YouTube-Google breaks ad blockers

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard YouTube Premium is very cheap in certain countries. And you can even pay for a year upfront. A little birdie told me you can get it as cheap as £8/$10 for a year if you take a vacation to one of those particular countries.

Especially useful if you use YouTube a lot on your phone and TV like me.
I see the purpose for those who want their kids watching YT ad-free, but otherwise there's ReVanced, NewPipe, and STubeNext.

YouTube Music Vanced still works so I've not upgraded to the ReVanced edition yet.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I heard YouTube Premium is very cheap in certain countries. And you can even pay for a year upfront. A little birdie told me you can get it as cheap as £8/$10 for a year if you take a vacation to one of those particular countries.

What happened when people did that with Steam. They raised the prices in those regions and people that couldnt afford the new prices got the shaft again.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is also my solution to getting YouTube ad free without having to deal with side loading a random “modded” app onto my device. I think I pay a whopping $3/month for YouTube ad free using a vacation to one of those particular countries.

Another tip: some banks let you make “virtual” debit cards. I configured one of these to put $40 on the card every year and then YouTube drains it a little bit every month. Works great.

Reactions: shaunj66

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is also my solution to getting YouTube ad free without having to deal with side loading a random “modded” app onto my device. I think I pay a whopping $3/month for YouTube ad free using a vacation to one of those particular countries.

Another tip: some banks let you make “virtual” debit cards. I configured one of these to put $40 on the card every year and then YouTube drains it a little bit every month. Works great.
YT Premium used to have shows worth paying for, well, just Cobra Kai, and now it's reduced to just: No Ads.

That's not worth paying for when it's available for free.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YT Premium used to have shows worth paying for, well, just Cobra Kai, and now it's reduced to just: No Ads.

That's not worth paying for when it's available for free.
I’d rather purchase it using a VPN and continue to use the stock YouTube app than risk security and sideload an app made by some random dudes on the internet.

I don’t have an Android, so Vanced or ReVanced isn’t an option for me. I’m stuck sideloading one of the many random “modded” apps for iOS and none of them are open source so I can’t audit the code.

Paranoid? Probably. But I value my device security more than I value getting YouTube for free.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d rather purchase it using a VPN and continue to use the stock YouTube app than risk security and sideload an app made by some random dudes on the internet.

I don’t have an Android, so Vanced or ReVanced isn’t an option for me. I’m stuck sideloading one of the many random “modded” apps for iOS and none of them are open source so I can’t audit the code.

Paranoid? Probably. But I value my device security more than I value getting YouTube for free.
As long as you get the modded app from a reliable source that's not really an issue to worry about, honestly.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no ads on my very outdated and obselete version of YouTubeVanced, and no issues on either of my Chromebooks running the latest version of Chrome and the latest AdBlock plugin.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry Google, maybe I’d be more tolerant of ads if you didn’t feature a mobile game ad where a man uses a genie lamp as a toilet & the genie makes it overflow into a literal tower of poop earlier this year.

Like no- LITERALLY. Getting THAT literal shit forced upon me TWICE was what made me turn uBlock Origin back on earlier this year, in some misguided attempt to throw the tiniest bone to creators I like. Never got that stuff on my iPad, where there isn’t YT Revanced. At least when watching Hobo Funnie Show I SOMEWHAT know what I’m getting into, knowing it’s a series with mature humor.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only time I see any ads on youtube is when I cast vids of cute and funny animals on the tv to show me mom.
Else... nah.

Feel this vid's here relevant to the discussion at hand:

Reactions: Xzi

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you get the modded app from a reliable source that's not really an issue to worry about, honestly.
What’s a reliable source? GitHub with no code? AltStore? Who audits the code to ensure it’s not stealing data, even if it comes from a reputable source?

No thanks. I’ll stick to my way until I’m forced to change.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least that one has code I can look over and compile it myself on my Mac!

Thanks, @linuxares! I had no clue that existed!

Edit: code looks clean. It really doesn’t do much but package in SponsorBlock and enable background play/picture in picture. It doesn’t allow native downloading of videos but does include a built in downloader that lets me save the videos unencrypted on my device!

YouTube doesn’t even allow this, so I’m already building this so I can sign it with my developer account and install it. @linuxares, serious my friend. Super huge thanks for this. You made my day.

Last edited by rcpd,
Reactions: linuxares

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, if they managed to push an ad through all that they're cracking down hard.
Yeah, I actually didn't realize I had all those running until you asked. I looked, and I guess just over the years I added 'em due to issues. So, after that, I looked up the possibility of issues with overlapping those, and ended up deactivating all but UBlock Origin. So far, so good.

Reactions: CoolMe

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I actually didn't realize I had all those running until you asked. I looked, and I guess just over the years I added 'em due to issues. So, after that, I looked up the possibility of issues with overlapping those, and ended up deactivating all but UBlock Origin. So far, so good.
uBlock Origin and SponsorBlock are all I ever need. SponsorBlock automatically detects and skips the sponsored sections of videos. (Use any Linus Tech Tips video to test it with if you don't believe me! XD)

Reactions: GeekyGuy and CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY