Hacking Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well well well. Did someone steal some attention from them? Are the spotlight not on them anymore? And now the kids are angry. SHOCKING.

Reactions: vpd

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Still... It was there for 4 hardware revisions. And providing you had one of the hardware revisions it was future proof.

Try JTAGing a Phatty on Dash >9199.
I wish you the best of luck!

Spoiler: you won't succeed as it is patched in software.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Try JTAGing a Phatty on Dash >9199.
I wish you the best of luck!

Spoiler: you won't succeed as it is patched in software.
Correct, I'm just stating that a jtaged Xbox 360 was future proof and could be updated. So a modded switch has the potential to be in the same league as that or even better RGH.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Correct, I'm just stating that a jtaged Xbox 360 was future proof and could be updated. So a modded switch has the potential to be in the same league as that or even better RGH.

You didn't.
You said that it was fixed in a hardware revision.
Whilst it clearly isn't.

Any 360 above 7371 can't be JTAGged due to MS closing JTAG access.

RGH is the only software unpatchable future proof hack for the 360.

D

Deleted-355425

Wouldnt argue with the masked av dood on 360 modding, youre gonna lose.

Reactions: DinohScene

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I remember my first time JTAGing a 360, I didn't even use the jtag port. I just removed the nand and programmed it from my infectus...

...or at least I think I did. It has been so long that I forget the process of jtagging a 360.

Reactions: brickmii82

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reminder for all
Future proof as it pertains to hacking. You got in with enough hardware access at such a point (usually early in the boot sequence) that no software update will block it as something is burned in silicon and nothing the hardware maker can change will bother it -- the efuses people have spoken of are a field changeable essentially one time programmable bit and thus can gate off things. You might update your firmware/kernel and do all the fun with timings people were speaking about, stick a bunch of obfuscated checks to make things harder but at that point it is a delaying tactic and has no bearing on being future proof or not.
It is possible to have a future proof software hack, it is possible to have a not so future proof hardware hack.
The hardware maker having to make a whole new revision to block the hack still has the former count as future proof for those devices it applies to. Nobody expects a hack to last for any and all new hardware revisions, that would be silly. Theoretically it is possible if the new hardware has to retain some kind of backwards compatibility with things that can't be replaced out in the field (no dev is going to replace everybody's game carts and game DVDs) and whitelisting is not possible.

The only chances for any kind of debate here on the definition are
1) When a device has been abandoned by its maker. Get a hack that works then and it will work presumably forever as the device maker is not going to do anything about it. Even then there will probably be a bunch of words around it like "as the device has been abandoned it is effectively future proof". Barring something very radical this is not going to apply here.
2) Where you might need a second stage hack/chain of hacks or have said secondary hacks punted to hardware. For instance get the imaginary boot section keys such that you can make a valid one. Initial exploits can be run from the browser or something but later ones after some patching will see you need a hardware flasher.
3) Restoration hacks that are unique to the device. Your boot section above is locked to the console. Dump an older exploitable one for your console and keep it, new one gets which blocks some exploit flashed by hardware makers and you just revert to your saved one. Anybody that did not have keys before is hosed/waiting on new exploits but now and for as long as you retain your saved one you are good.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry... the virtue signaling "homebrew devs" will be reverse engineering the TX product and selling the code to Chinese cloners 6-12 months after it releases like they always do. Oh, sorry. Should have used a spoiler tag.

Last edited by xiaNaix,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, that's probably because of "mu piracy", but the team itself never talked about that, they only talked about CFW.
https://twitter.com/qlutoo/status/948297208922824710
https://twitter.com/naehrwert/status/948290055747096577
implying piracy because of modding is something new
This will be a piracy device. Don't pretend in anyway it isn't only way they can profit. Now I will say, that the Homebrew launcher will probably eventually lead to piracy as well.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Xecuter Coolrunner powered RGH 360 and I still have my old X3 powered OG Xbox...

The OG box has the Xecuter replacement front panel too... do t get that sort of lcd goodness from a cfw...
Team Xecuter have been a sleeping giant in the Modding world since the 360 died, I have been waiting patiently for their return...

D

Deleted User

This is just petty jealousy. Xecuter created a solution that works on all firmwares, not a stupid broken specific one with battery issues, and its infinitely more capable than crappy userland homebrew.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: vpd

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This id just petty jealousy. Xecuter created a solution that works on all firmwares, not a stupid broken specific one with battery issues, and its infinitely more capable than crappy userland homebrew.

I wouldn't call it crappy, but rather, "limited" on a specific set of firmware, of which there is a very small % of users. Monopolistic homebrew is just aggravating.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call it crappy, but rather, "limited" on a specific set of firmware, of which there is a very small % of users. Monopolistic homebrew is just aggravating.
Whats even more aggravating is when all these devs announce all the cool shit that they can do but decide that they are never going to release it for once stupid reason or another.

D

Deleted-355425

Don't worry... the virtue signaling "homebrew devs" will be reverse engineering the TX product and selling the code to Chinese cloners 6-12 months after it releases like they always do. Oh, sorry. Should have used a spoiler tag.

You can make a lot of money in 6 - 12 months lol.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats even more aggravating is when all these devs announce all the cool shit that they can do but decide that they are never going to release it for once stupid reason or another.
Or tell you to update to an unsupported firmware, after they show you all the cool stuff.

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be because they tried bolstering a homebrew solution that wouldn't result in piracy and now we got bystanders freaking out over "ZOMG FREE GAMZ screw these other guys!" further reinforcing the stereotype that modding = piracy. Not that I'm denying the main draw of modding is piracy, kinda like how the main draw of Smash hacks is to make it like Melee so you can play as Fox/Marth on FD with no items, but the community and modders like to pretend otherwise.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk