Allegations arise of sexual harassment towards Nintendo of America's female testers

images

Once again Nintendo hits the headlines, but this time not for the "lighthearted" news you might expect, not even their obnoxious DMCA notice. Several female testers have spoken out about certain inappropriate comments, advances, and overall "frat-like" ambient that they experienced from both co-workers and superiors during their stay at NoA as testers. The allegations even seem to indicate harsh behaviours not only based on sex, but also towards employees of different sexual orientations.

The accusations have been reported and published by Kotaku just a few days ago, in quite a lengthy article going into great detail about the several stories they've gathered regarding the different accusations and claims from inside the NoA offices.

The recent claims have reached the attention of Nintendo of America's current president, Doug Bowser, to which he sent an internal message to their employees:

Doug Bowser said:
We have and will always investigate any allegations we become aware of, and we are actively investigating these most recent claims.

It is currently unknown if there is an active legal action against specific employees.

:arrow: Source #1
:arrow: Source #2

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Who follows work rules though lol
Not safe for work should really mean that it shouldn't be in the workplace. It's a job and it's wrong to create that kind of environment as people are there to work. I have to say, that men should be held accountable and not be given a pass because they are men. Men aren't children and shouldn't be treated as such. Allowing men a free pass on sexual harassment is literally creating a hostile working environment.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Normal people? Don't be a fucking idiot if you want to keep your job lmao
Not a single person I know follows work rules. They just are not obvious about it. And to say you do 100% of the time well now I know your a liar.

Most of the females I know make suggestive jokes themselves. Some even more then the guys. Females make jokes about their boobs and what not around the guys. Or talk about big butts.

So I'm reading this article and like who is this female making a big deal about NSFW jokes. I don't see how a joke like this is harmful. It's not rape. It's a joke. Sounds like she's abusing her power. And yes she does have power.

• Angry
Reactions: Cris1997XX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
False accusations make up roughly 2% of all reported claims. The idea that all accusations need to be treated with such scrutiny is just wrong and the reason why most victims don’t come forward. Statistically speaking, it’s more likely that these claims have more legitimacy than falsehood. This isn’t to say that there’s not going to be any falsehood, but it is to say that we shouldn’t just assume falsehood off the bat due to an extremely small fraction of false claims.
When accusations are made against you that can get you fired from your job and possibly blackballed from the industry, it is imperative that they all receive intense scrutiny. Lives have been destroyed over false accusations, but nobody cares because by the time the victims of these accusations see their day in court, everybody has already moved on to the next outrage of the day. Take the Duke lacrosse team. Many of them couldn't find jobs after graduation because those accusations were still hanging over them. It took them years to clear their names.

People who say that not all accusations need to be treated with scrutiny either has something to hide or they have a narrative to spin.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Obviously in the situation of actual sexual harassment then of course we all would want to get that guy fired. Or work environment changes.

But if no sexual harassment is happening. Then what's a joke really going to do? This is of course assuming sexual harassment didn't happen we'll need more details. If it did then I support the female.

And NSFW is inappropriate in a job situation sure. But people are people.

I know females that love lewd stuff. And I know females that hate avoid that stuff also. It's a spectrum not all females act the same. But it sounds to me if no sexual harassment happened that someone is abusing their power to be the next victim and to get attention.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When accusations are made against you that can get you fired from your job and possibly blackballed from the industry, it is imperative that they all receive intense scrutiny. Lives have been destroyed over false accusations, but nobody cares because by the time the victims of these accusations see their day in court, everybody has already moved on to the next outrage of the day. Take the Duke lacrosse team. Many of them couldn't find jobs after graduation because those accusations were still hanging over them. It took them years to clear their names.

People who say that not all accusations need to be treated with scrutiny either has something to hide or they have a narrative to spin.
None of that changes what I said. The amount of false accusations is still extremely low compared to the reported legitimate accusations. Equally, past false accusations does not mean every future one should be treated with so much skepticism. The constant skepticism is why so many victims don’t come forward and has only caused more harm as a result. There are countless abusers out there not being held accountable because of this skepticism.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When will people learn not to instantly villainise those alleged to have done crimes, when said allegations haven't been proven beyond any reasonable doubt? I could allege that Jack Napier and John Snow fucked a donkey in downtown LA, but that doesn't automatically mean they're guilty of bestiality.

Allegations should only be newsworthy IF they're proven beyond reasonable doubt, so as to not needlessly wreck the reputations and lives of the alleged prior to any possible sentencing.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of that changes what I said. The amount of false accusations is still extremely low compared to the reported legitimate accusations. Equally, past false accusations does not mean every future one should be treated with so much skepticism. The constant skepticism is why so many victims don’t come forward and has only caused more harm as a result. There are countless abusers out there not being held accountable because of this skepticism.
Trust but verify. That is why there should be investigations, but you of course, you don't want that because most accusations can't stand up to reality. I never realized a bunch of Juicy Smollier's worked at Nintendo.

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I havent looked at the source sites. just kinda reading the discourse back and forth here. I dont think this will effect nintendo. Also I did look at the source site and see they had a contractor that was mentioned a few times I dont get where it all fits together. I hope they figure this all out and all sides are good. But nintendo doesnt need any distractions like this. They really need to focus on getting Prime 4 releases because this is getting beyond ridiculous.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When will people learn not to instantly villainise those alleged to have done crimes, when said allegations haven't been proven beyond any reasonable doubt? I could allege that Jack Napier and John Snow fucked a donkey in downtown LA, but that doesn't automatically mean they're guilty of bestiality.

Allegations should only be newsworthy IF they're proven beyond reasonable doubt, so as to not needlessly wreck the reputations and lives of the alleged prior to any possible sentencing.
The Court of Public Opinion is more important than an actual court where actual evidence is presented under oaths. This is the world we live in today.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust but verify. That is why there should be investigations, but you of course, you don't want that because most accusations can't stand up to reality. I never realized a bunch of Juicy Smollier's worked at Nintendo.
I don’t believe falsehood should be assumed, it should be proven. Assuming only taints the legal process and only contributes to the problem. In the legal system it’s innocent until proven guilty and that’s how it should be.
No offense, but have you even read their other posts in the thread? They literally said they want exactly that on the previous page.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
but you of course, you don't want that because most accusations can't stand up to reality.
why read when you can construct your own version of reality where you are right? First part has already been mentioned but also most accusations do stand up to reality, because these things do happen. So do false claims, they're much rarer than genuine claims but that's why you can't assume one way or the other.

Reactions: The Catboy

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Court of Public Opinion is more important than an actual court where actual evidence is presented under oaths. This is the world we live in today.
Yeah, who gives a shit about what people hired for this think? Our opinions are more important! /s (I wish I was joking, but...you've already read enough "evidence")

Just because Johhny Depp had an abusive piece of crap for a wife and was falsely accused by her doesn't mean literally every man is the same, and the victims also need to be given the benefit of the doubt

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
I'm going to avoid making a long post about the subject. (primarily because I'll likely end up instigating or causing something that the mods will have to wipe 5 pages of)
But I'm going to say this.
Why the fuck do you guys (men) have to think "muh it must be fake"
Do you think that just maybe, maybe, instead of immediately assuming malice across the isle, that there might ACTUALLY be something work looking at? Instead of "oh it's metoo again"
Metoo happened in 2017. Grow a pair. Our culture, historically, has not favored women, so it's really hard to say "oh muh, it must be fake"
Because unfortunately, from a historical precedent, we are not in the clear.
my only statement on this since I know I'll end up converting this into a trash fire. good night.

tl;dr if ain't clear.
The people harassing the women and others coming out, are smooth brained af for thinking that they just want to accuse for the sake of it or some other bs.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
...Because there's always the chance the allegation or accusation was made out of spite, since those types of women know such tactics are effective these days?

We must always doubt the accusation and treat the accused as innocent, until and unless they're found guilty beyond any reasonable doubt. To do otherwise is to do great harm to those, however many or few, who end up falsely punished - to do otherwise is to turn society into an understated tyranny.

To promote the absolutely revolting idea that the accuser is automatically correct, without doing our due diligence in finding evidence and allowing both sides to tell their sides of the story (for the accused to defend himself), is to promote the backwards and witch-hunt-esque notion that the accused is guilty unless proven innocent - and our society should be long past treating people as witches by now.

It should not matter if 99% of accusations end up with a conviction; that 1% can represent hundreds of thousands of men, who would end up with their reputations, occupations, relationships, and lives destroyed simply because they were targeted by a conniving and spiteful woman who used society's current pro-female anti-male bias against him. Depp, ProJared, Alex Holowka, and many others are examples of this - men who had their reputations and lives attacked because their female accusers were spiteful and wanted them to be hurt in the worst way possible. Holowka, for one, committed suicide as a result.

• Haha

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Work from home is a boon for this. No accusations if you are not there.
Hopefully these behaviors will stop in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2