• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you reckon guns should be banned in the U.S.? (Please vote)

Should guns be banned in the U.S.?

• Yes.

Votes: 84 50.9%
  • No.

Votes: 81 49.1%

• Total voters

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
The right to own arms.

Making it so you can't own most arms, that's restricting your right to own arms, and therefore is bad.

Committing crimes or being mentally ill should be grounds for losing rights, but you can't restrict certain arms since that's constitution breaking.
Well.
Regulated.
Militia.

Also
Arms' definition is weapons and ammunition; armaments.
So...
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The constitution never said what arms couldn't be restricted.
Thus:
You could fully restrict guns, give everyone the right to keep and bear shortswords, and suddenly everything is fine.

Do some research.

yes, which is what the background checks and licenses are for.

if that's not well regulated, i don't know what is.
It's not well regulated.

AlineP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Taser is safer than a weapon designed for killing.
Less people die with a shot of a taser than firearms

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.
Regulated.
Militia.

Also
Arms' definition is weapons and ammunition; armaments.
So...
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The constitution never said what arms couldn't be restricted.
Thus:
You could fully restrict guns, give everyone the right to keep and bear shortswords, and suddenly everything is fine.

Do some research.
I'd argue the opposite, not specifying any arms means that they can't ban any.
It's not well regulated.
I don't know man, background checks and licenses seem well regulated enough to me.

AlineP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In Brazil the defense argument for "freedom of firearms" is because criminals here have lots of guns so it is fair to "good citizens" have guns too.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In Brazil the defense argument for "freedom of firearms" is because criminals here have lots of guns so it is fair to "good citizens" have guns too.
lol freedom of firearm , its made to kill stuffs , it should only be allowed to people with the training and the need for it but not as a Civillians defending itself because you will end up with too many people getting it .some with mental issues they might not even know they have and they just look normal . making it available to the public is something with way more negatives than positives .

Reactions: AlineP

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Right now, a Chinese state agent is the third post popular presidential candidate in my country. Eventuallly they could take over your country like this. You'll want the guns.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need more options on this poll.

The way I see it, we do - at the very least - need some more strict licensing requirements for gun ownership. Owning a gun in general requires a certain amount of responsibility, and not every state is the same when it comes to their regulations. Some are more strict, while others are far too lenient.

I think that IF we are going to keep automatics legal in this country, then like vehicle licenses, there needs to be a special license to acquire such heavier firearms.
  • There should be a license for basic carry, which should apply to your standard pistol and hunting rifle, a license for concealed carry (if your state allows it) and a specialized license for automatic carry, which should be far more strict, and should be renewed every 3 years, while a basic and concealed carry should be renewed every 5 years.
  • Guns should ONLY be sold at locations that are permitted to register the firearm, and should be registered on the spot.
  • Automatics should be sent by the dealer to the place where you got your carrier's licensed so they can handle the proper checks before passing the firearm to you. This basically creates a two-level check system before you can get your hands on an automatic.
  • You must present your license and the registration for the firearm every time you purchase ammunition for said firearm.
  • It should be illegal to sell or gift your firearm to another individual under ANY circumstance, and if you sell/gift it to an unlicensed individual, then you should be held equally liable for any damage or harm committed by said individual.
Ultimately, when it comes to the right to bare arms, it's a freedom that requires a great deal of responsibility, as it's a freedom that does come with the potential to inflict lethal harm upon others from a long range and with very little effort. And sorry, but I don't buy the whole "give every good guy a gun" scenario when there were several good guys with guns who did NOTHING at the classroom door for nearly an hour until a border patrolman finally decided, "fuck this, we have to go in and stop this guy." Also, I highly doubt our founding fathers ever anticipated that we would have automatic firearms that people could get a hold of willy-nilly and start shooting up schools.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if everyone in the US is so tissy about "right to bare arms". Go with 1776 tech then...
with that argument, no more modern tech, since that wasn't around in 1776!

it's like the founding fathers knew that tech would evolve, and it wouldn't stay musket and single shot forever!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
with that argument, no more modern tech, since that wasn't around in 1776!
Since we talk about guns, sure! I wouldn't mind if you US citizens all just used muskets instead of Machine guns for defense. The modern stuff can be kept to the Police and the Military.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we talk about guns, sure! I wouldn't mind if you US citizens all just used muskets instead of Machine guns for defense. The modern stuff can be kept to the Police and the Military.
Eh, no more smartphones, in fact, nothing except a quill and pen, horse drawn carriages, and that's it!

Those weren't around back then, how are we supposed to know what the founding fathers would have thought of it???????

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically the "it was written back in 1776, so it only applies to 1776 weapons!" argument is really fucking stupid, and another word that I'm not even sure is allowed.

If that was true, then nothing except stuff from 1776 and before would be allowed, since hey, the founding fathers didn't have it, so why should we?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2