Hacking About Super Mario Advance 4's release

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, well that's dumb, but I guess I understand it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Weird that they waited so long to remove it if they determined it broke their weird standard.

I think the IPS and Xdeltas in the OP still fall in a gray enough area for them to be fine here on GBATemp though, so I wouldn't worry about them going anywhere too much.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
To be fair, ROMHacking.net seems to have some odd standards. There's a patch for Super Mario Bros. 3 that turns the game into a compilation of all four different games (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, The Lost Levels, and Bros. 3), and this hasn't been flagged for being non-compliant. It should be flagged though since it means the user only has to have access to Bros. 3 in order to patch the ROM and play every game.

Not to bash them or anything, but I do think it was somewhat wrongly flagged sine the save files that have the eShop content were previously okay to distribute.
I agree, they do have some iffy shit going on about what hacks to leave and which to remove.
I think the main reason here would be the kind of patch and who made the content of the hack.

I have read that many of the Sonic hackers use xDelta due to how it handles the data.
Let's say you copy a sprite from Sonic 2 into Sonic 3, since it is copyrighted data (apparently), you are basically copying that copyrighted data into another game, which is why they use xdelta.

As for who the content creator is...
Well, since the patch was made off of the Virtual Console version, which was released officially by Nintendo, we are going into the copyright territory yet again.
Basically, Nintendo made additional code to the Virtual Console version themselves, and what we did was take the dumped ROM from the VC to create the IPS by taking an old SMA4 ROM as the base.
Basically, copying the code from Nintendo into the old dump, and that's copyrighted.

Perhaps this could be avoided by using xdelta patching, but I won't even risk it, they might bring it down too.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, they do have some iffy shit going on about what hacks to leave and which to remove.
I think the main reason here would be the kind of patch and who made the content of the hack.

I have read that many of the Sonic hackers use xDelta due to how it handles the data.
Let's say you copy a sprite from Sonic 2 into Sonic 3, since it is copyrighted data (apparently), you are basically copying that copyrighted data into another game, which is why they use xdelta.

As for who the content creator is...
Well, since the patch was made off of the Virtual Console version, which was released officially by Nintendo, we are going into the copyright territory yet again.
Basically, Nintendo made additional code to the Virtual Console version themselves, and what we did was take the dumped ROM from the VC to create the IPS by taking an old SMA4 ROM as the base.
Basically, copying the code from Nintendo into the old dump, and that's copyrighted.

Perhaps this could be avoided by using xdelta patching, but I won't even risk it, they might bring it down too.

Well technically speaking, the official nintendo rom as we dumped it is globally byteswapped, so where do you draw the line?

Like I said, it's a gray area but RomHacking.net is on the wrong side of that line for that type of thing I guess. Which is weird for a site that hosts patches that actively change the read-only-memory of games. But, hey, I don't make the rules I just make fun of them. ¯\(º_o)/¯

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well technically speaking, the official nintendo rom as we dumped it is globally byteswapped, so where do you draw the line?

Like I said, it's a gray area but RomHacking.net is on the wrong side of that line for that type of thing I guess. Which is weird for a site that hosts patches that actively change the read-only-memory of games. But, hey, I don't make the rules I just make fun of them. ¯\(º_o)/¯
I know, I do make fun of it too haha.
In anyway, if someone has the time to upload the IPS patch yet again to ZeBucket, that's cool.
If not then I'll do so tomorrow myself.

We cannot let this kind of things fall into obscurity, it's a diamond.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I do make fun of it too haha.
In anyway, if someone has the time to upload the IPS patch yet again to ZeBucket, that's cool.
If not then I'll do so tomorrow myself.

We cannot let this kind of things fall into obscurity, it's a diamond.
The patch is still linked in the OP, hosted on MEGA.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: Cornholio309

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
why are some people saying xdelta is safer/better to share than ips? xdelta is encrypted or something?
eitherway i guess it is still just as illegal/copyrighted/whatever nintendo thinks, yes?

anyway, thanks again for this!
so we have usa, what about jpn? and was eur ever released on eshop?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I really hope someone could dump the japanese versions of EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound, known as Mother and Mother 2 in Japan.
From what I and other memebers from Starmen have gathere, those releases have some changes over the original Famicom and Super Famicom releases.

If someone has a japanese Wii U with those two titles, please dump them :P
cool, what differences?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly it seems as if ROMHacking.net removed the hack under the conclusion that it wasn't legal to distribute. @Sonic_Cee_Dee might want to remove the link to that website since it doesn't contain anything useful now.
How the fuck isn't it legal? It's just a fucking patch.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
don't get upset about it! arguably it's nintendo's work, and they wouldn't be happy about it being on that website, or the website doesn't want to host stuff like that.
illegal/copyrighted or not, it's just easier to not allow stuff like that.
surely you understand.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As far as I can tell they consider it illegal because whilt it is a patch, it converts a normal ROM into the eShop version of the game and adds levels previously not included that are considered official.

However, I went ahead and made a post on ROMHacking.net to see if they'd be willing to reconsider the removal:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22011.0.html

It's a really weird legal grey area, but I found quite a few hacks that sort of fall under the exact same category this patch does. Check out my post to see what I mean.

EDIT: I should clarify I really don't want this to turn into an attack against ROMHacking.net and have the topic get closed down. It's a really weird legal area and I appreciate the efforts of everyone here. I just feel the need to point out that it was removed and I want to help by getting this patch back on another website. I accept whatever decision is made by the heads of the website, and I really do not want to see this topic locked due to heated arguments.

Last edited by Cornholio309, , Reason: Edited my edit so the edit is a cooler edit that explains the edit further.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You made a account just for that, will you continue to visit the site again, or wa that all you did?

That's pretty much all I did and admittedly the entire reason why I made the account. I felt it was necessary to message them on the appropriate sub-forum as the message might have a better chance of getting noticed there, but I do frequent ROMHacking.net to grab a couple of pretty decent ROM hacks in patch form (notable examples include the ones I listed in the ROMHacking.net post and Super Mario Bros. 3Mix). There are probably a couple of more really decent ROM hacks, but I won't go into it further since it might be getting a bit off topic at this point.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much all I did and admittedly the entire reason why I made the account. I felt it was necessary to message them on the appropriate sub-forum as the message might have a better chance of getting noticed there, but I do frequent ROMHacking.net to grab a couple of pretty decent ROM hacks in patch form (notable examples include the ones I listed in the ROMHacking.net post and Super Mario Bros. 3Mix). There are probably a couple of more really decent ROM hacks, but I won't go into it further since it might be getting a bit off topic at this point.

Rockman 4 minus infinity
Sonic Megamix?
Super mario world second reality project?:creep:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It won't disappear, it is part of the No-Intro dat now.

EDIT: and pretty much every other site would allow such xdelta patches
why are xdelta patches so special?
not that i don't want these things shared, but from the sites point of view, no matter what patch format or archive format or encryption, the 'copyrighted' stuff is still in there somehow... right?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why are xdelta patches so special?
not that i don't want these things shared, but from the sites point of view, no matter what patch format or archive format or encryption, the 'copyrighted' stuff is still in there somehow... right?
"VCDIFF/xdelta and BPS are modern binary patch formats that remain efficient even when moving things around while expanding a ROM, unlike IPS"

Is really all useful info I could find on this

Gesendet von meinem Elephone P6000 mit Tapatalk

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
patches = diff files

if the two files are similar enough, the patch/diff only contains the differences between the data, not the actual data

or that is how i understand it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: