Hacking Do not update your Switch and find a 1.0 if you can

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I might be wrong but I thought @Dinzy was thinking of either:

1. Upgrading his 1.0 to 3.0.2 in order to play Splatoon 2 and Oddessy while leaving the 3.0 stock
  2. Leaving his 1.0 stock and upgrading the 3.0 to 3.0.2 with the hopes of HB on the 1.0 at some point or also having the option of cartridge updating to 3.0
On a more thorough inspection of @Dinzy post, I have to agree. I misread his post although it doesn't seem to be that huge of a decision to me. Keep the one at 3.0 and update the 1.0. If you have no problem buying a cart with a 3.0 update on it, buy it soon as you see it for sale cheap/used and update the one thats on 3.0. It seems pretty unlikely to me that anything that gets released on 1.0, won't be released on 3.0 but I could easily see things not being released on 1.0 that will be on newer FW. This is all just my opinion and I am not anymore in the know than anyone else here, I just try to pay attention and follow all these guys on twitter etc. One thing I will conjecture is that it appears that RoHAN is an easier code path than what was available previously so it doesnt seem to be any reason to target any earlier firmwares.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think, version 1 sounds more logical
Yup me too, but it sounds like he has no problem spending $$$$ on this shit, since he bought an extra console just to put in a closet. So if that's the case I would say just buy that cartridge with the update and put the brand new still in package 1.0 in the closet and that way you have one to sell if you want, or one to hack. You can decide when there are more details what you wanna do.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think staying on 1.0 is best idea. It does not have browser. But anything between 1.0 and 3.0.1 is best option here.

Obviously people have differing opinions on whether one should stay at 1.0.0 (if they are on it), or update to 3.0.0, but it has been stated earlier in this thread, and in other threads, that 1.0.0 does have a web browser. Also, the following page contains some information on the web browser...

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Internet_Browser#1.0.0

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just want to add another small detail here for anyone interested. I was half listening to a stream with several people who are actively working on the Switch while I was working the other night and they started talking about what f/w versions they are on. All of them were on 2.x.x firmware (ie 2.2.0, 2.1.0, 2.3.0) and were waiting to update to 3.0.0, I don't know what that means in relation to this thread, but on the topic of whether or not a general user waiting for homebrew should update I'm pretty sure the general consensus was just don't update past 3.0 which should be fairly obvious to everyone who cares about HB by now.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
it's going to be near possible to find a 1.0 switch soon :P
is yours on 1.0 ?
i am on 2.3.0 , planning to keep it on this until something pops up i guess.

when i need 3.0 i will be forced to order a pokken copy :/ meh

edit: it would be sick if odyssey came with 3.0 , i hope it will , then i will just get that instead of pokken.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is yours on 1.0 ?
i am on 2.3.0 , planning to keep it on this until something pops up i guess.

when i need 3.0 i will be forced to order a pokken copy :/ meh

edit: it would be sick if odyssey came with 3.0 , i hope it will , then i will just get that instead of pokken.

@SciresM already confirmed that Odyssey uses the new crypto, so no 3.0 update for that and unusable under 3.01 :(

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well all we can hope for in the near future would be some sort of FW spoofer that migth allow us to run 3.0+ games.
that would be fantastic.

let us keep them fingers crossed.
It's using a lv0 version check in the same way as Vita with the added protection of efuses, it will require a boot lv0 hack to spoof firmware, something not seen since Wii basically and would require many potential bricks burning efuses just to test a hack out.

Seeing as these guys are interesting only in homebrew and not piracy there's simply no need to hack the Switch at lv0 let alone try.

The other way would be to decrypt, dump and patch the version check out of 3.0.x+ games to use on a loader, however this also requires a lv0 hack available on 3.0.x+ games to get the added encryption keys, which is even less likely and would simply render any hacks on a pre 3.0.x+ FW redundant anyway.

Long story short, these guys won't be spoofing FW ever, it's only use is piracy and it won't happen. With the exploits in the open there's potential for others to try but it will likely come long after a full reverse engineering of the kernel and exploit and a great deal of experimentation and bricked Switches with blown fuses.

It could happen, it could happen next week, it could never ever happen, it's likely to be many years, its most likely that a more recent FW exploit will come first.

Pick, homebrew or games and online, this is the only choice.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would update for Odyssey. Even if someone announced today that there will be homebrew by Christmas it still doesn't seem worth it to me, I would much rather play emulators on my Vita. I see piracy as something to do towards the end of a console's life to try out games that didn't seem interesting enough to buy originally, so I'm happy to wait a few years or whatever for that.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
edit: it would be sick if odyssey came with 3.0
welp guess wat it comes with 3.01 :P

well all we can hope for in the near future would be some sort of FW spoofer that migth allow us to run 3.0+ games.
don't hold your breath :lol:

is yours on 1.0 ?
no and i'll be happily playing MOD at the end of the month and any other game i want (that's right you get a switch to play games) and you'll...be just sitting here refreshing the pages hoping a FW spoofer will appear...when it won't be :rofl2:

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
you'll...be just sitting here refreshing the pages hoping a FW spoofer will appear...when it won't be
well hot damn you hit the nail with this message to many of us here X"D

damn it ahhaha.
but man i will probably ONLY update when either the Tales game comes out or when they announce SSB for the switch, then i will defintely update away.

but for now , there are no games making me want to update.
(went through the trouble of selling my updated switch some month ago in order to get a new with low fw. already).
so i shall hold out for now.

and i wish you and the rest happy gaming with the switch, smo looks soooo good to be honest.

Skeagle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be best to update and just wait until homebrew on the switch is actually good (like 1 to 2 years). When homebrew comes out for switch, it will have almost nothing. Wait until fw 9.0.0 or whatever.

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why I bought 2 switches at launch. Both still on 1.0. With Mario coming out it is tempting but I have more fun modding consoles than playing games on them really. I've only played like an hour of botw when I first got my switch and haven't touched it since. I'm more interested in that sweet sweet kernel

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

D

Deleted User

And this is why I bought 2 switches at launch. Both still on 1.0. With Mario coming out it is tempting but I have more fun modding consoles than playing games on them really. I've only played like an hour of botw when I first got my switch and haven't touched it since. I'm more interested in that sweet sweet kernel

Sent from my toaster running Rebug
lol. Does this mean, your toaster plays Doom as well?:rofl:

Reactions: SmellyPirateMonkey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1