Wow..My brother found a black 3DS

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm not sure if anyone could possibly misunderstand a post so thoroughly.

The first line was satirical summary of the views flying around the thread.
The second was pure sarcasm.

You managed to take both as my heartfelt views. Long live text based communication.

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I am shocked by the amount of replies..I've never had a topic with this many replies before. Okay let me get right to it.

I talked with my brother asked him where he found it, he found it at a park he told me. Also I called Nintendo this morning to see if there was anything I could do about it and all they could tell me was they could check the serial to see if it's been registered but they couldn't give me any information.

What I'm gonna do with my brother is put up some fliers at the park where he lost it. I don't really trust cops when it comes to issues like these as I feel if it's handed in come a month later I'll get told some BS story that it's been picked up when it probably really hasn't been.

Also the park is in NYC so I'll have to go there when I get some extra money since it's kind of out of my way and will place fliers stating that they can call to claim it they must know what game was in it, or the serial number. I will not allow multiple calls (Then people will just keep calling and trying to guess, and be an ass) and I won't allow blocked numbers as well.

Sorry if this issue has upset anybody.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
xxteargodxx said:
Wow I am shocked by the amount of replies..I've never had a topic with this many replies before. Okay let me get right to it.

I talked with my brother asked him where he found it, he found it at a park he told me. Also I called Nintendo this morning to see if there was anything I could do about it and all they could tell me was they could check the serial to see if it's been registered but they couldn't give me any information.

What I'm gonna do with my brother is put up some fliers at the park where he lost it. I don't really trust cops when it comes to issues like these as I feel if it's handed in come a month later I'll get told some BS story that it's been picked up when it probably really hasn't been.

Also the park is in NYC so I'll have to go there when I get some extra money since it's kind of out of my way and will place fliers stating that they can call to claim it they must know what game was in it, or the serial number. I will not allow multiple calls (Then people will just keep calling and trying to guess, and be an ass) and I won't allow blocked numbers as well.

Sorry if this issue has upset anybody.
Good man. Tell us if anything comes back on it. Protip: don't put the colour on the lost sign. Guessing the colour of the system and the game together will be harder.

Also jalaneme little late. No lockers in public NYC parks last i checked.

Edit: OP, don't feel bad about people's clashing opinions. We were quarreling among ourselves about general values, not talking about you.

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So let me get this Straight Your going to spend your money now and use your time to attempt to return the 3ds? Very admirable, foolish if you ask me, but feel free to do so.

To clear my view for you all In this world you have Good luck and you have bad, You might feel good if u return the 3ds, but your still not going to have a 3ds. I would myself if i was going your route Expect the person who "owns" it to be their 3ds to Pay me for my expenses in finding them and for my time involved, just because you found something as trivial and cheap as a 3ds.

The effort i would make? I would post a advertisement on a free classifieds site like Craigslist if you need to assuage your moral compass. My time has value and that's the extent i would give to this.

While your hearts in the right place, and i applaud that your not going to find yourself a better person tomorrow for your effort, you will still be whoever you are just less a 3ds.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Jakob95 said:
WAIT. Check the 3DS browser and see if he put his email in there or something.

It was on stock 1.0.fgasdf U firmware and had never even accessed the eshop. You can be sure they never used the browser.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
mori123 said:
So let me get this Straight Your going to spend your money now and use your time to attempt to return the 3ds? Very admirable, foolish if you ask me, but feel free to do so.

To clear my view for you all In this world you have Good luck and you have bad, You might feel good if u return the 3ds, but your still not going to have a 3ds. I would myself if i was going your route Expect the person who "owns" it to be their 3ds to Pay me for my expenses in finding them and for my time involved, just because you found something as trivial and cheap as a 3ds.

The effort i would make? I would post a advertisement on a free classifieds site like Craigslist if you need to assuage your moral compass. My time has value and that's the extent i would give to this.

While your hearts in the right place, and i applaud that your not going to find yourself a better person tomorrow for your effort, you will still be whoever you are just less a 3ds.
If we could expect everyone else in the world to pay us for every act of kindness we do for them, I could make a fortune holding doors for people. There are some things you just do without expecting anything in return.

And you're wrong. If he had kept it, he would wake up the next morning as the unabashed owner of stolen property, convincing himself that such things are commonplace and acceptable as you seem to have already. A poorer person.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
KingVamp said:
It is funny how "everyone" assume the worse in the op...
I have had so much tech stolen from me, if OP says he found a 3DS and is keeping it, I know precisely how the person who actually owns it feels.

Don't think I assumed the worst in OP, just didn't condone his initial actions.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
KingVamp said:
It is funny how "everyone" assume the worse in the op...
I have had so much tech stolen from me, if OP says he found a 3DS and is keeping it, I know precisely how the person who actually owns it feels.

Don't think I assumed the worst in OP, just didn't condone his initial actions.
Not you.

Some that were like "he kept it because he didn't reply yet"...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ya know... Quite honestly... These threads talking about finding lost objects and then laying claim to it, there are just so many... Well you know what? Don't consider yourself lucky.. or in this case your brother. It isn't yours... I mean his. It's not right to claim something you know belongs to someone else. This world is full of idiots, and those who lay claim to something that valuable because someone lost it... I have as much respect for them as I would if they took it right from the kids hands...

Yea, I understand that nothing may have been done. Boasting about something like this.. I don't know. It can't really be taken in a positive manner. Now if he were to have said that he tried to find the real owner or something of the sort.. Fine. The reward is his... Whatever. It's not the kid's fault for losing it entirely. (Betting you it was a kid.) As a kid you tend to do stuff like this on a daily basis.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Mchief298 said:
Ya know... Quite honestly... These threads talking about finding lost objects and then laying claim to it, there are just so many... Well you know what? Don't consider yourself lucky.. or in this case your brother. It isn't yours... I mean his. It's not right to claim something you know belongs to someone else. This world is full of idiots, and those who lay claim to something that valuable because someone lost it... I have as much respect for them as I would if they took it right from the kids hands...

Yea, I understand that nothing may have been done. Boasting about something like this.. I don't know. It can't really be taken in a positive manner. Now if he were to have said that he tried to find the real owner or something of the sort.. Fine. The reward is his... Whatever. It's not the kid's fault for losing it entirely. (Betting you it was a kid.) As a kid you tend to do stuff like this on a daily basis.
You skipped the part a few hours ago were OP said he's putting up fliers about it in the park where it was found, and requiring anyone calling to have identifying details about the system.

crystal107

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Midna, I love you
smile.gif

haha
If you were a man around my city, and you're not underaged, I'd totally dig you.

Some people here make me sick... excessive selfishness is a disease of the modern world. I'm just 24, but it's everywhere.

OP - you did the right thing, try to find as many details in the 3DS that only the owner would tell, a flier around the park would be best - since it is very likely the kid will get back there. Also do not tell the details to a person who guessed it wrong, they will just tell someone else to call and say them - wish all greedy people would die (extreme, huh?) would be a much better world - 3DS won't give you happiness, and not any piece of electronic, being descent will achieve a lot more.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
crystal107 said:
wish all greedy people would die (extreme, huh?) would be a much better world
don't kill me
ohnoes.png

also, have you seen posters about someone losing his 3DS?
if you want something back, make an effort to find it.
don't always expect that the person who found it will return it. like what some of you said, there are a lot of greedy bastards out there.

there was a time when i lost my flash disk, someone said he thinks he knows who did it, but warned me the place was dangerous. idc, i was determined to get it back. and i did, but did nothing to the kid who stole it. i just wanted my flash disk back.

if you lost it, then it's because of recklessness, the more you should put an effort in finding it rather than cry about it.

that's my two cents about this goddamn "owner is very unfortunate you should return it" thing.
you just give too much pity to the owner.

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Augusta said:
Thesolcity said:
Copying a game = Stealing now?
unsure.gif

How is Piracy not stealing?
Piracy = Stealing.

Not only are you stealing from the people who make the game, you are denying them profit by putting their hard earned work online for free. Have you ever heard of copyright?

Thesolcity said:
So if I buy a game and copy it, I'm stealing? That's not how it works.

Hpw exactly does this relate to the discussion?
Regardless, Who gave you the permission to copy the game?
Why are you even copying the game if you own it in the first place? To save your lens? That's the funniest excuse I hear these days.

QUOTE(Thesolcity @ Oct 6 2011, 03:42 AM)
Even if you're talking about piracy, its a grey area for "stealing".

Piracy is Black and White.
Piracy is Stealing. It's not a grey area at all I don't know who told you that.

As for this discussion, I'm not an Atheist but anyone who is telling OP what he should and shouldn't do because it's wrong/right have no place to say anything. What is Right and Wrong in an Atheistic Worldview?

OP, make an effort to return it. What does this teach your brother if he thinks he can just 'keep' anything he 'finds'? Think about the long haul.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh don't do that. Just don't.

All moral values across the board are based on one simple, universal thing. I think them Christians would call it the golden rule, but all almost other cultures have a variation on it.

I don't want to be stolen from, so I do not steal.
I do not want to be lied to, so I do not lie.
I do not ant to be hurt or killed, so I do not hurt or kill.
I would want my 3DS back if I had lost it, so I will return a 3DS if I ever find one lost.

If you want to get cynical, you could say that it all boils down to selfishness, I guess. But atheistic world or not, morals are real and do apply.

As for your Piracy = Stealing bit, black and white as you say, that's rubbish too. You assume that if I hadn't pirated Professor Layton, I would have bought it. That's garbage. if I hadn't pirated Professor Layton, I never would have played Professor Layton and Nintendo/LEVEL-5 would get exactly the same money from me anyway. In fact, now that I've been introduced to Layton, I fully intend to purchase all upcoming Layton games. Now the devs are getting more money because of piracy. Is your mind broken yet?

As for the rest of the garbage in the quote box, I don't know what you're on about. I payed 30 dollars for this copy of Tetris. If I want to have two backup copies, I will make two backup copies. I don't need permission.

-----------------------------

Thanks @crystal107
wink2.gif

crystal107

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Midna said:
Oh don't do that. Just don't.

All moral values across the board are based on one simple, universal thing. I think them Christians would call it the golden rule, but all almost other cultures have a variation on it.

I don't want to be stolen from, so I do not steal.
I do not want to be lied to, so I do not lie.
I do not ant to be hurt or killed, so I do not hurt or kill.
I would want my 3DS back if I had lost it, so I will return a 3DS if I ever find one lost.

If you want to get cynical, you could say that it all boils down to selfishness, I guess. But atheistic world or not, morals are real and do apply.

As for your Piracy = Stealing bit, black and white as you say, that's rubbish too. You assume that if I hadn't pirated Professor Layton, I would have bought it. That's garbage. if I hadn't pirated Professor Layton, I never would have played Professor Layton and Nintendo/LEVEL-5 would get exactly the same money from me anyway. In fact, now that I've been introduced to Layton, I fully intend to purchase all upcoming Layton games. Now the devs are getting more money because of piracy. Is your mind broken yet?

As for the rest of the garbage in the quote box, I don't know what you're on about. I payed 30 dollars for this copy of Tetris. If I want to have two backup copies, I will make two backup copies. I don't need permission.

-----------------------------

Thanks @crystal107
wink2.gif

Funny, I did the same. If I didn't get to pirate professor layton, I would have never bought the original. so piracy does not equal stealing , if the game is good enough, you'll want to own the real copy, DS was highly pirated yet nintendo saw LOTS of sales, I bet they earned a lot more than their unhacked 3DS *grins* also, if the company makes shovelware and no one buys it, not our fault really.

And as you said, there is the basic moral of "Dont do to others what u dont want to be done to you" - pretty simple and straight forward, no religion involved, just basic good human behavior, if you would be really sad if someone did "X" to you, it is very likely someone else will be sad if you did "X" to them. I can already see how some people would post "No, but I'd be so happy if someone found my 3DS and kept it to himself." lol. Anyways, there's nothing to argue here really, you can't make people decent, they have to become ones themselves, some of them will find excuses to be indecent, and some will be blunt and proud they are losers "oh man, you will just lose a 3DS if you do that!", so really no point in this thread, only thing it is helpful for is render which people I won't want as friends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: :tpi: