A Nintendo Switch flashcart is being teased, and it could support all models

Screenshot_20231223-123346_Brave.jpg

Throughout the Nintendo Switch's life, we've seen modchips and softmods aplenty. What has been missing in the Switch hacking scene, though, is a flashcart; and if rumors are to be believed, one might be coming soon. A user by the name of After Time X shared on Twitter that they have exclusive information regarding testing of a flashcart that will work on all models and revisions of the Nintendo Switch. A video of "proof" was shown, of someone cycling through rom backups, and loading the games to play on their Switch OLED unit. According to the rumor, these flashcarts will begin shipping as early as next month.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion thread

Last edited by Flame,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Woah, this will be game-changing for the Switch hacking scene for sure,

Not really. CFW has been around over five years now and is much more convenient in terms of usability. Granted, you wouldn't need to install a modchip in newer revisions, but even that is not that much of an issue if you have a service around to do it for you.
Given what was charged for the Sky3DS back then, this also probably won't be much cheaper than a modchip.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, this will be game-changing for the Switch hacking scene for sure, wonder how easy &/or demanding the set up is..
It's kinda hassle rn with modchips tbh, if this actually works without requiring any specific modifications to the unit (I.E soldering), it should be the standard from now on imo.
game changing for pirates, nothing for Switch hacking.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's hoping Nintendo leaves this project alone. As long as it's not preloaded with Switch ROMs OOTB, it's okay by Fair Use standards.

IMHO, the problem is not so much "Is it legal to make a copy of [insert product here] for myself?" as it is "Will the company understand and support, or at least tolerate, Fair Use regulations, or will they stick to their copyrights?" I, for one, do not like copyrights, if merely for the fact that they can be abused by companies and they can get away with suing everyone and putting people in prison; however, that does not mean I don't respect a creator's work.

I would rather pay for something I wanted legitimately than go pirate it - this coming from someone who has worked in a project that has "worked with" copyrighted content (anyone who follows me knows what I mean). In my defense, it was all abandonware at the time I worked with it, but I never felt fully comfortable with it, so I essentially left.

Nintendo Switch is NOT abandonware (at least, not yet), so to have Switch ROMs already preloaded on a flashcart is just asking for trouble. Since I don't know this guy, I couldn't tell you if that's the case, but we'll just have to see if this is just hype for nothing, a piracy device, or a legitimate flashcart intended for Fair Use.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it could somehow spoof the cart id, it would be interesting. Otherwise, just kinda redundant with CFWs being around. Less work for the end user though I guess
Spoof the game id to claim the 60 gold coin :rofl:
Post automatically merged:

I would never go online with this flashcard. Piracy copy of a game on it=BAM! Banned. Switch games have some sort of "certificates". So if the system somehow "notices" that several people in the world are using the "same cartridge" (erm...i mean backups...), then the ban is guaranteed. And keep in mind that the gamecard firmware can be updated by Nintendo and any vulnerabilities could be fixed.
.3ds games had "header", unique certification number to go online

Need the flashcard to have an osd menu to choose the game, like gateway but I think this would need some hacking.
Sky3ds game switching is a pain in the ass if you have lot of games

Last edited by Asia81,

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Deleted member 681657,
Reactions: Blythe93

zebrone

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes but not everyone can do to soldering on the consoles that require it to get the custom firmware. This is a great alternative that leaves the console in factory state.
Infact. If the card values i will buy an oled switch model...

Imagine if it worked on the Switch 2. Honestly they should have waited another year until that thing came out and seen how the backwards compat worked.

Imagine dropping this thing at that time.
I hope that its too late to modify switch 2,also because we suppose it will be presented on January and launched soon months after....fingers crossed

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
This flash cart is an inside job to sell more hardwares at the compromise of losing software sales since the console is approaching it's last few years, Nintendo saw how flashcarts affected DS sales! :ph34r:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...