Which game did you pira... err file-shared that you ended up buying aftwerwards?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much 90% of all the games I've bought in the last 10 years or so I pirated beforehand to try. The remaining 10% are either cheap enough that I don't mind losing $5 if I don't like the game, are on a console that I don't have hacked and can't pirate, or are just games I already know I'd like and bought outright.

Virtually all of the games I buy are digital only, and Steam and Origin (oddly enough) are pretty much the only two major digital distribution stores across all platforms that actually allow straight forward refunds (albeit with limited terms), so losing out on $60 because the game I bought on XYZ was shitty doesn't hold well with me. So, I pirate to try, and if I like it I'll end up buying it. If not, then I saved $60 and I know to avoid XYZ game.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

lordpsycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
None, but I've bought sequels/remasters of games that I wouldn't have bought if I didn't pirate the prequel first
Uncharted Collection & 4, Disgaea 5, Crash Trilogy, Bayonetta 2, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Project Diva Future Tone, Corpse Party Blood Drive, Tales of Hearts, that Tomb Raider game that was on PS3 and PS4

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Harvest Moon - Back to Nature on the PSP. I have no idea why I started to play the game but I fell in love with the series since then.
Pokemon US/UM - While it is mostly a cash grab I did enjoy it enough to put over 100 hours into it so yeah 40 sure why not.

Many more but those two come to mind the most.

Reactions: QCLasky

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I hardly pirate outside console games anymore: it's too much hassle (on console's, it's more of a game to get it working than that I actually play any :P ). It also plays that now that I've got a job (and money), the games I want are way cheaper than when I didn't have enough money to buy everything. End result: I bought A LOT of games I pirated as a kid.

A very incomplete list:
-wolfenstein 3D
-Doom 1&2
-duke nukem 3D
-shadow warrior (the original)
-fallout 1&2*
-rollercoaster tycoon 1&2 (I even bought two of these bundles. Granted, my ex-girlfriend demolished a disc, but still...)
-Abe's Oddyssey & Exoddus
-Zelda skyward sword*
-xenoblade chronicles*
-Wave race (for gamecube)*
-Unreal
-Unreal Tournament (UT99)
-the incredible machine
-raptor: call of the shadows
-Clive Barker's Undying
-the secret of Monkey island 1&2
-GTA miami vice and san andreas
-Tsuro (yes...I pirated a freakin' two dollar android game. How's THAT for pirating for pirate's sake? :glare:)

I'm not sure if starcraft counts...it's free, now, so...? :unsure:

*these are boxed copies. And probably aren't even unwrapped yet

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For me was Dragon Age Origins. I liked the game so much I ended up buying the ultimate edition after completing it with elf mage. Then finished it 2 more times with Human Paladin and Dwarf.
Also Inside. I played it for like 1 hour and then I just had to purchase to support Playdead for such an amazing game.
Portal. That game is actually the reason why I began always buying all my games on PC ('cause... sales! I mean, Skyrim LE fot €7? The whole Half Life series, including spin offs, for less than €5? Life is Strange for €5? How could I say no to that?)

QCLasky

Pro cat lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
All pokemon games for DS and 3DS (didnt buy the Ultra yet).
Well the list is extensive.. :P a lot for Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS. (Physical and digital)

They all collecting dust on my shelf while I load those games by flashcard or some loader.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be all about piracy in my early twenties. Since then, I've actually gone through and purchased most of the games that I had previously pirated, granted many of them came down about 80% in price by that time. Some examples of of long-term game testing include:

Age of Mythology
Oblivion
Dungeon Siege 2
Every PSX FF game
Skyrim
Tales of Vesperia
C&C: Tiberian Sun

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be all about piracy in my early twenties. Since then, I've actually gone through and purchased most of the games that I had previously pirated, granted many of them came down about 80% in price by that time. Some examples of of long-term game testing include:

Age of Mythology
Oblivion
Dungeon Siege 2
Every PSX FF game
Skyrim
Tales of Vesperia
C&C: Tiberian Sun
Command and conquer was a great series. I bought them originally and i've since lost them and have to buy them again.

Reactions: Delerious

ladypoodle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too many to mention, but looking at my Steam library the most notable ones were:

- Skyrim (not the Special Edition)
- Killing Floor 2
- Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Toukiden 2
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Azure Striker Gunvolt
- Guacamelee
- La-Mulana
- Torchlight (both I and II)
- Castle Crashers
- Minecraft
- Rocket League