Would you kill your own meat?

Would you/are you capable of raising and butchering your own meat?

• Yes

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had to raise, slaughter and butcher your own meat (chicken, beef, etc) would you still eat meat?

I don't think I could do it myself, would probably just subsist on eggs and tofu

What do you guys think?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we lived without the technology and guidance we do today and ease of supermarket use our mindset would be totally different. In survival situations we do crazy things we wouldn't think to do other wise. We know where our foods come from how they're made and produced. Even the things we see as pets could turn into a meal if desperate enough. Always thought it was amazing how far we've came from caveman life style to being able to grab a bag of food from your car. Some cultures or tribes still hunt monkeys, baboon whatever you can think of.

Civilization is just advanced enough (city folk and what not) to know how to live a little sophisticated the things that always give us energy has life as well. Personally I'd do what I have to go survive. Honestly wouldn't mind the mountain man life style.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no, i'd start with 2 chickens and they'd be too cute and i'd end up with 2000 chickens because i couldn't dare kill even one for meat :sad:
Assuming one is a cockerel and inbreeding is not an issue then chickens are brutal little things, basically dinosaurs, and cockerels will fight to the death/serious injury and statistically you would be having more*. Female chickens are no better and if one gets injured it will be pecked to death by the others, including if bleeding a bit from an egg lay (which happens a notable amount of the time) should you not get there in time and isolate it to recover.

*male chicks get chucked in the meat grinder. Video, many others exist including them sexing them in the first place (easier said than done in some cases)

Anyway yes always my way to kill it, cook it and give it a nibble. I might appreciate a hand with butchery of something I don't know (most things are fairly obvious but there might be a convention that is not necessarily the same one I would pick intuitively) but that is a different matter. Wild or raised not and issue either, though I will note even historically people would swap animals to dodge issues with attachment.

Reactions: cearp

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If we lived without the technology and guidance we do today and ease of supermarket use our mindset would be totally different. In survival situations we do crazy things we wouldn't think to do other wise. We know where our foods come from how they're made and produced. Even the things we see as pets could turn into a meal if desperate enough. Always thought it was amazing how far we've came from caveman life style to being able to grab a bag of food from your car. Some cultures or tribes still hunt monkeys, baboon whatever you can think of.

Civilization is just advanced enough (city folk and what not) to know how to live a little sophisticated the things that always give us energy has life as well. Personally I'd do what I have to go survive. Honestly wouldn't mind the mountain man life style.
Was about to post something similar as reply. Will do it anyway in form of a gaming reference "Illusion of Gaia" or "Illusion of Time" (SNES)

Fish1.jpg Fish2.jpg FIsh3.jpg
Fish4.jpg Fish5.jpg Fish6.jpg
Fish7.jpg

If you prefer to full version, I took the screenshots form → [YouTube]
===========

I might look like a boring scene for a video game, but it pretty much sums up the topic. In desperation (survival) mode, humans will do most likely anything. It needs a lot of will power to slowly starve to death "because I prefer to be vegan and not kill animals"

Reactions: cearp

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If I had to raise it? No.
I still remember the chicken we had for a couple days (was bought live to make a traditional dish called "Arroz de Cavidela"), after my grandfather killed the chicken I got pretty upset and refused to eat the chicken (eventually I did have to).

If it was a wild animal, like, hunting wild hares and so on, sure, IF, I really needed. Raising though, nope, I'd become too attached to them.

Reactions: x65943

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have killed my own meat before, but never something I've raised. I imagine it would be hard on me at first, but I would get used to it. Most farmers I know try to maintain a sense of detachment from the animals raised for slaughter. Of the farmers I know, if they get attached to one and have to slaughter it themselves for any personal meat (as opposed to loading them onto trucks and shipping them to a slaughterhouse), they always make sure to do so with a strange sense of respect. Sometimes this does not work out, and the farmer's attempt to keep themselves emotionally detached from livestock becomes too tough, even for someone who does this for a living. When you bottle-feed an animal from birth and it recognizes you as its father or mother, it squeals in joy when it sees you, among other signs of affection. Usually these are the ones I see being kept by livestock owners I know, breaking their own code and keeping them "separate" from the rest. They live more or less like pets and die of old age.

Reactions: Blavla

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...