Will Facebook Go Down for This?

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I found in comparison GBATemp is more fun and honestly a much better place to be than facebook with all the reports and stuff about getting bullied on facebook and so forth, the only problem I see is facebook and not forums like GBATemp.

Ah, but the user generated content on GBATemp is actually worth reading.
People really need to understand that they have full control over the content they see and create on Facebook. If someone is annoying you, block them, hide their content. Simple. If you only want to see content worth reading, filter your news feed, done.

Saying that content on Facebook isn't worth reading is the same as saying your friends aren't worth talking to. It's also the same as saying that GBATemp is boring and not worth reading. The topics we discuss here can easily be talked about on Facebook, except between your friends as opposed to random anonymous strangers on the internet. Facebook isn't at all limited to talking about your personal life. You're free to discuss whatever the hell you want. I've had plenty of debates myself on Facebook over topics like games, anime and even politics. It all depends on who your friends are, and if they're interesting people.
Somehow I get the feeling you completely disregarded other factors that play into the problems with facebook that doesn't affect forum sites like GBATemp.

Again my friends aren't on facebook so when I have to talk to them its either in person or by email and ignoring will just have them calling me which I find annoying, I have never once said GBATemp sucks and is boring because I find has a better community. I actually find that has become the problem because being open on the internet is a bad thing since the people in real life friends or not can then see the online stuff you written and react to it when they meet you offline and being anonymous stops that cause they don't know who you are. I don't see why people can hate whatever they want but somehow not hating and not being on facebook is like something strange and stupid, y'know some people want to be anonymous and have some privacy on the net and some people don't.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Facebook going down for a false rumor? If hell freezes over first, maybe, but otherwise the odds aren't too good.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda wish facebook would shut down. It just sucks so many people in and makes meeting new people and social experiences less exciting. Of course shutting down facebook wouldn't really be a solution, a new social networking site would take its place almost immediately (I'd bet on Google+). So in reality, it just doesn't matter or make a difference if it sticks around or not, there will always be something else.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I didn't use Facebook much, it does help me keep up with people I didn't see much.
So,completely shutting down, wouldn't be a good thing even with some issues around it.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Somehow I get the feeling you completely disregarded other factors that play into the problems with facebook that doesn't affect forum sites like GBATemp.

Again my friends aren't on facebook so when I have to talk to them its either in person or by email and ignoring will just have them calling me which I find annoying, I have never once said GBATemp sucks and is boring because I find has a better community. I actually find that has become the problem because being open on the internet is a bad thing since the people in real life friends or not can then see the online stuff you written and react to it when they meet you offline and being anonymous stops that cause they don't know who you are. I don't see why people can hate whatever they want but somehow not hating and not being on facebook is like something strange and stupid, y'know some people want to be anonymous and have some privacy on the net and some people don't.
You can still use both types of communication depending on what you want to talk about. I still don't see any reason to hate or insult social networks. They're just offering a service to make your life easier. That's about it. Just because some people use social networks poorly, does not mean that the service itself is useless. It's like claiming that the newbies asking about flashcards running 3DS roms reflect the average user on GBATemp.
Just because you like social networking doesn't mean everyone will and people have a right to voice that they hate it because obviously they have their own reasons which I did state why I hate being on any social networking site and that usually involves removing the anonymous-ness of the internet that I actually enjoy and or all the bad things that has occurred because of it like cyber bullying and making all the shit you did as a teenager public. A phone makes life easier, I mean I can't see where I would be without my phone but I been living perfectly fine without facebook or social media for years and I don't see how that is going to change anything soon.

Again you try and use an example that just doesn't work, alot of people don't really understand about console hacking and so forth so of course they want to ask to know about it. I mean they can be a gamer for years but is very new to console hacking so they would be really unsure about these things and ask to find out which is harmless, the crap that has happened to people who use social media however isn't as harmless. I'm aware that news and so forth exaggerate about social media being bad but people do get bullied even more after using social media to escape from their real life because they might/are being bullied and it is a serious problem. I don't see this on forums because there is usually a topic and people just stick to that topic plus you are anonymous so no one really knows who they are unless they specify so.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
People are free to hate whatever, except it really should be for valid reasons. If you prefer to be anonymous, that's fine, but it's still not a reason to insult those who use the service or to insult the service itself. Like I said much earlier, a lot of other people seem to be hating the service because it's gotten so big.

Perhaps the second example is indeed poor. The point I'm trying to bring across is that a small subset of people does not reflect the entire community and never will.
Its amazing that even when I provided valid reasons you instantly dismiss them. I don't insult the people who are on facebook, some of my friends are on facebook and they're still my friends who I enjoy hanging out with but I have every right to insult the service if I deem the service to do more harm than good and just because you personally like the service doesn't mean I can't insult it also why does it matter if I insult facebook if you are just someone using the service and not the owner. If I hate something because it has a big fanbase then I must really hate gaming, forums and pretty much everything.

Depends on how you view that small subset of people, sure out of that 1 billion people not all 1 billion are getting bullied but chances are there are quite a lot out there that are and thats something that needs to be addressed as its becoming a big issue and unfortunately I don't see it being addressed in any social media at all and the whole "block them and it'll go away" is honestly shit advice cause honestly we all know that you don't have to directly attack someone to bully them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The problem is you haven't provided valid reasons. You've made rambling insults. Your main initial complaint revolves around the people on your friendslist, you don't like seeing their personal bullshit. That's fine, take them off your list and the bullshit goes away. Facebook is not generating the bullshit, your friends are.

What have your other complaints been? Can you actually list them? Like this, let me show you.

• Cats.
  • Have fur which can cause a mess when they shed.
  • Can misbehave and bite/scratch.
  • Are loud.
  • Some people are allergic to cats.

See that? That's a list of reasons why somebody might not like cats. Those are valid reasons.

Now, try that with why you dislike facebook. Give me a list.

Reactions: 5 people

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay. No problem.
  • The bullying and results caused from it
  • Removing privacy as the shit you did as a teenager can catch up with you later in life
  • Useless status updates
  • Distraction, I mean it seems a little stupid to be talking to someone and they have a need to check their status
  • You get looked down upon for not having one also sometimes getting called anti social
  • Ruin friend/relaionships, I saw this happen to a friend of mine
This isn't a reason but I don't see the point of being on a site that has no actual topic/goal/subject apart from telling the world how you are and what new stuff has happened to you or around you. I mean a site like GBATemp is for gaming and gaming related topics but facebook is for, I feel i'm at a loss to actually determine what it actually for and for everything I see I can do on facebook I can easily do on deviantART and I rarely even use those so I hardly see why people think facebook so awesome and why I suddenly have to be on it just because I exist.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Okay. No problem.
  • 1. The bullying and results caused from it
  • 2. Removing privacy as the shit you did as a teenager can catch up with you later in life
  • 3. Useless status updates
  • 4. Distraction, I mean it seems a little stupid to be talking to someone and they have a need to check their status
  • 5. You get looked down upon for not having one also sometimes getting called anti social
  • 6. Ruin friend/relaionships, I saw this happen to a friend of mine
1. Stop choosing your friends so poorly.
2. You decide what you post. Think it'll bite you in the balls later in life? Don't post it...
3. -consult 1 + 2-
4. Rephrase. Your point is nowhere to be found.
5. Low self esteem?
6. How? You posted that you're in a relationship and facebook was like, NOPE! Again consult 1 + 2.

Everything you can say bad about facebook or most other social sites are subjective.

Social sites give you the freedom, you gotta make the rules..

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Reactions: 1 person

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for Facebook being shit, Facebook doesn't create any content, that content comes from the people you have as friends. If Facebook is shit, boring and unfunny, your friends are shit, boring and unfunny.
No facebook is shit, boring and unfunny because nothing actually happens apart from people telling you new useless things that has happened in their life like "today I ate a banana and it was awesome". Social media is just there for people to try and get some attention and if those sites were a tenth as interesting as GBATemp or dA then it would actually be worth something to be on it.
You realize you just said that your friends are shit,boring and unfunny right.
All my friends post hillarious shit and even more hillarious pictures so I love facebook.
You do relieze i;m not even on facebook and neither are my friends but I met people who are on it and they're shit, boring and unfunny and the only reason they are on facebook is because they somehow don't have enough attention in real life. The best I have apart from GBATemp is a MonsterGirl Unlimited account but I never posted anything.
So you've never been on facebook so you just assume people on it say things like today I ate a banana.
And everyone that has a facebook is shit boring and unfunny.
Your facebook experience is decided by you and thats all I'm saying.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt28087226/ lmao