BSNES -> Higan v092 Released

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, an attempt to show that two voices are not representative of the project byuu is working towards. Although, as of late, your jabbing remarks show that you're less interested in the discussion, as much as taking things on a personal level. Perhaps it were better you step outside of the situation altogether.

But, as I said, I searched by your name and found nothing. You can easily tell us the exact place you posted the thread, as well as the title, and we can go and find it. But as Rydian said, you actions seem to suggest an incapability to own up to your claims, and where you cannot, you've instead opted to target the questioners. Remember that most of us probably don't care about you--we're more interested in what you've said, and whether that was true. The person behind it is wholly irrelevant.

As well: all over the internet, you are not. Google has biased search results, but it should have easily captured several other forums you post at as miscellaneous results. At least my handle does, all at the several forums I've posted at before.

.-.

Reactions: Rydian and Sterling

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, an attempt to show that two voices are not representative of the project byuu is working towards. Although, as of late, your jabbing remarks show that you're less interested in the discussion, as much as taking things on a personal level. Perhaps it were better you step outside of the situation altogether.

But, as I said, I searched by your name and found nothing. You can easily tell us the exact place you posted the thread, as well as the title, and we can go and find it. But as Rydian said, you actions seem to suggest an incapability to own up to your claims, and where you cannot, you've instead opted to target the questioners. Remember that most of us probably don't care about you--we're more interested in what you've said, and whether that was true. The person behind it is wholly irrelevant.
Number one, I judged byuu, as he judged me...fair. The irony in this whole situation is you and Rydian care more than I could have ever imagined. I stated that the emulator was crap, based upon my specs. I also stated that I believe that optimization, without sacrificing accuracy, is the issue. I didn't bring this to some long drawn out personal crusade. If his emulator is loved and people openly talk positive about it, that's great. I had a bad experience on byuu.org and spoke of my experience, BUT I didn't just state that! I shared my specs, issues with the emulator, AND my personal experience. This is where your view/opinion falls apart. Honestly, I know I am surrounded by people who want the last word, people who will fight dirty, and people who will misconstrue my posts/words in an attempt at belittling me, all in the name of a personal victory. This is sad, pathetic, and unwarranted. I have said what happened, now get over it...find something to do. Is your life so meaningless that you spend it looking up someone post, who you have openly stated you don't care about? Absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Number one, I judged byuu, as he judged me...fair. The irony in this whole situation is you and Rydian care more than I could have ever imagined. I stated that the emulator was crap, based upon my specs. I also stated that I believe that optimization, without sacrificing accuracy, is the issue. I didn't bring this to some long drawn out personal crusade. If his emulator is loved and people openly talk positive about it, that's great. I had a bad experience on byuu.org and spoke of my experience, BUT I didn't just state that! I shared my specs, issues with the emulator, AND my personal experience. This is where your view/opinion falls apart. Honestly, I know I am surrounded by people who want the last word, people who will fight dirty, and people who will misconstrue my posts/words in an attempt at belittling me, all in the name of a personal victory. This is sad, pathetic, and unwarranted. I have said what happened, now get over it...find something to do. Is your life so meaningless that you spend it looking up someone post, who you have openly stated you don't care about? Absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
We wished to see the post so we could see whether of not you deserved to get the shaft. As soon as you said:

I went on byuu forums and asked about the horrible speed issues and I was banned, by the next day! Dude is a prick! There you go Rydian...I took the bait on the last free pass.
For reference, my computer is a year old and HiLAME's audio crackles, video stutters, and I'm running an AMD Phenom Triple Core 2.3 GHz processor. I think it's the coder...

That's when your argument fell apart. You don't seem to have any idea what the emulator is all about and why it runs like poop on your machine. If you had asked nicely to get help speeding it up and getting rid of the audio crackle I'm sure you'd be fine right now. Instead you decided to be an asshat and try the guy's patience (by both insulting him and his work). As both a writer and a programmer constructive criticism is the most important feedback. Baseless criticism (stuff I cannot use to improve my work upon) is ignored and marked on my list of people to never listen to.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We wished to see the post so we could see whether of not you deserved to get the shaft. As soon as you said:
That's when your argument fell apart. You don't seem to have any idea what the emulator is all about and why it runs like poop on your machine. If you had asked nicely to get help speeding it up and getting rid of the audio crackle I'm sure you'd be fine right now. Instead you decided to be an asshat and try the guy's patience (by both insulting him and his work). As both a writer and a programmer constructive criticism is the most important feedback. Baseless criticism (stuff I cannot use to improve my work upon) is ignored and marked on my list of people to never listen to.
Sterling there you go again, thinking you are the only programmer, and conveying that since you program, you are some high authority. Do you think that way? Do you think coding is the world's toughest profession? We both know that it is not. Regarding Higan, the audio crackles can be eliminated without speaking to byuu for help, he even put out the performance edition to address the problems. Sterling, if you like byuu and Higan, that's great. I'm not going to write a SNES emulator, and I don't have time to fix his. I don't know what else to tell you...that I haven't already told you. I wish byuu luck and I hope other people find enjoyment with all the time he has put into his creation, and that is all. :)

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling there you go again, thinking you are the only programmer, and conveying that since you program, you are some high authority. Do you think that way? Do you think coding is the world's toughest profession? We both know that it is not. Regarding Higan, the audio crackles can be eliminated without speaking to byuu for help, he even put out the performance edition to address the problems. Sterling, if you like byuu and Higan, that's great. I'm not going to write a SNES emulator, and I don't have time to fix his. I don't know what else to tell you...that I haven't already told you. I wish byuu luck and I hope other people find enjoyment with all the time he has put into his creation, and that is all. :)
I'm not particularly fond of either of them. Don't make assumptions on my preferences and know how as you will be wrong.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this version still dumb and refuses to load .SMC ??
It's not THAT hard to convert the format. I don't see anything wrong with SFC format, it's how the ROMs were supposed to be dumped but instead some dingbat way back when didn't care about the extracted files' state. SFC dumps are clean, SMC dumps are s**t.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
About the ROM cleaning, this should be done on the fly. I don't like the idea of having to unzip my entire collection to play them.
The library import function takes zip files now, the site says.

Anake's separate from Higan, which is why Byuu doesn't mind zip support and such in it, since it'll just clean up the ROMs to acceptable states (deinterleaved, no headers, etc.) upon import so BSNES only deals with the raw files, since Byuu knows most people are using tweaked-out ROM sets anyways.

Is this version still dumb and refuses to load .SMC ??
http://byuu.org/articles/bsnes-future
Might want to read that to see why it won't load them. SMC is not actually a single valid ROM format, it's just an extension that SNES ROMs tend to use.

Anyways this emulator will import all your existing ROMs (unless you're healing with a block-compressed 7-zip file, in which case god help you).

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The library import function takes zip files now, the site says.

Anake's separate from Higan, which is why Byuu doesn't mind zip support and such in it, since it'll just clean up the ROMs to acceptable states (deinterleaved, no headers, etc.) upon import so BSNES only deals with the raw files, since Byuu knows most people are using tweaked-out ROM sets anyways.

http://byuu.org/articles/bsnes-future
Might want to read that to see why it won't load them. SMC is not actually a single valid ROM format, it's just an extension that SNES ROMs tend to use.

Anyways this emulator will import all your existing ROMs (unless you're healing with a block-compressed 7-zip file, in which case god help you).

I did a whiiile ago. I still find it dumb

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Because you're too damn lazy to take the time to convert the ROM files?

His goal is utopic, he will not be able to get rid of all those file formats. I have been emulating SNES since I was 5 and nobody has changed, I still see .bin, .smc, .1 .2..., .fig etc. Inf act, I have barely seen more than 5 .sfc roms on my lifetime.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Celice

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His goal is utopic, he will not be able to get rid of all those file formats. I have been emulating SNES since I was 5 and nobody has changed, I still see .bin, .smc, .1 .2..., .fig etc. Inf act, I have barely seen more than 5 .sfc roms on my lifetime.

Those dumps aren't correct and have many issues and instabilities, there are programs that convert the format. But if you don't want to use it, that's your problem.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Can't fault a person for trying to make the world a little better, in their own way :)
Good ideas can often take the longest to catch on. We need an alternative to 'goodSNES' using his format, that would really help adoption.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The goal isn't to get rid of the older files, but to make sure that only the correct ones are used in emulators.

That's why he bought every single USA SNES game to scan and dump himself, to make sure the dumps are proper. For example one of the main Earthbound ROMs that you can find has AP patched out and such... unlike the DS, many SNES games were distributed already-patched (patched after dumping), so getting proper copies of the originals is hard.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The goal isn't to get rid of the older files, but to make sure that only the correct ones are used in emulators.

That's why he bought every single USA SNES game to scan and dump himself, to make sure the dumps are proper. For example one of the main Earthbound ROMs that you can find has AP patched out and such... unlike the DS, many SNES games were distributed already-patched (patched after dumping), so getting proper copies of the originals is hard.

Oh yes, the version of Earthbound that had the anti-piracy algorithm increased the enemy sprites and locked up right as you fought the last boss. Byuu and I may have our differences, but I'm not going to call him out for doing things differently anymore, it's not worth me getting upset over it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I have bunch of pi's. I even have a 5 in my arcade cab already, (Retropie)