BSNES -> Higan v092 Released

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow, the negativity here is depressing.
There are other options if you do not like the focus of this particular emulator.

I for one love BSNES, the ideal of accuracy behind it, and the positive effect Byuu's focus on accuracy has had for the SNES emulation community even if you don't use his emulator.
Huge thanks and much respect to him for his great work in the face of some rather disrespectful reception.

While the ROM cleaning/loading may be non standard, if you actually read the rationale behind the concept surely you can at least respect its merits, even if you yourself choose to not use it.

Reactions: Celice and Minox

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - Because "Library -> Import Game" is so "convoluted"! Jesus Fucking Christ™ what will emulators ask of us next, clicking "File -> Load ROM"? I mean yeah it's the same number of clicks but the words changed, lord help us nobody will ever figure it out even though it's in the user guide and everything!

It is wasting space. I check 3 different roms and they all were 1:1 match of the one it "converted". all it is doing is copying the rom to romname/program.rom

Also the sustained sound when you are going in to the options, it is really annoying.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"It's cool I don't want you all to see how I actually acted because then you'll know I was lying"?

You're on GBAtemp, I'm the top poster here, and I don't tolerate bullshit, haven't you learned that yet? :P Say something suspicious or start lying, and I WILL call you on it if I notice.
Wait, are you joking, or are you being serious? I'm unclear... Are you saying I'm lying? Are you saying I have something to hide?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It is wasting space. I check 3 different roms and they all where 1:1 match of the one it "converted". all it is doing is copying the rom to romname/program.rom
That's for normal ROMs that were just the ROM chip and SRAM (as far as emulation is mainly concerned), other games need the other chips and info, and the folder structure will also hold other things like the manual and PCB scan.

Also on a more technical level it strips the headers and deinterleaves and all that junk that SnesPurify.exe used to do.

Also the sustained sound when you are going in to the options, it is really annoying.
Yeah, could definitely use a fix for that.

Wait, are you joking, or are you being serious? I'm unclear... Are you saying I'm lying? Are you saying I have something to hide?
That's exactly what your actions suggest, yes. You came in with a claim, and have, multiple times, refused to actually link to it.

I don't feel like doing a whole song-and-dance with you, which is why I'm calling you on it early.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is wasting space. I check 3 different roms and they all were 1:1 match of the one it "converted". all it is doing is copying the rom to romname/program.rom

That would most likely be due to those ROMS used already being clean dumps. Many ROMS out there are not and in these instances the copied ROM will differ (and be superior in terms of compatibility and long term preservation of the SNES).

The guy has written (and given away for free) the most accurate SNES emulator out there, AND bought every NA SNES cart and clean dumped them himself. We can safely say he understands these concepts better than the rest of us. Understanding something really well and sharing the same exact goals as others regarding it are 2 separate things.

He wrote the frontend to automatically clean the ROMS as an attempt to please those who complained when it only ran clean dumps directly. His goals and methodology are his own and if they dont match with yours that does not make him wrong or devalue his work. If you don't like the emu, use SNES9x (which itself has benefited from byuu's dedication), no need to bash his fine work.

It seriously saddens me when such a valuable contribution to the emulation scene is just pointlessly bashed because it does not meet some peoples personal concept of 'the best snes emu'.
There's a difference between constructive criticism and just plain complaining. It's free, you're under no obligation to use it, and there are alternatives with a different focus FFS.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes son, I can tell you. You don't have a core i7. you have a core i7 mobile; chipsets primarily optimized for space and heat output conservation.
Let's clear something up while we're at it. There's nothing special about the i7. It's a nice little scam by Intel that you bought into. An i7 is more or less exactly the same processor as its equivalent i5. The difference is, the i7 has a factory overclock and the i5 is locked out of hyperthreading.

Mobile processors have impressed me recently with their capabilities. But they're still extremely limited, and cannot in any way be compared to desktop processors, even if they have the same brand name.

Still better than my desktop at home, even so, it's no excuse for Higan not to run without audio crackling. It's pretty damn asinine if a Core i5/i7 can't run Higan without getting said issues. I know what the difference is, I'm not an idiot, I bought the laptop because it was a good price.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So do you not want to do that troubleshooting because you're busy right now, or do you not want to do it because then there's the chance it's actually just a minor problem on your end, which would remove one of your reasons for bitching about it?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian, I welcome you to publicly place what I wrote if you want, but I'm sure few people would give a damn. Rydian, I'm much too old to care, and most likely too old to even post on gbatemp. Byuu didn't like what I said, but I suppose I was singled out. According to the article Another World posted a link to, he gets negative feedback on his emulator routinely, and you can tell by his choice of words that he dislikes it strongly. Now what I do have is the email I wrote him 10-24-2012...Paraphrased, "I've only visited your website twice, and I think I'm banned, so there must be a mistake or something...". Which, if you believe what I say, shows that I was not really rude....otherwise I would have never wrote him. I never received a response to my e-mail.
It isn't constructive criticism if he's well aware his emulator has speed issues. There is literally nothing he can do to speed up his brand of emulation on under powered machines. At this point I think it's safe to say that anything you said on his forum has probably already been said multiple times.

Reactions: Count Duckula

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would most likely be due to those ROMS used already being clean dumps. Many ROMS out there are not and in these instances the copied ROM will differ (and be superior in terms of compatibility and long term preservation of the SNES).

The guy has written (and given away for free) the most accurate SNES emulator out there, AND bought every NA SNES cart and clean dumped them himself. We can safely say he understands these concepts better than the rest of us. Understanding something really well and sharing the same exact goals as others regarding it are 2 separate things.

He wrote the frontend to automatically clean the ROMS as an attempt to please those who complained when it only ran clean dumps directly. His goals and methodology are his own and if they dont match with yours that does not make him wrong or devalue his work. If you don't like the emu, use SNES9x (which itself has benefited from byuu's dedication), no need to bash his fine work.

It seriously saddens me when such a valuable contribution to the emulation scene is just pointlessly bashed because it does not meet some peoples personal concept of 'the best snes emu'.
There's a difference between constructive criticism and just plain complaining. It's free, you're under no obligation to use it, and there are alternatives with a different focus FFS.

Don't get me wrong, I think its awesome how accurate this emulator is. I always believed that accuracy is more important than speed because eventually computers will become faster and the speed will improve over time. About the ROM cleaning, this should be done on the fly. I don't like the idea of having to unzip my entire collection to play them.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do you not want to do that troubleshooting because you're busy right now, or do you not want to do it because then there's the chance it's actually just a minor problem on your end, which would remove one of your reasons for bitching about it?
Nah, I've always been taught not to make promises I'm incapable of keeping. Fine, I'll run some troubleshooting tests and post the results gladly. Of course we all know that if I post my test results, nothing but ridicule will result from me having a seemingly low-end machine when compared to other users on here and receiving accusations of being a noob for not knowing anything about how emulators work.
It's amazing how many times you can make pretty much the exact same post. Nice postcount+1 dude!

I know right? I should give myself a gold medal!

Edit 9:32 AM - Just tried Higan 092 performance (set audio at 32 KHz because it sounds better). Holy hell, this make my CPU run hot, I just reached 82 f***ing Celsius when under load, and this is WITH a cooler, and the crackling persists still. To hell with this, I'm not using it.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I've always been taught not to make promises I'm incapable of keeping. Fine, I'll run some troubleshooting tests and post the results gladly. Of course we all know that if I post my test results, nothing but ridicule will result from me having a seemingly low-end machine when compared to other users on here and receiving accusations of being a noob for not knowing anything about how emulators work.

I know right? I should give myself a gold medal!

Edit 9:32 AM - Just tried Higan 092 performance (set audio at 32 KHz because it sounds better). Holy hell, this make my CPU run hot, I just reached 82 f***ing Celsius when under load, and this is WITH a cooler, and the crackling persists still. To hell with this, I'm not using it.

are you running at 60 fps? I found that the audio issues come into play when ever the game is not at 60 fps

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So your computer not having proper cooling is somehow Higan's fault? Higan is just using the resources given to it, it does not control how hot your computer becomes.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what your actions suggest, yes. You came in with a claim, and have, multiple times, refused to actually link to it.
I don't feel like doing a whole song-and-dance with you, which is why I'm calling you on it early.
I have not refused. I have told you multiple times that I can't recover the post but YOU are more than welcome to do so yourself. What part of banned, and I'm not going to disrespect the ban, don't you seem to understand? You seem to be doing another one of your conspiracy theories where you post your opinions, and this is one of the reasons why you have so many posts on this website. The other reason is you answer almost every "Which flashcard is the best," or "Which flashcard should I buy" thread. This doesn't make you qualified to predict other people's actions, especially in a situation that you weren't even privy too. Rydian you don't know half as much as you think you do. I have seen you approach numerous people on this website with a questionable attitude. Your behavior has been quite hostile, at times, on topics that carry very little importance. The questionable aspect, in my mind, is you have been left to your own devices because of membership numbers (speculating here, I know). On many other moderated websites, you couldn't exhibit the same behavior, or you would be suspended, and eventually banned. You must be in the right place. Your predictability is quite easy to gauge, in fact, you will not be able to stop yourself from quoting my response, breaking it into multiple pieces...because anyone that has had the pleasure of being around you, knows that you like to hit beneath the belt as many times as you possibly can. But anyways, "I don't feel like doing a whole song-and-dance with you, which is why I'm calling you on it early." :cry:

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's a bit pathetic. For what it's worth, I tried searching for your post on byuu's forum initially and found nothing. You don't need to be a registered member to locate the thread or post, as the forums are open to anonymous users, as far as I found.

The "cannot" in this case is a willful choice to do not, considering the capability to find your post isn't taken away from you.

You know, for all the pages you've said you're done with this, you keep coming back. Perhaps it's not only your computer that can't handle the emulator.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's a bit pathetic. For what it's worth, I tried searching for your post on byuu's forum initially and found nothing. You don't need to be a registered member to locate the thread or post, as the forums are open to anonymous users, as far as I found.
The "cannot" in this case is a willful choice to do not, considering the capability to find your post isn't taken away from you.
You know, for all the pages you've said you're done with this, you keep coming back. Perhaps it's not only your computer that can't handle the emulator.
I am IP banned, and have a persistent IP address. Celice, do you know anything about networks? I've already openly invited any person to find my post and share it, if someone wants to split toothpicks. I was registered under the same username at byuu.org. I'm all over the internet with the same username, albeit a few forums.
Now to address your question, I have an issue with people who think they know more than they do, this now includes you. It appears you need to read up on IP bans, and how they work. Obviously, it's my "willful choice to not" disrespect byuu's wishes. I can use a proxy, I know, but I'm not going to...and that doesn't make me a liar, you nitwit; it makes me respectful of another person's wishes.
Who do you think you are exactly? Why do you post saying the_randomizer is acting in some kind of schizophrenic manner? He appears to be communicating about his troubles with an emulator, period. Why don't you post when you have something that adds to this community, instead of dropping your random observances in space reserved for people who know how to think properly. Answer one question for me, did your post add to the discussion in any manner...besides judging people?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: And has she put her boob away yet?