok. But wether you care or not is the question!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real problem is that there are too many game companies out there making too many games for 60 dollars a pop, that they are taking each others business away from each other. They think if they make the new Halo that they'll be in free money.

ex. Kingdoms of amalur: reckoning. Made by Curt Shilling, the red sox baseball dude. He borrowed loads of money to make the game, but it just didn't sell. It wasn't unique enough, and his company went bankrupt and they defaulted on their loans. However, the game was really fun. I bought it when it first came out. Even though the game was really fun, there were just way too many other games that were coming out that it flopped.

Saying you pirate to stop the big mean corporations over a completely luxury product is the largest load of bullshit anyone can peddle.

It's a luxury, if you don't like the price don't play it. There's about a thousand other hobbies out there.

Also, implying Halo is a "free money" game. Halo 4 cost what, $60 million to make? Regardless of how you like it, the games have effort put into it. Like whether you like the games or not, I think it's pretty spiteful to say that they're not made with care. Good graphics, fun level design, fun multiplayer, and a great soundtrack. These aren't slapped together in a couple of months.

guyver2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Muito verdade amigo.
Very true

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

so you cant buy a $60 game so you steal it

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +1