A Couple of Android Questions

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should definitely use Ad-guard. Combine this with "CCSWE app manager" to de-bloat your phone from the unwanted system apps, including youtube without needing to root your phone. Use youtube vanced in it's place and you'll never have any ad on your phone in any app or browsers. If you play games with ads for bonuses they won't work either , so you'd have to temporarily disable ad-guard while you play or whitelist ads from that particular game (might whitelist other ads though , who knows).
what is ad guard a part of? chrome? the problem I have is that I want to use chrome, but it seems every add blocking service requires you use their browser. I don't like that. :(

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a note, the standard AdGuard does not work with Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. And you'd have to read the privacy ToS for AdGuard VPN to see if you're comfortable with the information they collect. Imo the combination of Firefox for Android along with the very well respected uBlock Origin add-on, you'll be all set. I know it has been mentioned (but I think only by one person) that Firefox has poor security, but it's not any less secure than something that uses Googles backend. Saying Firefox is not secure but that ANYthing involving Google is, is kind of ridiculous. ;) You can also just use Edge as was suggested by others, as it has built in ad-blocking with Ad Block. Although uBlock Origin is the superior blocker by a long shot.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what is ad guard a part of? chrome? the problem I have is that I want to use chrome, but it seems every add blocking service requires you use their browser. I don't like that. :(
Adguard is a stand alone app, so not part of anything. https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html as opposed to Stone_Wings is saying , it blocks ads globally and works fine with Firefox for me. Ad blockers are banned from both Play store and Apple store. Adguard is the only ad blocker I have on my note 8 and I have not seen a single ad in years on my phone. No reason not to work with chrome since it acts as a vpn that will block all traffics to ads site, no matter the source.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adguard is a stand alone app, so not part of anything. https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html as opposed to Stone_Wings is saying , it blocks ads globally and works fine with Firefox for me. Ad blockers are banned from both Play store and Apple store. Adguard is the only ad blocker I have on my note 8 and I have not seen a single ad in years on my phone. No reason not to work with chrome since it acts as a vpn that will block all traffics to ads site, no matter the source.
I installed ad guard with apk pure (is that any good?). I also installed the certificate (is that safe?) I'll test it for a while. no ads on temp that I saw when I went there just now. :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, do you think the problem with trek sounds is related to android version or an update with android? it wasn't like this when I first got it. that's how I got tos comm 2 and tos whistle files for ring tone and notification respectively. I was able to save them, just can't get anymore, and I tried changing to those in trek sounds, but it does the same thing it does for all of them (not in custom, and the name is a bunch of numbers). that's not how it was before, so I have no idea what could've happened.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you are both talking about a completely different adguard. I was referring to these:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adguard.android.contentblocker
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adguard.vpn

You installed a certificate without even knowing exactly what the certificate is? I wouldn't recommend doing that ever again. Nothing I recommended has anyone installing any certificates or routing their connection to some vpn. Do you know what data that vpn is or is not collecting about you? Also, installing apks from sources you're uncertain are trustworthy or not is also not a great idea.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Roamin64 There is nothing "opposed to" what I said. AdGuard has two different apps available in the Play Store. I linked to both of them. The one you are both referring to is listed as "AdGuard VPN" in the Play Store. Nothing was "opposed to" anything. ;)

@godreborn If you want to use AdGuard, just install AdGuard VPN from the official Play Store. :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they're wanting you to pay for a vpn. I don't want a vpn, just a way to block ads. the other also forces you to install a vpn, but it doesn't mention anything about it costing something. it also didn't ask about the certificate this time.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Roamin64 There is nothing "opposed to" what I said. AdGuard has two different apps available in the Play Store. I linked to both of them. The one you are both referring to is listed as "AdGuard VPN" in the Play Store. Nothing was "opposed to" anything. ;)

@godreborn If you want to use AdGuard, just install AdGuard VPN from the official Play Store. :)
Well this is all very confusing. You said "The standard adguard" (which is the one I am using and the one I am referring to) but you linked 2 different things. The first you linked is not "Adguard" but rather "Adguard: Content Blocker For samsung and yandex" (not standard adguard).

The second you linked is not even from the same company , and its called "Adguard VPN - Private Proxy" (Again , not the standard adguard).

The standard adguard can only be downloaded from their site. The certificate is needed in order to block ads on secure pages (https) otherwise it has no access to filter it's content. This is the only true solution for a device-wide ad blocking mechanism. Although it's setup as a VPN , no data is ever sent to adguard. It uses VPN functions to filter out the unwanted sites and blocks them , that's all.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think they're wanting you to pay for a vpn. I don't want a vpn, just a way to block ads. the other also forces you to install a vpn, but it doesn't mention anything about it costing something. it also didn't ask about the certificate this time.
They are not asking you to pay for a VPN at all. They setup a VPN on your phone itself and it filters out web addresses. It's totally free and you will never be nagged about anything, ever.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is all very confusing. You said "The standard adguard" (which is the one I am using and the one I am referring to) but you linked 2 different things. The first you linked is not "Adguard" but rather "Adguard: Content Blocker For samsung and yandex" (not standard adguard).

The second you linked is not even from the same company , and its called "Adguard VPN - Private Proxy" (Again , not the standard adguard).

The standard adguard can only be downloaded from their site. The certificate is needed in order to block ads on secure pages (https) otherwise it has no access to filter it's content. This is the only true solution for a device-wide ad blocking mechanism. Although it's setup as a VPN , no data is ever sent to adguard. It uses VPN functions to filter out the unwanted sites and blocks them , that's all.
so the certificate is safe? I just installed it again.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so the certificate is safe? I just installed it again.
It is safe. I was mistaken as to adguard being free though .. I'm sorry. I've set it up so long ago that I forgot that I did install a cracked version of adguard.. It's been running in the background for around 4 years now without me rarely ever needing to open the app. Adaway was the best solution but it requires root access to your device so it can modify the hosts file to block ads.. On a non rooted phone, ad-guard's method is the best.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo