Hacking A Tiny Soldering Job (Reversable Trinket M0)

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hahahahaha YOU CAUGHT ME!!! I believe I am not allowed to specifically discuss services here until I have made 100 posts (then I could post in the marketing section). I have had direct messages where I mention the number 60, not including parts or shipping.

Great. I will send you a PM. You can install my dongle for me. I tried that hole on top of the console (the hole that iPhones no longer have) but I could not complete installation. Maybe I'm trying to insert my dongle into the wrong hole. I need a hero.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the camera you used was already good 1080p 60fps
its just a phone lol
Great. I will send you a PM. You can install my dongle for me. I tried that hole on top of the console (the hole that iPhones no longer have) but I could not complete installation. Maybe I'm trying to insert my dongle into the wrong hole. I need a hero.
you should try turning it off and on again

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Recommendation: Use a chisel tip for your soldering iron. The conical ones are really no good because you have to use higher temps with them making it more likely to rip pads off ;)

starfox51

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
serious question. For removal of the micro usb port. I have a heat gun that says it can get up to about 1000 degrees F. It's pretty big though and I mainly use it for stuff on my car. Is it safe to use this on the trinket m0 board? I was planning on covering the board with foil (and after seeing your video, a quarter). I'm not sure if the wider opening would be too imprecise.

The other plan was to use my soldering iron and wick and get each little pad off one at a time.

Plan C is to rip the damn thing off.

Gun is Wagner HT-1000 on amazon

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
serious question. For removal of the micro usb port. I have a heat gun that says it can get up to about 1000 degrees F. It's pretty big though and I mainly use it for stuff on my car. Is it safe to use this on the trinket m0 board? I was planning on covering the board with foil (and after seeing your video, a quarter). I'm not sure if the wider opening would be too imprecise.

The other plan was to use my soldering iron and wick and get each little pad off one at a time.

Serious answer:

Plan D - tiny soldering guy

Reactions: CymraegAce

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a decent set of sidecutters? If you don't care about recovering the microUSB port (and you can get new ones for pennies) and have a suitable normal iron then you can cut away the relevant parts of the shell with the sidecutters and remove the rest with a wick or indeed the iron itself if you are good.

Re: temp settings on hot air stations.
I tend to find they are not worth the effort to set too precisely. Or if you prefer then get a hairdryer. Turn it on (hot mode naturally). Hold your hand reasonably far away, leave it there for a bit. Now repeat closer to it and watch you yank your hand away. If your drier has multiple power settings repeat experiment with those. Same deal applies here, just with a lot more heat.
Obviously you need to play each scenario as it comes (too much heat and it is bad, too little and you end up either not doing anything or cooking everything else around before you heat up the part you want. If you know you are melting nasty lead free stuff then some more heat will be needed than an equivalent scenario with glorious full fat leaded solder.

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this acts just like the SX Pro dongle but built in? So you can go into the SX pro menu to switch between CFW, OFW, and the other options, correct? Also last question, SX Pro can load external payloads, can you do that with this aswell?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Out of interest, whats that copper-coloured wire-thing you use to help remove the old board solder; i'm guessing that's it's primary job anyhow.. ^_^

It is called desoldering braid, desoldering wick or occasionally solder wick. There are other methods of desoldering but it is still something well worth having around and could be considered an essential bit of kit.

Not all will come with flux (or it might dry out if it does) so make sure you have some of that on hand as well.

Reactions: CymraegAce

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recommendation: Use a chisel tip for your soldering iron. The conical ones are really no good because you have to use higher temps with them making it more likely to rip pads off ;)
I have chisel, conical, knife & radial. I just love the all around uses of conical (like tacking the usb pins), I use max heat and give a slight tap. I always felt like the chisel tip had more surface area and thus more heat, so I tend to use that tip for bigger case codes.

I was using a Dewalt d26960k with an attachment that is dime size. what you have would work, but you wouldn't want to center the gun on the USB port, just enough so that you can visualize the air hitting the 5 pins and flowing outward. Really you should be grabbing a scrap circuit board first to understand how the heat gun will work. I wouldn't recommend using tin foil, you have a chance of components lifting off after using a heat gun, best to just throw the quarter on like I did.

dont wick the pads, use my method instead - hit all areas with leaded solder to increase surface area and lower melting temperatures.

dont rip it off :P
Serious answer:

Plan D - tiny soldering guy
I really need to ask you to act like a man and be mature. I'm not down for your toxic attitude and id prefer you to be upfront with your beef. High school was a very long time ago for me, and at least in my experience, NONE of the guys acted like you have been acting. So either tell me what your problem is with me, or make like a tree.
Do you have a decent set of sidecutters? If you don't care about recovering the microUSB port (and you can get new ones for pennies) and have a suitable normal iron then you can cut away the relevant parts of the shell with the sidecutters and remove the rest with a wick or indeed the iron itself if you are good.

Re: temp settings on hot air stations.
I tend to find they are not worth the effort to set too precisely. Or if you prefer then get a hairdryer. Turn it on (hot mode naturally). Hold your hand reasonably far away, leave it there for a bit. Now repeat closer to it and watch you yank your hand away. If your drier has multiple power settings repeat experiment with those. Same deal applies here, just with a lot more heat.
Obviously you need to play each scenario as it comes (too much heat and it is bad, too little and you end up either not doing anything or cooking everything else around before you heat up the part you want. If you know you are melting nasty lead free stuff then some more heat will be needed than an equivalent scenario with glorious full fat leaded solder.
hes right, sidecutters work great! I use them for laptop DC jacks sometimes
So this acts just like the SX Pro dongle but built in? So you can go into the SX pro menu to switch between CFW, OFW, and the other options, correct? Also last question, SX Pro can load external payloads, can you do that with this aswell?
It acts as any dongle you want it to act as, if you tap the reset switch twice you can change the payload via USB-C and a computer.
Still, the image quality was more then decent-enough..

Out of interest, whats that copper-coloured wire-thing you use to help remove the old board solder; i'm guessing that's it's primary job anyhow.. ^_^
The issue is having both eyes on a microscope, one hand holding a soldering iron, one hand holding a phone. no mount is going to get in my 2-3 inch clearance between the project and the microscope, and even if it did I would then have a phone in my way.

Solder wick, yup! :D

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You better get used to the jokes. You are tiny soldering guy. "Tiny soldering guy" has been a running joke on this forum since you made that initial post offering to perform installs for a mod that didn't yet exist. Now that it turns out that the mod is plug and play the joke is even more hilarious. I think my jokes are relatively mild.
right, your calling this a joke. You are essentially suggesting to someone that ripping something off of a circuit board, causing physical damage, is BETTER than my work. You read that post as soon as I hit submit, then you took THIS LONG to think of something half assed to respond with. Do me a favor buddy, act your age

Reactions: Earth97 and Soluble

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
You better get used to the jokes. You are tiny soldering guy. "Tiny soldering guy" has been a running joke on this forum since you made that initial post offering to perform installs for a mod that didn't yet exist. Now that it turns out that the mod is plug and play the joke is even more hilarious. I think my jokes are relatively mild.
Except that there is several internal mods in development, that will require (a) tiny solder guy. The Trinket installs we are seeing are evidence enough. We will see people messing up their switches over the next few months guaranteed.

While I will probably live with the Dongle for now, an internal mod that boots into OFW when power is pressed and CFW when power and vol+ are pressed is perfect!

Reactions: LineoftheDead

LineoftheDead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that there is several internal mods in development, that will require (a) tiny solder guy. The Trinket installs we are seeing are evidence enough. We will see people messing up their switches over the next few months guaranteed.

While I will probably live with the Dongle for now, an internal mod that boots into OFW when power is pressed and CFW when power and vol+ are pressed is perfect!
I totally agree! something else I can see happening is the USB-C port failing from repeated jabbings

Reactions: Deleted User

starfox51

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using a Dewalt d26960k with an attachment that is dime size. what you have would work, but you wouldn't want to center the gun on the USB port, just enough so that you can visualize the air hitting the 5 pins and flowing outward. Really you should be grabbing a scrap circuit board first to understand how the heat gun will work. I wouldn't recommend using tin foil, you have a chance of components lifting off after using a heat gun, best to just throw the quarter on like I did.

dont wick the pads, use my method instead - hit all areas with leaded solder to increase surface area and lower melting temperatures.

dont rip it off :P

Thanks. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    124 bytes · Views: 132
Last edited by Chary,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"very fun"
you have very sick idea of what fun is, masochistic actually
looks like the conventional soldering iron didn't do anything to remove the micro USB and that it was all hot air that got it off

plus all the REALLY "fun" parts were cut fromt he video
like trying to solder wires to where the micro USB connector was removed and soldering to the switch MB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay