• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

When will Mike Pence become the next US president?

When will Mike Pence become the next US president?

• In at most a month or two

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Between two and six months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After six months

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • He won't (Trump somehow manages to remain president)

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Comedy last option

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
While we don't have precedent of it happening after a lost election, we do have precedent of a criminal president resigning to be pardoned by the VP-turned-president.
The good news is that Mueller has a fail-safe set up through SDNY, so anybody that gets pardoned for blatant violations of federal law automatically gets referred to prosecution on the state level for equivalent charges. In that way he's got Trump completely boxed in. Mueller could also simply wait until the new administration is in place before bringing the charges at all, since you can't pardon people for future charges.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're saying that Pence shouldn't go to a lunch with Pelosi to discuss some matters of Congress
Why does it have to be lunch? Maybe he'd prefer to discuss congress matters in a meeting with her, in his office or something? Not wanting to go to lunch with another female, doesn't prevent him and her from discussing professional things. If Nancy wants to discuss things, there are other ways to do it. Eating alone is reserved for only him and his wife. :)
Those things literally sound like someone who is so "tempted" by a possible misconstrued date with a woman or a little alcohol and no chaperone that they really shouldn't be trusted to *ever* be alone.
Maybe he just doesn't want his wife to feel insecure? And doesn't want to risk making her feel that way. His wife and himself probably knows how people with power tend to sleep around, so he wants to her to feel rest assured.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't even want to think about the possible reasons why Mike Pence believes he can't have lunch with Nancy Pelosi without his wife present. Pelosi ain't hot. Does he have a need to choke old ladies to death or something? Like I said, I don't want to think about it, just another weird/creepy Pence mystery.

Actually...if he's gay then everything makes sense. The only time I've seen Republican politicians be this overly-committed to the 'devoted Christian anti-gay husband' act is when they're hooking up with dudes in airport bathrooms or some shit.

Last edited by Xzi,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think he's gay. Though, I'm sure there are a lot of gay men who wouldn't say no to older Race Bannon. :P

I just think he's really old fashion, and respects his wife enough to not want to make her feel insecure. If you're a female, there are countless ways to speak privately with Pence. In his office, her office, at congress, etc. There are tons of reasons to rag on Pence, but I don't think this should be one of them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The potential of Pence being the next president actually scares the shit out of me. Republicans didn't even like Trump and they still bent over backward for him, I am terrified to find out how far they will bend for someone they actually like.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does it have to be lunch? Maybe he'd prefer to discuss congress matters in a meeting with her, in his office or something? Not wanting to go to lunch with another female, doesn't prevent him and her from discussing professional things. If Nancy wants to discuss things, there are other ways to do it. Eating alone is reserved for only him and his wife. :)

As Xzi points out, it's just absolutely bizarre. If he's alone with Pelosi, is he allowed to have a tic tac*? Why would his wife care if it were Mr Congressman or Mrs Congressman? Sure, he can choose to not eat with anyone but his wife, but that's not the standard. He's perfectly allowed to eat lunch alone with McConnell.

Maybe he just doesn't want his wife to feel insecure? And doesn't want to risk making her feel that way. His wife and himself probably knows how people with power tend to sleep around, so he wants to her to feel rest assured.

Why would she feel insecure? Does he have a habit of sleeping around? Of lying? Of otherwise doing suspicious things? Oh, and plenty of people without power sleep around. If anything, it sounds like either he has a wife who has extreme jealousy issues or Pence is a neurotic who belittles his wife proposing she thinks he's just so irresistible that women are constantly throwing themselves at him.

I don't think he's gay.

I wouldn't presume it, but "people with power to sleep around [with all sorts of people]". If Pence is doing it just to help his insecure wife, he really should avoid being alone with anyone.

I just think he's really old fashion, and respects his wife enough to not want to make her feel insecure. If you're a female, there are countless ways to speak privately with Pence. In his office, her office, at congress, etc. There are tons of reasons to rag on Pence, but I don't think this should be one of them.

Except there's nothing "really old fashion" about having deep seated paranoia about eating lunch alone with a member of the opposite sex. It's obvious Pence's choice to do whatever to placate supposed fears of his wife, but trying to couch it as anything other than a very odd character quirk on Pence's part is disingenuous. Tying it with Billy Graham only makes the situation worse--the point was that so many men *were* having affairs, they started pushing rules to try to prevent "rumors" of affairs. Which is why the whole "maybe he's gay" keeps coming up, because like the Spartans the people who are so obsessed with sex to live their lives with very conditional rules may eventually look for loopholes. It's the same with Catholics and the joke of being a "technical virgin".

* I might as well make the joke. "Don't worry, honey. It technically wasn't lunch because Pelosi didn't swallow."

Last edited by kuwanger,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He just doesn't want to get MeToo'ed is all. Smart man tbh.
Do you recognize that this is sexist? If Pence can't talk to and work with another elected representative simply because he's "scared" that's she's a woman, he has no fucking business being the Vice President. He has no business managing a Burger King at that point. Women are everywhere beyond your front door, some might even say they're 50% of the population.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you recognize that this is sexist? If Pence can't talk to and work with another elected representative simply because he's "scared" that's she's a woman, he has no fucking business being the Vice President. He has no business managing a Burger King at that point. Women are everywhere beyond your front door, some might even say they're 50% of the population.

I would agree, but here is the problem if he were to get falsely accused his career is over. I could pull up dozens of stories of women making shit up, they getting found out that they were full of shit and NOTHING happing to them.

Again I don't agree with it but he is just trying to protect himself; more maybe is likes the geys who knows?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.