Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The comments are mainly asking what it is, or saying something but with a question mark. Is it for backing up your NAND?
I do believe that he has a 100% bootloader/nand backup

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what i'm getting from the comment on twitter from tihmstar is that this guy has full bootloader unlocked (if i'm understandiing that right that means cfw/ hacks now will be untethered) the guy who posted the pic naehrwert posted I told you to wait like the other guy got it right then the other guy posted that he had not started on any projects yet. So looks like this is something new new and big. I may not be right on any of this as i am half a sleep right now reading this shit.

Last edited by leerpsp,

Tiwaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What an amazing progress the Switch hackers made so far! I'm amazed that hackers and developers over the world succeed every time in hacking consoles an enable homebrew to a certain degree! Keep up the good work :) !

I've got an Switch currently on firmware 4.1.0 so I'm waiting patiently for Atmosphere to come out when its ready.
I'm not sure though if I stay on this firmware, since the moment I've decided to block Switch updates I used my Switch less and less because all the games I had I've already completed. There are new interesting games I want to play like Celeste, but it's eShop only which I can't download right now because of the lower firmware.

I know nobody can look into the future and there are people that have enough funds to buy a secondary switch just for homenbrew, I don't.
What are the odds that when Atmosphere-NX comes out we can buy games from the eShop again, even on lower firmware?
I want homebrew on my Switch, mainly for emulators but also want to purchases games in the future though legit channels like the eShop.

If there isn't an answer on this question at this time in the development cycle I understand.

Reactions: horokeusama

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With fusee gelee now out in the open, unless im mistaken Atmosphere can now be compiled to work for even the latest firmares, not just 4.1. I guess its just a matter of time :P.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With fusee gelee now out in the open, unless im mistaken Atmosphere can now be compiled to work for even the latest firmares, not just 4.1. I guess its just a matter of time :P.
Uh...Atmosphere was always designed to work on all firmwares. Although that feels weird because its literally done not yet so it doesn't work on any firmware at the moment, but once its implemented, everyone will have access to it because Fusee Gelee works on all current Switch models.

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in saying that in order to use a hacked Switch when docked we'll need Atmosphere? (we'll also need JoyCon support of course).

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Uh...Atmosphere was always designed to work on all firmwares. Although that feels weird because its literally done not yet so it doesn't work on any firmware at the moment, but once its implemented, everyone will have access to it because Fusee Gelee works on all current Switch models.

Um doesn't atmosphere work to some degree on 3.0 already?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um doesn't atmosphere work to some degree on 3.0 already?
Atmosphere is a work-in-progress CFW for the Switch. No one can use it yet, not even the creator himself. If you go back to the first post, you can see the code for it being built in the GitHub daily. Not sure where you got the idea that its implemented on 3.0. Perhaps you're mixing it up with another piece of homebrew such as Pegaswitch?

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is 3.0.0 a tethered or untethered exploit?
as far as we know atmossphere will always rely on rcm, the onyl difference is how you can enter rcm.

Hence why the ps3 fail and private key findings was so epic :D
EDIT: Too slow to post :(
you know what even funnier about it? they even stored the psp keys on the ps3 for a woking never released psp emu xD

You sir are technically correct. "The best kind of correct." But again, "yet." Where computing stands right now we couldn't hash them. Doesn't mean things won't change where we don't need to or some other unforeseeable factor.

Edit: Not for nothing, there exists nothing on a computer that it 100% "True" randomization. That's why PGP adds human input for added entropy.
alas once quantum computer are mainstream all current keys will be no problem but after that point the key side of thinks will evolve too. But until that happens the switch and ps4 will be already realyl outdated.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I right in saying that in order to use a hacked Switch when docked we'll need Atmosphere? (we'll also need JoyCon support of course).
You don't necessarily need the Joy-Con for the hack. The reason people use the right Joy-Con is because of the tenth pin which is known as the "secret home button". However, that pin is also located on the right side of the Switch within the Joy-Con rail that the Joy-Con connects to.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
No the joycon / coldboot hack is only used to INSTALL the CFW. Once it's running it can be used as normal. Docked undocked etc.
Wrong. For the forseeable future, part of the RCM hack will have to be executed every time the console is restarted or booted (it survives standby). CFW will not change that on its own.

People are working to remove the "you also have to be connected via USB to a powered device" restriction, but the RCM hack (controller rail short pin 10 method) is here to stay for at least the mid term to be used on every boot.

Solutions that would launch RCM "from software" eventually could/will be available for (1.0.0), 3.0.0 and 4.1.0 - but they might take longer to reach RCM than the controller rail dongle method. (Boot into the normal OFW, run an exploit there, that launches RCM, that launches the CFW, ...)

A real software based coldboot method (no dongle required, quickly into CFW after boot) is most likely to surface on 1.0.0 (only), no ETA.

edit: Also - there is the option to permanently short pin 10 (which might make the controller only ever work as a BT controller - but with the ability to charge it from the switch (there have been reports), internally - which would prevent you from having to use the dongle thingy - but besides the already named downside, there are also substantiated worries, that N might be able to detect a "always shortened pin 10" and be able to ban those people. (A chip with more smarts to short, but then "unshort" after a few seconds might be a solution - but thats neither "softmod" nor "hardware assisted", thats a hardmod.. ;) ) So a bunch of potential issues are still a little up in the air - which is why the "so I can haz update now?!" question is best not answered right now.

About two months from now (give them time for delays that might pop up :) ) we should know more.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Assasin1990

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. For the forseeable future, part of the RCM hack will have to be executed every time the console is restarted or booted (it survives standby). CFW will not change that on its own.

People are working to remove the "you also have to be connected via USB to a powered device" restriction, but the RCM hack (controller rail short pin 10 method) is here to stay for at least the mid term to be used on every boot.

Solutions that would launch RCM "from software" eventually could/will be available for (1.0.0), 3.0.0 and 4.1.0 - but they might take longer to reach RCM than the controller rail dongle method. (Boot into the normal OFW, run an exploit there, that launches RCM, that launches the CFW, ...)

A real software based coldboot method (no dongle required, quickly into CFW after boot) is most likely to surface on 1.0.0 (only), no ETA.

edit: Also - there is the option to permanently short pin 10 (which might make the controller only ever work as a BT controller - but with the ability to charge it from the switch (there have been reports), internally - which would prevent you from having to use the dongle thingy - but besides the already named downside, there are also substantiated worries, that N might be able to detect a "always shortened pin 10" and be able to ban those people. (A chip with more smarts to short, but then "unshort" after a few seconds might be a solution - but thats neither "softmod" nor "hardware assisted", thats a hardmod.. ;) ) So a bunch of potential issues are still a little up in the air - which is why the "so I can haz update now?!" question is best not answered right now.

About two months from now (give them time for delays that might pop up :) ) we should know more.
Or you could do what I did and install a Reed switch into the joycon that shorts pin 10 only when a magnet is present.

Reactions: Zulnoth

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't necessarily need the Joy-Con for the hack. The reason people use the right Joy-Con is because of the tenth pin which is known as the "secret home button". However, that pin is also located on the right side of the Switch within the Joy-Con rail that the Joy-Con connects to.

Thanks, but I was mainly referring to using a hacked Switch in the dock (for displaying the output on a TV or monitor) - I haven't hacked my Switch but am assuming that if I had there would be no output if it's docked until Atmosphere is released, in other words the hack is currently for handheld mode only.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, but I was mainly referring to using a hacked Switch in the dock (for displaying the output on a TV or monitor) - I haven't hacked my Switch but am assuming that if I had there would be no output if it's docked until Atmosphere is released, in other words the hack is currently for handheld mode only.
OK, now I get what you're saying. To boot payloads onto the Switch, it physically needs to be undocked because docking it involves using its USB port. Once Atmosphere comes out, we'll be able to connect with the Switch in multiple ways. So, yeah at the moment, the hack is pretty much handheld alone.

Reactions: WadsRUs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The super hero team from hell lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Throw in Dahmer to hide the evidence
    Token white guy lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dahmer can be slim shady
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alright guys just let me talk to the cop
    +1
    Made mom into spaghetti, I'm hungry already
    +1
    I wish I could animate something like this stuff probably get like 2 million YouTube views lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And a few lawsuits
    Probably lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eminem sued me all I did was say he was a cannibal molestor
    Rotflmao
    R Kelly dropped the lawsuit after I let him pee on me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your honor he thinks he has white privilege
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If you rap it, its freedom of speech
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gray zone warfare looks kinda cool
    Ohhh on one episode they could use rings to summon Captain Criminal who is just Obama like a spoof of Captain Planet lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does look good
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's a far cry from it