BSNES -> Higan v092 Released

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The library import function takes zip files now, the site says.
when you import a zipped game, it is saved unzipped. I don't understand why he insists on using the import function and having a copy of the game saved else where when he could just ROMs the converter on all runs before loading into memory.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
when you import a zipped game, it is saved unzipped. I don't understand why he insists on using the import function and having a copy of the game saved else where when he could just ROMs the converter on all runs before loading into memory.
'Cause for some games more data is going to be stored than just the contents of the ROM chip. Just holding the ROM as a single file works for most games, but most is not all, and BSNES wants full compatibility, including addon things.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Cause for some games more data is going to be stored than just the contents of the ROM chip. Just holding the ROM as a single file works for most games, but most is not all, and BSNES wants full compatibility, including addon things.
the special chips roms? instead of having 10-20 copies of the same files why not just have 1 copy for each in Super Famicom.sys

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
the special chips roms? instead of having 10-20 copies of the same files why not just have 1 copy for each in Super Famicom.sys
I think that's how it goes, but I was also talking about special carts like Sufami Turbo and the BS Satellaview or whatever the hell.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
purify v03 released

purify v03 has been uploaded. It can be used to import your entire game library into higan's library in one pass. This version will also update previous XML-based game folders to higan's BML-based game folders.

With purify, you now have three ways to use higan:

First, exactly like other emulators: choose Load->Import and select which game file or ZIP archive you wish to play. It will load any file type regardless of extension or presence of headers. You can keep using Load->Import to play the same games over and over, and it will keep your saves intact. Treat it as if it says File->Load. You can also associate your ROM files with higan, and load them directly.

Second, in personalized library mode: choose Load->Import to pull in the games you want to play into higan's library, and then use Load->System from then on to play the games you want to.

Third, in complete library mode: use purify and import every game in your collection. Afterward, use higan's Load->System exclusively.

It seems few people realize the first step is possible. Yes, higan will load any file or ZIP archive. Just like every other emulator. And you can use it like that and completely ignore game folders and libraries entirely if you want. I would greatly appreciate if others could help dispel the rampant misinformation around game folders showing up on every other forum about this. I can't keep up with it myself.
http://code.google.com/p/higan/downloads/list

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
So is there any reason to run this over zSnes? Which games run better/more authentic in bSNES/Higan?
Kinda reluctant to trying it out as someone wrote earlier in this thread that there is even audio stutter on a core i7 which ran at 3.1ghz.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So is there any reason to run this over zSnes? Which games run better/more authentic in bSNES/Higan?
Kinda reluctant to trying it out as someone wrote earlier in this thread that there is even audio stutter on a core i7 which ran at 3.1ghz.
Look at the bug/compatibility list for any other emulator. Then note that BSNES has full game compatibility. So... like, everything?

I'm on a Core 2 Quad and didn't notice any stutter in Super Mario RPG.

But if you even notice a difference depends on if you're familiar with the original cart/game on an actual SNES or not, and SNES9x is a step up for compatibility without the high specs requirement.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Actually I downloaded Retro Arch a day ago or so. It runs bSNES under the hood if you wanna :D
Tho I haven't tried snes emulation on it yet.

On a side note, I'm very much of authentity. I bought a HD Upscaler for 300 euro and a 100 euro HD game recorder. Really really looking forwards playing my old consoles upscaled beautifully on my HDTV. :D
I should get my hands on a japanese SNES or american SNES cause they run games slightly faster than the PAL ones does, RIGHT? It's atleast the fact with NES games.
I'm playing my Blue Shadow (Shadow of the Ninja) PAL on my Sharp Twin Famicom and that game runs super lightning fast :) I wonder if it's actually this fast on the US/JAP systems :D

andyG333

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I can't seem to get the GBA to work. Although I have placed the BIOS in the GBA.sys folder , and renamed it bios.rom and then just bios , like the site says, higan still says Im missing the bios.rom file. Ive used this bios before for other emulators, any ideas?

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually I downloaded Retro Arch a day ago or so. It runs bSNES under the hood if you wanna :D
Tho I haven't tried snes emulation on it yet.

On a side note, I'm very much of authentity. I bought a HD Upscaler for 300 euro and a 100 euro HD game recorder. Really really looking forwards playing my old consoles upscaled beautifully on my HDTV. :D
I should get my hands on a japanese SNES or american SNES cause they run games slightly faster than the PAL ones does, RIGHT? It's atleast the fact with NES games.
I'm playing my Blue Shadow (Shadow of the Ninja) PAL on my Sharp Twin Famicom and that game runs super lightning fast :) I wonder if it's actually this fast on the US/JAP systems :D

Running PAL games on an NTSC system will result in weird behaviour regardless. Some games will just run happily at 60fps and thus their original intended speed others will completely shit themselves and go super fast (PAL Mario Kart for example.)

Normally though PAL region games run at 5/6ths of their originally intended speed due to lazy ports to 50hz. This is true all the way to the PS1/N64 and possibly further. Some N64 games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are hilariously bad examples considering they were speed limited on PAL to less than 18fps when the originals were only 20fps anyway.

Reactions: Elrinth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom