ΔLaunch early build officially released

@Reisyukaku's ΔLaunch has officially released a ΔLaunch early build together with ReiNX 2.3!

We've already covered this project in its first development stages in a previous news post, however, if you need a quick refresher, ΔLaunch is Home Menu replacement for the Nintendo Switch. It replaces the qlaunch process of the Switch's OS, which handles the Home Menu as well as a few applets, such as the news and system settings. Most of its appearance can be customized by editing an INI file on the SD card: not only this will allow for easily installable and distributable themes without relying on custom formats, but you can also edit the various elements' position and layout effortlessly! Several background layers are supported and, for those who want a fresh new look for their system, a PS4-style aesthetic is also available. Last, but not least, you won't have to worry about removing and reinstalling the themes after a system update, as ΔLaunch effective overrides the firmware's system menu! However, some of the previously announced features are missing or in a non-working state in this early build, such as folder support and the web browser icon.

As previously mentioned, ΔLaunch is available as an optional sysmodule with the latest version of ReiNX (2.3). The project is still very much a work in progress, so there could be unexpected bugs and issues. If you want to try it, a link to its GitHub's release page can be found in the sources below. Keep in mind there may be untrustworthy builds floating around the internet due to an unauthorized source leak that happened earlier today, so users are advised to only download officially released builds from its repo.

- This news thread is about the homebrew's official release. Please avoid discussing its source leak or the events leading up to it in the comments below. -

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Official thread

Attachments

• delta_square.png
    delta_square.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by RattletraPM,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
This sort of behavior hurts the scene in general. There where several people that just stopped working on 3DS/Wii U stuff because of people breaking into their stuff/leaking unfinished projects.

That is what I meant by this.
Nobody broke or leaked anything. Rei just had the repo public and it got indexed by Google and someone found it.

If anyone's to blame it's rei himself.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can't wait for this to come to ams. Seriously rei, now you're playing TX games (only available for reinx)?

People complain reinx is a clone then rei makes something unique for reinx and people complain?

Apparently, scires was against the use of the leaked source code.

I mean if you find that you can change the source but it won't be supported by the reinx helpers and stuff. Not to mention this is a extremely early alpha

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the first time ReiNX has had an exclusive feature in quite a while. Why can't everyone just let them enjoy it and wait for the inevitable atmosphere version in silence?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is the first time ReiNX has had an exclusive feature in quite a while. Why can't everyone just let them enjoy it and wait for the inevitable atmosphere version in silence?
You are asking a lot to a bunch of impatient and spoiled children over here. There will always be people complaining regardless.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

Likely because this sort of feature is not what atmosphere is about. Atmosphere is minimalist and won't replace something with something else that isn't functionally and behaviorally equivalent.

Nobody broke or leaked anything. Rei just had the repo public and it got indexed by Google and someone found it.

If anyone's to blame it's rei himself.

Specifically, the problem is that Rei placed a GPL license in the repo. He'd need to prove that he never intended to license anything under GPL. The code was released to Patreon backers with the license, so the whole "Trade Secret" stuff in the GPL is irrelevant; his backers were licensed the code under the GPL and have the right to exercise the rights conveyed.

If some random joe schmoe from the internet cloned it due to google indexing, then it might fall under not being properly licensed if he can prove that the repo being public was a misconfiguration. But if a Patreon backer who was licensed pointed someone else to the repo, they're also licensed to use the code.

Aside from that, this calls to mind how GRSecurity releases their patchset; you pay, you get the GPL patches, but if you release them your contract gets revoked and you'll receive no future patches. It's the same sort of thing here.

Either way, Rei doesn't have to give any customer support to people utilizing leaked code.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Likely because this sort of feature is not what atmosphere is about. Atmosphere is minimalist and won't replace something with something else that isn't functionally and behaviorally equivalent.

Specifically, the problem is that Rei placed a GPL license in the repo. He'd need to prove that he never intended to license anything under GPL. The code was released to Patreon backers with the license, so the whole "Trade Secret" stuff in the GPL is irrelevant; his backers were licensed the code under the GPL and have the right to exercise the rights conveyed.

If some random joe schmoe from the internet cloned it due to google indexing, then it might fall under not being properly licensed if he can prove that the repo being public was a misconfiguration. But if a Patreon backer who was licensed pointed someone else to the repo, they're also licensed to use the code.

Aside from that, this calls to mind how GRSecurity releases their patchset; you pay, you get the GPL patches, but if you release them your contract gets revoked and you'll receive no future patches. It's the same sort of thing here.

Either way, Rei doesn't have to give any customer support to people utilizing leaked code.

Only prebuilt builds of delta were shared in his patreon

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Only prebuilt builds of delta were shared in his patreon

I see. That's different from what I heard, and changes things somewhat. He still has to prove the server was misconfigured in this case rather than just saying so, because adding the GPL is a declaration of intent.

If he didn't plan it for a GPL'd release, it makes no sense for those to be present. Licensing should always be absent until release or a notice saying that it's all rights reserved.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I see. That's different from what I heard, and changes things somewhat.

It still however, doesn't answer the question of why the GPL is present as a file as well as all the license headers stating so. If he didn't plan it for a GPL'd release, it makes no sense for those to be present. Licensing should always be absent until release or a notice saying that it's all rights reserved.

well from what I've seen in the patreon channel it's only been prebuilt

I did go a fair way back

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
well from what I've seen in the patreon channel it's only been prebuilt

I did go a fair way back

I edited my post, sorry. It remains that he has to prove that the server was misconfigured, because adding a license to code is a declaration of intent, and the GPL is very clear about these type of things; in short, you don't add any license until release, as far as I am concerned due to how licensing works.

Additionally, changing the server's configuration doesn't prove that it was misconfigured. The code is still however, grey. Whether he can prove the server was misconfigured is what would prove this is legal or not.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whether he can prove the server was misconfigured is what would prove this is legal or not.
Even if that were the case, the fact is that Rei had the files publicly available under GPLv3. Intent kinda falls apart since Rei is the legal copyright holder to those files and the headers with little doubt state that the project is under GPLv3 and digital estoppel means he cannot retract that.

If you'd assume server misconfiguration is at fault, it still doesn't change anything (see StolenCopy in the GPL FAQ[1] if you want to get pedantic) since Rei cannot claim the project is his trade secret (see TradeSecretRelease in the GPL FAQ[1]) since he has been releasing builds to patrons and most importantly, the at the time public source code is a published version of said source code, even if he didn't intent for it to be found (there was no protection mechanism that had to be hijacked or bypassed to gain access to the repository, it was just a public repository).

I do 100% agree though that you shouldn't license something you're not ready to release.

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work