GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the big boys have come to town and let loose the dogs. Not sure if other folks were experiencing this before this morning, but for me it was the first time. They didn't just break ad blockers for their site, they broke ad blocking period, regardless of what site(s) you visit.

Discuss...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So, the big boys have come to town and let loose the dogs. Not sure if other folks were experiencing this before this morning, but for me it was the first time. They didn't just break ad blockers for their site, they broke ad blocking period, regardless of what site(s) you visit.

Discuss...
I was just on YouTube with uBlock Origin and SponsorBlock, and everything was fine.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Same.

I wouldn't mind ads if they weren't so fucking annoying so it's Google's fault they force us to use it, because if the ads were short and tolerable then I'd be fine watching them.

The way to browse the internet nowadays is with an adblocker or else, it's pretty exhausting going through tons and tons of ads. Even on GBATemp I block ads and elements to make it cleaner for me.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Modern browsers isolate their tabs quite well, so if anything caused an issue with an addon that then affects other tabs and sites it sounds more like your browser fucked up.

Try restarting the browser and it'll probably start working again, if that doesn't help clear your cache and reset the addon, that's almost certainly going to fix it.
Chances are that something just glitched out somewhere, with how complex browsers are that's just what's going to happen occasionally.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
^ Same.

I wouldn't mind ads if they weren't so fucking annoying so it's Google's fault they force us to use it, because if the ads were short and tolerable then I'd be fine watching them.

The way to browse the internet nowadays is with an adblocker or else, it's pretty exhausting going through tons and tons of ads. Even on GBATemp I block ads and elements to make it cleaner for me.
YouTube began as an ad-free platform, and I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep it that way.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Even more importantly, remember when related videos were all RELATED (give or take tag stuffing) and not RECOMMENDED?
That, I don't mind so much. I like finding new music videos of bands I might like this way.
Post automatically merged:

I've got plenty of ad-blockers and YouTube is not gonna stop me. :D
I even have plugins for Chrome that give me my right-click access back on sites that try to prevent me from right-clicking, and I can also remove modals that are basically just invisible (transparency) panes that block you from saving pics and videos. I'm unstoppable. Now I just need something that blocks the ad-blocker detectors, and I'll be golden.

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: SylverReZ

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard YouTube Premium is very cheap in certain countries. And you can even pay for a year upfront. A little birdie told me you can get it as cheap as £8/$10 for a year if you take a vacation to one of those particular countries.

Especially useful if you use YouTube a lot on your phone and TV like me.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard YouTube Premium is very cheap in certain countries. And you can even pay for a year upfront. A little birdie told me you can get it as cheap as £8/$10 for a year if you take a vacation to one of those particular countries.

As if anybody is gonna use that.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You gotta read the bolded letters, they spell out "V P N". :grog:
Browser extension VPNs are free, they work the same way except you gotta pay more for other countries too.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

I won't pay for YouTube Premium, but I WILL pay for a YouTube 4K Video Downloader license to download the same content. Yay small app devs, boo tech giant!

Reactions: SylverReZ

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I won't pay for YouTube Premium, but I WILL pay for a YouTube 4K Video Downloader license to download the same content. Yay small app devs, boo tech giant!
Yeah that's a good option too. But for me it's worth it for the convenience. I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV

Screenshot_20230626-114629.png

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always recommend downloading the videos you enjoy the most, because once they're gone, then you cannot re-watch without having an archived source.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
YouTube began as an ad-free platform, and I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep it that way.
YouTube Premium is something I will never pay for out of principle. The more Alphabet tries to irritate me with increasingly frequent and longer ads, the harder I will dig my heels in.

Also OP can we get a source? Pretty much everybody here is saying they've seen no change despite your confidence that something has shifted.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah that's a good option too. But for me it's worth it for the convenience. I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV

View attachment 379990
I mean when you get that much use out of it, who can really argue?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k