Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II will use the same controversial phone requirement system as Overwatch 2

new_era-mw2.jpg

Overwatch 2 found itself in the midst of controversy--not just because of the multiple DDoS attacks it suffered on launch--when it decided to force players to use a phone number to verify their account. The game uses a 2-factor authentication system called SMS Protect, which in theory is designed to prevent disruptive behavior, but in doing so also limits what types of phone numbers are accepted: prepaid phone plans and VOIP numbers are blocked. This led to a lot of outcry from fans, to the point that Blizzard had to partially walk back some of the restrictions, though it still requires having an aged Battle.net account.

Now, with all the ensuing drama regarding the SMS Protect restrictions, Activision Blizzard is going right ahead and implementing it yet again, in the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. A new FAQ page for Battle.net details that in order to access Modern Warfare II at all, you'll need a phone number, and once more, VOIP services and WhatsApp will not work, while prepaid phone numbers "may not work".

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look on the bright side, they're not hiding their intentions anymore.

Own a game! Hah!
Have privacy? Hah!
Post automatically merged:

Waah waah waah I don't want to give up my phone number, I just want to grief and troll people online waah waah waah.
Is trolling even as good as it was back then? I used to play MW2 online on the 360 and I'd laugh at the comments I'd hear from others. Today's kids have no idea what online gaming with voice chat was like.

This isn't about keeping "trolls" out.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't sms not the safest option? personally it just sounds like they want better tracking of their players, and more data to sell.

now if they had some sort of data which showed this sort of thing would likely produce results, then more data which verified it...probably not even then. there are better ways. either lazy or sleazy, but probably a mix of both.

Reactions: felix.200

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't sms not the safest option? personally it just sounds like they want better tracking of their players, and more data to sell.
Email verification is very safe, too. And this is just a game, not a banking account.

SMS texts are indeed safer in terms of a comparison, it's like 2FA codes.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Email verification is very safe, too. And this is just a game, not a banking account.

SMS texts are indeed safer in terms of a comparison, it's like 2FA codes.
If they are so worried about safety and just verifying users

They could probably implement a system using one of the million already available 2FA authentication app’s available. At least that option should be available for most devices and free

But like others have mentioned for a $70 game(any game that’s not free really) this shouldn’t even be considered imo

tsam2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Some CEO must be into sadomasochism and likes to be taunted. There's no other logical explanation for this.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work