Hardware Why are people hating on Wii U?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sales in 2013 are terrible. I was reading recently in the UK, software are less than 200 000 this year. That's less than the damn Vita.
I meant, everyone thinks it's the worst selling console ever. Well, it's not.
It's doing quite okay considering its age but sure it's bad compared to most other consoles.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
''over priced''

Just my opinion, but a lot of people are going to compare specs with the other two so the price needs to be a lot lower to encourage sales. Additionally if you want most parents to swap out their existing Wiis then the price needs to be quite low.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Just my opinion, but a lot of people are going to compare specs with the other two so the price needs to be a lot lower to encourage sales. Additionally if you want most parents to swap out their existing Wiis then the price needs to be quite low.
That means more loss though.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Wii U is a new console with backwards compatible, like the Wii.

D

Deleted User

the reason i dont want to buy a wii u is simply because i dont like the games the games the wii u has . but man i really want the wi u version of ssb

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I would say the WiiU price is unattractive.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I agree on that. I said it before the Black System is not worth it. If it would be 300 with Nintendoland it would be fine. Just lower the price on both versions and once Mario is out the system will fly off shelves.

LeonardoFM

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First of all, good morning.

Well, I guess people hate it because while Sony with the PS4 has next gen graphics (the 3 latest generations of gamers are all about graphics omg graph graph graph!1), with the WiiU, Nintendoesn't.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, good morning.

Well, I guess people hate it because while Sony with the PS4 has next gen graphics (the 3 latest generations of gamers are all about graphics omg graph graph graph!1), with the WiiU, Nintendoesn't.

It's pretty hard not to get excited by this.

I'm old nerdy gamer who used to excited about the cut scenes (intros) in Ultima and the EOB games.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
How about the deluxe digital promotion ?

Not available in all countries (AFAIK, there is no german option so I am just pulling straws here) and in the end not worth it as well since al you get are five bucks for every fifty bucks you SEPERATELY buy. The promotion is a nice bonus but does not really equal the steep entry price for the system.

When I bought my WiiU I got it for cheap. I would never have paid the full price for what I got. If nintendo doesn't lower the price, then at least they should pack in another game, perhaps digitally. If every 300 System WiiU would come with Nintendoland installed and every 350 system would come with Nintendoland AND New Super Mario Bros/ZombiU/Game&Wario THEN it would be worth it.

Edit: it's very easy NOT to get excited for the video above. I have not seen ONE, NOT ONE "next gen" game I am even remotely interested in that is not available for the current gen also. NOT ONE!

Edit 2: It also doesn't help that the additional Hardware is expensive. 50 Bucks for a Classic Controller, 40 Bucks for ONE Wii Remote Plus if you don't own one and another 20 Bucks for a Nunchuck if you don't own one. Thats another 110 Bucks right there just to get enough controlers to play Nintendoland with a Friend...

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a Wii U recently and my copy of Pikmin 3 should be here today (It's nearly 3 in the morning where I am) and I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the system. The only things I don't like so far are the underwhelming selection of eShop games and the lack of Flash support in the browser which is kind of minor. I only even noticed it because I thought playing some online jigsaw puzzles on the gamepad while watching Netflix on the PS3 would be a fantastic idea but couldn't load anything on the site I go to because it's Flash-based. (Yes, I do rather enjoy my technology ;3)

Next-gen graphics are irrelevant to me at this point, and they have been since the 6th generation. I find stylized, fantastical art directions vastly more appealing than uber realism can ever hope to be so that PS4 trailer doesn't look even the slightest bit attractive. (That's not even mentioning the gameplay, story, and presentation would most likely bore me.) I thought Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker were beautiful games, I can't wait for Wind Waker HD (Favorite Zelda game of all time), and I'm certain there will be a beautifully-designed Kirby, Animal Crossing, and Zelda game for the system in the future. For now, Pikmin 3 has amazing visuals and "next gen" graphic whores be damned.

I will say, though, that even though the PS4 mandates a PS Plus account for multiplayer, the system's openness to independent developers is a huge selling point to me and I wish Nintendo would adopt such philosophies. I think I play far more indie games than the conventionally developed and published variety.

Reactions: Duo8

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well, currently the Wii U just came out so although it's the first next gen and is more powerful than current gen it also has fewer "gaemz" than current gen and is more expensive.

The current potential customers fall in 3 categories:
1. Already have PS3 and/or 360 so none of the multi-plats are gonna make them buy the console.
2. Non-gamer with no gaming hardware or casual gamer with a Wii who realizes they don't really use their current Wii enough to get something else.
3. Poor gamer (like myself) who could only afford a Wii last gen and doesn't have enough money yet this gen to get the cheapest of next gen.

Current existing customers either really liked the few exclusives so far or used to fall in category #3 and just finally came across some cash.

(All Nintendo fanboys either fall in #3 or are current customers)

When the rest of next gen starts (basically, when this gen's finally over)
we'll have to see what happens. At that point again Nintendo will have the budget console on the market. This probably won't spell the same advantage in the casual gaming market that the Wii had because of the reason I mentioned in #2 but there may still be many that will choose the cheaper option when presented with the competition at 400 and 500. With a year's head start, too, we'll have to see how the selection of available titles compares when the other consoles come out end of this year. Hey, it seemed to have worked for the "underpowered" PS2 in it's day as well.

The MAIN problem that the Wii U faces, though, is that the average consumer doesn't even know what it is. To the untrained eye, that console hiding behind the huge controller on the box could just be a horizontal family Wii and the logo doesn't seem to say "Wii U", it says "Wii [insert screen-shaped icon here]" which makes it look just like a new Wii accessory so when people bend down to take a look at the price tag of this new Wii controller and see that it costs several times what the Wii console, itself, does ... they just say "forget it".

Reactions: PityOnU

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
People don't hate the Wii U. Well, except for fanbois of other consoles and trolls...

People just don't care about it yet, because it doesn't have many quality games at the moment.

Reactions: Duo8

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When compared to other consoles on the market, the price does seem pretty high (dropping it $50 would make it a pretty smart buy), but you have to consider you are getting the tablet as well as the console, so the cost is understandable.

My prediction is that once the really good first party titles come out later this year, sales will skyrocket. Just look at how well Animal Crossing did on the 3DS - and that's just one game. Donkey Kong and Mario are coming for WiiU, and look great. I'm really excited for them.

I actually bought a WiiU recently because I figured I'd get one while they are cheap because there is no way the prices are going to go anywhere but up from here on out.

What it comes down to is that, based on the last generation, the other two consoles will get more attention when it comes to "hardcore" AAA titles, so younger, more involved gamers will probably go for those. For me, and for many others who are older, buying a new console when most of the AAA titles end up coming to PC anyway seems a little silly.

The WiiU is the only next gen console that has really fantastic exclusives that offer experiences you can't find anywhere else, which allows me to justify the cost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: