Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
It often silently fails and doesn't work at all on non-production environments.
Far from what I'd call perfect.

I have never had it silently failing, but if it is an option it should be fixed.

For the general user that does not need to work in a non-production environment that is not a concern.

In any case, I'm up for more options!

Reactions: tiliarou

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never had it silently failing, but if it is an option it should be fixed.

For the general user that does not need to work in a non-production environment that is not a concern.

In any case, I'm up for more options!
It consistently fails to delete old NCAs for me regardless of my setup, resulting in an error code on startup, and I've heard of several cases of it failing to write new pkg2 images, resulting in a pkg2 error on startup (bluescreen on stock, fusee/hekate just say pkg2 is fucked somehow)
Not a particularly big issue for me, but most people, who have no idea what they're doing, probably don't know how to fix it.

ok, fair :P

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of several cases of it failing to write new pkg2 images, resulting in a pkg2 error on startup (bluescreen on stock, fusee/hekate just say pkg2 is fucked somehow)
I remember getting this issue when making the jump to 7.0.0(?).
Making rawNand+boot dumps before each update finally payed off that day. :P

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, hoping someone can help me out.

I have been using sxos since a released a couple years ago. I am wanting to switch over to atmosphere to use Tesla and EdiZon.

I can get atmosphere to load but after that the switch says the sd card can not be read.

It works in ofw, sxos and is formatted in exfat. I don’t really want to reformat to fat32 since it’s 400Gb and full.

What else could cause the sd to not be recognized by the switch after atmosphere loads? Thanks.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, hoping someone can help me out.

I have been using sxos since a released a couple years ago. I am wanting to switch over to atmosphere to use Tesla and EdiZon.

I can get atmosphere to load but after that the switch says the sd card can not be read.

It works in ofw, sxos and is formatted in exfat. I don’t really want to reformat to fat32 since it’s 400Gb and full.

What else could cause the sd to not be recognized by the switch after atmosphere loads? Thanks.
It sounds like you need to either reformat the SD card as FAT32 or install exFAT support to your Switch using a FAT32 SD card. I don't know why the SD card works with SX OS, but I don't know a lot about SX OS because I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, and I'm not going to speculate.

FAT32 is highly recommended, regardless of which CFW you're using. If you leave your SD card on exFAT, you're asking for corruption issues down the road.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you need to either reformat the SD card as FAT32 or install exFAT support to your Switch using a FAT32 SD card. I don't know why the SD card works with SX OS, but I don't know a lot about SX OS because I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, and I'm not going to speculate.

FAT32 is highly recommended, regardless of which CFW you're using. If you leave your SD card on exFAT, you're asking for corruption issues down the road.
I have the exfat update which is why it works on ofw too.

It just seems strange that it works on everything but atmosphere.

Also, what causes corruption on exfat? I have had this card formatted to exfat on this switch for over two years and have never had a problem. Is it atmosphere specific?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the exfat update which is why it works on ofw too.

It just seems strange that it works on everything but atmosphere.
Then I don't know what your problem is. As a matter of troubleshooting, I would do the following:
  1. Remove all CFW files/folders from your SD card (that would be folders like /sept/ and /atmosphere/)
  2. Download the latest Atmosphere
  3. Download the latest fusee-primary (next to Atmosphere)
  4. Download these signature patches (for Atmosphere v0.13.0)
  5. Put Atmosphere and the signature patches onto your SD card
  6. Put the SD into your Switch
  7. Enter RCM
  8. Launch Atmosphere using fusee-primary
After performing these steps, is the SD card recognized?

Also, what causes corruption on exfat?
Is it atmosphere specific?
In short, Nintendo's exFAT drivers on the Switch are poorly made, and they increase the likelihood of corruption, whether or not one is even using CFW. This is an issue that affects OFW, Atmosphere, ReiNX, SX OS, etc.

I have had this card formatted to exfat on this switch for over two years and have never had a problem.
I've been driving for fourteen years and have never been in an accident. That doesn't mean it won't happen, and it doesn't mean I shouldn't wear a seatbelt.

It is highly recommended that you switch to FAT32, although it might not solve this particular problem.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
In short, Nintendo's exFAT drivers on the Switch are poorly made, and they increase the likelihood of corruption, whether or not one is even using CFW. This is an issue that affects OFW, Atmosphere, ReiNX, SX OS, etc.

I've been driving for fourteen years and have never been in an accident. That doesn't mean it won't happen, and it doesn't mean I shouldn't wear a seatbelt.

It is highly recommended that you switch to FAT32, although it might not solve this particular problem.

The consequences of the SD card becoming corrupted because of using exfat are not comparable to the consequences of driving without seatbelt.

Micro SD cards of medium to large size (200 GB and above) are very affordable now and if they are manufactured by known companies (Samsung, SanDisk,..) then the likelihood of corruption can be reduced.

Inconveniences of not being able to deal with >4 GB files would be enough reason to switch to exfat, if the user would so desire.

2 years on exfat without getting any data corruption is a good outcome already and worth (to me at least, possibly to that user as well) to keep using exfat

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The consequences of the SD card becoming corrupted because of using exfat are not comparable to the consequences of driving without seatbelt.
This is true, but that wasn't my point, so I don't know why we're talking about it. In case you missed it, the point of my analogy was to draw attention to the logical fallacy in suggesting that something won't happen or isn't likely to happen just because it has never happened before.

Micro SD cards of medium to large size (200 GB and above) are very affordable now and if they are manufactured by known companies (Samsung, SanDisk,..) then the likelihood of corruption can be reduced.
This is correct, but again, it doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about. A large SD card formatted as exFAT and manufactured by SanDisk, for example, still has a higher chance of data corruption on a Nintendo Switch. The specific variables leading to these specific risks can be reduced using FAT32 instead. There is currently no other way around it.

Inconveniences of not being able to deal with >4 GB files would be enough reason to switch to exfat, if the user would so desire.
We're now dealing with subjective opinion about what is more important to a given person. However, most people who acknowledge the faulty exFAT drivers on the Nintendo Switch, a higher chance of data corruption is far from worth being able to put >4GB files onto the SD card, particularly when there really isn't any reason to ever put a file >4GB onto a Switch SD card. NSP files should be installed over a USB, FTP, or internet connection for numerous reasons, for starters.

2 years on exfat without getting any data corruption is a good outcome already and worth (to me at least, possibly to that user as well) to keep using exfat
Two years of driving without an accident and without a seatbelt does not make it reasonable to continue driving without a seatbelt.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is correct, but again, it doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about. A large SD card formatted as exFAT and manufactured by SanDisk, for example, still has a higher chance of data corruption on a Nintendo Switch. The specific variables leading to these specific risks can be reduced using FAT32 instead. There is currently no other way around it.

Been using a 200gb SanDisk formated as exFAT since the switch first got hacked, no corruption.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using a 200gb SanDisk formated as exFAT since the switch first got hacked, no corruption.
That's great, and I'm truly happy for you, but that doesn't change the fact that the faulty exFAT drivers on the Switch objectively cause a higher chance of data corruption when contrasted with FAT32. I highly recommend switching to FAT32.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I don't know what your problem is. As a matter of troubleshooting, I would do the following:
  1. Remove all CFW files/folders from your SD card (that would be folders like /sept/ and /atmosphere/)
  2. Download the latest Atmosphere
  3. Download the latest fusee-primary (next to Atmosphere)
  4. Download these signature patches (for Atmosphere v0.13.0)
  5. Put Atmosphere and the signature patches onto your SD card
  6. Put the SD into your Switch
  7. Enter RCM
  8. Launch Atmosphere using fusee-primary
After performing these steps, is the SD card recognized?

Not at home to test now but I’ll give this another go.

I did have older sig patches for 9.0 so maybe that’s the problem? Maybe not? Who knows...

I am using the sx dongle. That may also be a problem. I have tried booting atmosphere, then hekate into atmosphere and the results are the same.

My use case here is very specific and I imagine that there aren’t many people with my setup so troubleshooting may be difficult.

Thanks for the help.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:

It doesn’t read fat32 formatted cards either. Atmosphere boots just fine but then the system says it can’t read the card.

I don’t have another dongle and don’t want to deal with Android or PC loading so it looks like I’m stuck with SX OS.

It has to be something in their dongle or software that keeps Atmosphere from working correctly. Which kinda sucks.

has anyone else dealt with this?

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i had probs myself if iried to boot ams from the sx menu.....so i ditched the sx pro dongle....used my phone for that....now i have a trinket m0 build in

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:

It doesn’t read fat32 formatted cards either. Atmosphere boots just fine but then the system says it can’t read the card.

I don’t have another dongle and don’t want to deal with Android or PC loading so it looks like I’m stuck with SX OS.

It has to be something in their dongle or software that keeps Atmosphere from working correctly. Which kinda sucks.

has anyone else dealt with this?
  1. Put fusee-primary onto the root of your SD card
  2. Enter SX OS using your USB dongle. Don't click Boot Custom Firmware
  3. Click "Options" -> "Payloads" -> "fusee-primary.bin" and then click "Launch"
Follow these steps to boot fusee-primary in the guide I previously gave you. Follow all of the other steps I previously gave you.

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Put fusee-primary onto the root of your SD card
  2. Enter SX OS using your USB dongle. Don't click Boot Custom Firmware
  3. Click "Options" -> "Payloads" -> "fusee-primary.bin" and then click "Launch"
Follow these steps to boot fusee-primary in the guide I previously gave you. Follow all of the other steps I previously gave you.
I’ve been doing that.

Its actually getting weirder. Turns out the sd cards do work, both exfat and fat32. I just get an error on every boot and when I come out of sleep mode.

Tesla menu is working but Emuiibo says games are not intercepted so it doesn’t work. Also every time I try to open EdiZon the system crashes.

Still trying to figure it all out.

konamicode89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a bit of trouble transitioning from atmosphere 9.20 to 10.0.4 but managed to get it working, though once you update there's no going back

I used HarukoNX to get my game NSPs playing again, the patch config file that goes on the bootloader folder made the difference. I just picked up on stardustCFW 3.0 as well and after installation and enabling the fake NNID all games that require account login are working as well.

I thought the update was going to make significant changes on how to understanding to setup CFW, but it's not that complicated thank for for the feedback

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I want to edit
Code:
/atmosphere/config_templates/override_config.ini
to achieve the following launch cases:

album with no button pressed: hbmenu
album with R pressed: album
news with no button pressed: Homebrew Details*
news with R pressed: news
any title with no button pressed: the selected title (obviously)
any title with R pressed: hbmenu
any title with ZR pressed: Homebrew Details*

* located at sd:\switch\homebrew_details\homebrew_details.nro

Is that even possible or is the override_config.ini only able to map the hbmenu to something but nothing else?

Reactions: Patatas

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to ask how to make it so that holding R on Album goes to Applet mode while choosing it normally goes to the Album, because changing the command to R doesn't work.

Does it need to be in a different directory?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro