Hacking Will Xenoblade 2 cartridge update my Switch from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2?

Picartman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was just wondering if purchasing a Xenoblade 2 cartridge ending in 000 will update my Switch to no later than 3.0.2? I'm on 3.0.1 and I don't want to be forced to update to the latest just to play this game. I have no update pending (cleared it in maintenance mode) and it's not connected to the internet.

I've searched various threads and only saw that Xeno requires 3.0.2, but I haven't found specific information on it only updating the Switch up to 3.0.2 and not beyond.

Appreciate any help/info, thanks.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I recall, there isn't really a difference between 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 or even 3.0.1 and 4.1.0, as they'll get hax at the same time. I would tell you to update to 4.1, but 5.0 just came out.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I recall, there isn't really a difference between 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 or even 3.0.1 and 4.1.0, as they'll get hax at the same time. I would tell you to update to 4.1, but 5.0 just came out.
correct currently 3.0.2 and 4.1.0 are the same when it comes do homebrew

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Worst time possible to advice an online update...
With 5.0.0 out updating will very likely push you back half a year or more regarding HB let alone CFW of any kind

Picartman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer your question no there is no update on the cartridge. As stated on the firmware requirements sticky.

I went back and read the sticky again and missed that line. So unfortunately it seems that none of the games on this 4.0.2 list come with the update:
  • Don't knock twice
  • Golf Story
  • Ittle Dew 2+
  • Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
  • Overcooked: Special edition
  • Pankapu
  • Project Octopath Traveler (DEMO)
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Steam World Digg 2
  • Stardew Valley
  • SUPERBEAT: XONiC
  • Time Recoil
  • Sonic Mania
  • Xenoblade 2
So I'm assuming I'm out of luck :(

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just realized that 5.0 is live. Is there a cartridge that comes with the 3.0.2 update on it?
As 5.0.0 just came out you can literally play any cartridge game that was available until yesterday and the "worst" that could happen is that it takes you to 4.1 and as the others here said there's no difference between 3.0.1 and 4.1 for homebrew.

Picartman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As 5.0.0 just came out you can literally play any cartridge game that was available until yesterday and the "worst" that could happen is that it takes you to 4.1 and as the others here said there's no difference between 3.0.1 and 4.1 for homebrew.

How will it only take me to 4.1 though? Isn't 5.0.0 live and now Nintendo would force me to update to the latest if I attempt to play any 3.0.2+ games?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How will it only take me to 4.1 though? Isn't 5.0.0 live and now Nintendo would force me to update to the latest if I attempt to play any 3.0.2+ games?
Only if you turn on the internet which you shouldn't.
Cartridge games "don't know" anything about 5.0.0 as it wasn't released when those games were produced.

Varon12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
system isn't on 3.0.2 its on 3.0.1 which is the issue and with no game cartridges holding an update past 3.0.1 atm he has no way to get to a higher firmware other than 5.0.0 . I have the same issue It's lame however I'm sure if we are patient a game card revision may have what we need or when HB and CFW are released a method for spoofing higher firmware may be made available.
Safest option is as always not to update and be patient a solution will appear eventually.

Last edited by Varon12,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If thats the case - and thats news to me, the Switch would be a console with a forced online component. Where you'd have to go online - and update to the latest firmware, and probably agree to the latest license agreement, to be able to play your purchased games.

In which case what you purchased isnt a game, but an unsigned contract - with some data attached. Congrats.

edit: As expected, this is FUD:
system isn't on 3.0.2 its on 3.0.1 which is the issue and with no game cartridges holding an update past 3.0.1 atm he has no way to get to a higher firmware other than 5.0.0 . I have the same issue It's lame however I'm sure if we are patient a game card revision may have what we need or when HB and CFW are released a method for spoofing higher firmware may be made available.
Safest option is as always not to update and be patient a solution will appear eventually.

According to this list -
https://gbatemp.net/threads/cartridge-information-collection.492311/

... there are games out there that ship with the 3.0.2 and the 4.0.1 update. Not many - but they are out there. I also would highly doubt, that Nintendo ships games that won't contain the update to update the system to the minimum version required to play them.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Resaec

Varon12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Newer games require newer firmwares this isn't a new concept. As stated tho game card revisions do happen there just doesn't happen to be many confirmed cases for firmwares above 3.0.1 .
Supposedly the only option stated there is Mario Odyssey 001 for a 3.0.2 update however it doesn't state that 000 has the 3.0.1 update on the card so take the information with a grain of salt as they have alot of holes still to fill in.
Most First party nintendo games do contain updates the information just isn't documented yet.
That page also literally says in red
:!: DO NOT USE THIS THREAD AS ADVICE FOR UPDATING! :!: The data is not save as it is supplied by users, not Nintendo itself or other hard evidence sources.

Last edited by Varon12,
Reactions: Resaec

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
FUD.

We have a consensus, that people should use Pokken 000 to update to 3.0.0 - if they use any currently available cartridge (excluding Kirby) to try to update from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 or 4.1.0 - while staying offline, whats the worst that could happen? The desired update not being on the module/cartridge?

Also - while I'm all for not trusting the public opinion ( ;) ) on sensitive matters, we have a theoretical safeguard built in in lists like the one above - and that is, that there are obvious revision numbers to certain games - that obviously correlate with newer firmwareupdates being shipped on those modules.

So people would have literally have to mistype a three figures number, with the intention to report it correctly - for a newer revision of that game, in the listed thread above. Thats unlikely to be the case.

In further news:

- Nintendo never will confirm the firmware updates that are baked on to modules, we have always try to do this in a group effort.

and

- For the purpose of this thread - every game released, still should come with the minimum system update required to play it - without going online. With revisions (reprints) of a game this firmware might change - so be careful.

and

- The list above reports games (/revisions), that ship with both 3.0.2 and 4.1.0 on the cartridge.

Last edited by notimp,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tho Xenoblade 2 current game update 1.3.0 has alot of new ingame content that you will be missing out even if it requires a 2nd playthrough to unlock newer blades. The numerous fixes are also more convenient to the player, but its free content is why it matters
So with that in mind its too late to update the game without updating the system. Either Way the story is enjoyable

Last edited by MasterJ360,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The list above also lists game updates on cartridge revisions, if available. That said, the statement above is generally correct. Game updates are tied to the most recent system update - on the digital distribution level (no updates for you, if you dont also accept the most recent system update - there might be a minor grace period between two "recent" firmwares - but in general, this holds true).

Also - this isn't new - the same goes for the current Zalda DLCs f.e.

Which brings us to the concept of games as a service, and how fun it is, to pay for stuff thats just a promise of content delivery, and for games that need a day one patch to function properly. What this means for game preservation efforts, for lending out your games, for shared experiences, or certain gamestates, that are only available at certain patch levels...

Try to discuss that with people that mostly only care to get more content for their "favorite game". Witch they are now enticed to play for an even longer period, because publishers took to micro transactions and micro DLC to exploit the "if people are very invested in a "world", they will be willing to pay for the duration they can visit - and for a new thing to experience". Ask for your parents credit card now - its the future (according to: Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, ...)

Last edited by notimp,

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so take the information with a grain of salt as they have alot of holes still to fill in.
100% right. It is hard to find those informations as no one posts in the thread made for this kind of information.
Most users just start a new thread asking "What version is game X" 10 times a day, at some point I can't get to read them all for new info :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway