Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Kicks it up a Notch with Gears of War and Shadow Complex

yANjKOx.png

As Microsoft announced during the last E3, they are in the process of making the Xbox One console compatible with 360 games. This was a process that they initially thought was impossible, or at least unlikely. However, since the announcement around two dozen 360 games are available to Xbox Preview users.

Many of the available games aren’t ones that will blow your mind although it does include the blockbuster title Mass Effect as well as the classic Rare games Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. All three of those games, and in fact most compatible games, are available on other consoles. This makes the backwards compatibility less impressive than first implied.

That being said, today Microsoft is taking it to the next level by adding another major Microsoft exclusive title to the mix, Gears of War. They are adding the Xbox Live arcade game Shadow Complex as well.

In addition to those games, today Microsoft announced that they have plans to bring the entire Gears of War franchise to the Xbox One for free backwards compatibility as long as you play the upcoming Gears of War: Ultimate Edition before the end of the year. This includes:
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War Judgement
Microsoft plans on ultimately making hundreds of 360 games backwards compatible in the future and it seems like they are finally starting to show that it is an actual possibility.

:arrow: Larry Hryb's Twitter

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a good start and a good way to get one up on the PS4. With mediocre first party titles and every other decent game is available on ps4 or PC, they needed a way to even the tide.

I think they're a fair way off though. Some backwards compatibility doesn't make up for their mediocre library of games.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
It's a good start and a good way to get one up on the PS4. With mediocre first party titles and every other decent game is available on ps4 or PC, they needed a way to even the tide.

I think they're a fair way off though. Some backwards compatibility doesn't make up for their mediocre library of games.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. They're certainly doing their best to play catch up right now. I'm a bit disappointed because during the announcement it appeared that almost every game should work. Then they informed us that nope... Only a few titles. That being said, I would say that getting 5 Gears of War games for $40, which is the cost of the ultimate edition, is a pretty good bargain for those who haven't played the series. So I have to give them kudos for that at least.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With Xbox 360 prices at an all-time low I couldn't care less, but it's a nice feature for those who want to have one machine hooked up at a time and those who traded in their 360'ties and kept their games (for whatever reason). Still, I won't be getting an XBO before Halo 5 comes out - that's one game that's worth getting a system for.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I hate this underlining of "free". You have to own the game. So it is not free. I have never heard someone saying all gamecube games on the Wii are for free.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I hate this underlining of "free". You have to own the game. So it is not free. I have never heard someone saying all gamecube games on the Wii are for free.
You get a free digital download of the game, the XBO is not natively compatible with the 360 or its discs, unlike the Wii which was running the games like a Gamecube. The disc is only used for verification afaik.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Comparing Wii U's library to Xbox One we can see that XO has a better catalogue of games when speaking in quantity, because the Wii U only has very few of them while the majority are shovelware crap. Problem with Xbox One is that its multiplatform ports aren't as good as PS4's but still playable.

Or like someone saying Club Nintendo points are free when they had to pay for them, and sometimes the full price which could've gotten them a year of Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Plus instead.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Comparing Wii U's library to Xbox One we can see that XO has a better catalogue of games when speaking in quantity, because the Wii U only has very few of them while the majority are shovelware crap. Problem with Xbox One is that its multiplatform ports aren't as good as PS4's but still playable.

Or like someone saying Club Nintendo points are free when they had to pay for them, and sometimes the full price which could've gotten them a year of Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Plus instead.

At least the Wii U's first party games are actually GOOD.

Reactions: loco365

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
And as a Nintendo fanboy I'll once again agree with you. But at the same time, it's subjective.
Except in this case the games are literally free. You pay for the Ultimate edition and then you get access to the 4 other games. Unless you want to be technical and say that in that instance each game costs $8.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Except in this case the games are literally free. You pay for the Ultimate edition and then you get access to the 4 other games. Unless you want to be technical and say that in that instance each game costs $8.
I meant the twitter post.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
And as a Nintendo fanboy I'll once again agree with you. But at the same time, it's subjective.

I don't think it's even subjective. I can't find a single first party Xbone exclusive title that's worth a damn. Sure it's got forza, Halo (which is the master chief collection - remasters don't count) and some crappy kinect games. It's got the odd japanese gem that nobody who owns an Xbone will likely play, but that's it really. Some on rail shooters as well for some reason that are exclusive.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it's even subjective. I can't find a single first party Xbone exclusive title that's worth a damn. Sure it's got forza, Halo (which is the master chief collection - remasters don't count) and some crappy kinect games. It's got the odd japanese gem that nobody who owns an Xbone will likely play, but that's it really. Some on rail shooters as well for some reason that are exclusive.
'Scuse me sunshine but it IS subjective... Racing fan here, and nothing comes close to Forza Horizon 2 (yes I've got and love Driveclub on my PS4, but there's no contest, plus it's like comparing apples and oranges anyway) - it's without shadow of a doubt the best racing game I've played this generation. You don't give a damn about that game - fair enough, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.
It's still subjective though. ;)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

The XO version looks really nice but way too dark.

A couple of them. Not all. So lower down that god damn fanboy tone.

- Mario Kart 8
- Mario 3D World
- Smash Bros.
- Bayonetta 2
- Wonderful 101
- Sonic Lost World
- Splatoon
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Pikmin 3
- Captain Toad
- Zelda Wind Waker HD (but it's just an HD remake)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
'Scuse me sunshine but it IS subjective... Racing fan here, and nothing comes close to Forza Horizon 2 (yes I've got and love Driveclub on my PS4, but there's no contest, plus it's like comparing apples and oranges anyway) - it's without shadow of a doubt the best racing game I've played this generation. You don't give a damn about that game - fair enough, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.
It's still subjective though. ;)

My annoyance with Xbox One is that it's so fricking big, but if Microsoft ever releases a slim version I'd definitely buy one for its exclusives that I'm interested:

1. Crackdown (coming soon)
  2. Cuphead (coming soon)
  3. Dead Rising 3
  4. Fable Legends (coming soon)
  5. Forza Horizon 2 (yes the three Forza games 'cause I too love racing games)
  6. Forza MotorSport 5
  7. Forza MotorSport 6 (coming soon)
  8. Halo 5
  9. Killer Instinct
  10. Project Spark
  11. Quantum Break (coming soon)
  12. Rare Replay Collection (coming soon)
  13. Recore (coming soon)
  14. Ryse: Son of Rome
  15. Scalebound (coming soon)
  16. Sea of Thieves (coming soon)
  17. Sunset Overdrive
Still not sure about Halo MCC and GoW UE, though.

Reactions: mightymuffy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll stand by what I said.
In that case you go on ahead and stand in the misguided mob, for all you're praising is a bunch of Mario games. First-party is all fun and dandy, but you're missing out on the majority of top AAA games this generation, much like Wii owners missed out on the majority of games last generation. Want to know some "actual games" that are on the Xbox One? How about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Evolve, Titanfall, Dying Light, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Batman: Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Far Cy 4 or Destiny? Enjoy your first-party CPR, enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN