Hacking Working Bailkal Linux Kernels for PS4pros on 6.72 and distros

mallgrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Where's the source code for Kernel 5.3.7 Gentoo gc41cdf12d-dirty?
Google for ps4gentoo ps4-linux-5.3.7 should give you the repo, cant post link cause new user.

Also has anyone tried having the ps4 on just idling in the background while the monitor/tv is off?
After a few minutes theres no connection. SSH also tells me that theres no display connected from xrandr. Only way for the display to reconnect is by switching tty's, not even replugging the hdmi cable helps.

No clue if the issue comes from the patched amd drivers or if its the kernel which could be the issue.
Using 5.3.18-ITmania.

Arko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Argh. The TV I'm using is an oldy limited RGB and there's no option to switch linux to do limited RGB. (on a full rgb monitor everything is fine)

Anyone has any idea, I checked those xandr things and nothing worked for Fedora 32 with 4.14/4.2/5.3 kernels.

jaum20

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can't get steam to run on Fedora 32. I'm using the ITmania Tron edition image. The app just won't open after update

szczuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does anyone successfully installed Linux on Slim? 2016A? I've booted default 2gb payload (with bzImage size: 6 603 824 bytes), installed everything but after that when i try to boot desktop (via exec start-psxitarch.sh) it stays black forever with led blinking on usb hdd.

Reactions: RY0M43CH1Z3N

vowps4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone successfully installed Linux on Slim? 2016A? I've booted default 2gb payload (with bzImage size: 6 603 824 bytes), installed everything but after that when i try to boot desktop (via exec start-psxitarch.sh) it stays black forever with led blinking on usb hdd.
Which bz image and instamfs are you using for the slim?

xTheRussianx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CUH-7215b model here.

So, using the dirty kernel+baikal patch, I can boot into and install the ITmania Catjaro build.

No Bluetooth, Wifi, or ethernet.

So I've been doing obsessive research.

It looks like 7215b's use the AW-CB319, which is I'm assuming, the combined BT/Wifi module.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong:

According to the PS4 Devwiki, that's a MediaTek MT7667BSN.

From what I'm reading, the MT76 driver set started getting included in kernel 5.4

I managed to find a similar MT7668 driver for another Mediatek chip, that seems to have some generic drivers for the family, after some heavy digging, but have no idea how to compile it on Manjaro, seeing as I have no connectivity to pull Linux headers to even start. Don't even know if it'll work; worth a shot though.

Optionally, I know there's an uncompiled 5.4.2 PS4 Gentoo kernel on the github, but it's for belizes and thus doesn't have the baikal patches - but, might be able to kick our modules on if the MT76 driver family's baked into it.

Speculation, but may be worth looking into. Especially since the AW-CB319 is also used in some Slims.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220105-031414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220105-031414_Chrome.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by xTheRussianx,

bbqtool

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
CUH-7215b model here.

So, using the dirty kernel+baikal patch, I can boot into and install the ITmania Catjaro build.

It looks like 7215b's use the AW-CB319, which is I'm assuming, the combined BT/Wifi module.

From what I'm reading, the MT76 driver set started getting included in kernel 5.4

I managed to find a similar MT7668 driver for another Mediatek chip, that seems to have some generic drivers for the family, after some heavy digging, but have no idea how to compile it on Manjaro, seeing as I have no connectivity to pull Linux headers to even start. Don't even know if it'll work; worth a shot though.

Optionally, I know there's an uncompiled 5.4.2 PS4 Gentoo kernel on the github, but it's for belizes and thus doesn't have the baikal patches - but, might be able to kick our modules on if the MT76 driver family's baked into it.

Speculation, but may be worth looking into. Especially since the AW-CB319 is also used in some Slims.

Any luck doing this? https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-permanent-wifi-in-linux-catjaro-fedora-32.581116/

Dorlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CUH-7215b model here.

I got my hopes up there for a moment, until I noticed your model number was 5b and not 6b. Ive sadly got a ps4 pro with no Wifi/BT/Ethernet.

Also noticing you mentioned compiling a driver? I'm actually in need of assistance on that same thing. I ended up buying a USB network adapter from Amazon the other day, hoping it would solve my network issues. Sadly, the drivers on the installation cd are not compiled. And being on gentoo I'm encountering errors when trying to compile the driver.

To further compound the issue, I can't get a straight answer from anyone, on why there's not a compiled, working kernel (wifi/bt/ether) for a CUH 7216b model Pro.

I believe I only need assiatance compiling this driver and eliminating the bugs along the way, and I'll have internet access on gentoo. (it's the only one ive had real success running on 9.00)

Honestly; I'm flying blind here, and i'm hoping for a miricle.

Attachments

• IMG_20220106_125230.jpg
    IMG_20220106_125230.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86

qgerman2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
you could try loading the distro on your pc by switching root from a liveusb, then install the drivers that way

i know that you can do it on arch with arch-chroot, idk about gentoo, so you could try with psxitarch or just regular archlinux, which also works on ps4

xTheRussianx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my hopes up there for a moment, until I noticed your model number was 5b and not 6b. Ive sadly got a ps4 pro with no Wifi/BT/Ethernet.

Also noticing you mentioned compiling a driver? I'm actually in need of assistance on that same thing. I ended up buying a USB network adapter from Amazon the other day, hoping it would solve my network issues. Sadly, the drivers on the installation cd are not compiled. And being on gentoo I'm encountering errors when trying to compile the driver.

To further compound the issue, I can't get a straight answer from anyone, on why there's not a compiled, working kernel (wifi/bt/ether) for a CUH 7216b model Pro.

I believe I only need assiatance compiling this driver and eliminating the bugs along the way, and I'll have internet access on gentoo. (it's the only one ive had real success running on 9.00)

Honestly; I'm flying blind here, and i'm hoping for a miricle.
So, you and I are both in the same boat. 5b and 6b are using the same AW-CB319.

It's a very obscure Mediatek driver we need to get our hands on to get the Wlan and BT module working.

Luckily, hope may be on the horizon. Nazky, the dev who wrote the new payloads, mentioned something in his github answering an issue about the 7215b and 6b Pros, about a new kernel that may fix some things, coming soon.

szczuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Which bz image and instamfs are you using for the slim?

This one:
https://www48.zippyshare.com/v/MWlOLI1e/file.html

But as i said - after initial setup in cli - i have black screen.

I have managed to succesfully install and run Linux on my Slim 2016A :D
Using Fedora from MODDED WARFARE tutorial:

And this bzImage with Initramfs:
https://www53.zippyshare.com/v/QLZZhnoo/file.html

I've had to reconnect HDMI few times, first right after booting Linux payload to see command line setup, second after installation to see login screen.

temp-user1195

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bzImage with Initramfs to ps4 slim CUH-2214B please download?
I was able to use YouTuber Echo Stretch's video as a guide to install Modded Warfare's distro on CUH-2215B. Currently I'm not able to connect to WiFi. He's got a GitHub linked on the description that's very helpful. If I figure that out, I'll edit the comment.

xTheRussianx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so, I got tired of waiting for a new kernel and spent the last 6 days learning how to compile one for baikal PS4 Pro's.
Got USB dongle support working - which is a start.
Need 5 posts to be able to post links. Will post in a few.

Should work for 7215B, 7216B any anything else that uses a Baikal chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk